Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old proposal for QBC through Merlin Woods causes new controversy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was a terrible idea from the getgo. Whats the "new" controversy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The proposal was put into two consecutive City Development Plans, reportedly.

I don't recall any previous kerfuffle about it. If the Merlin Woods QBC wasn't wanted when it was first proposed, how did it get into the current Development Plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

I hope the fox eats the squirrel. The concept predates 2005 by a good margin in any event. Not that it's likely to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

what the **** is the squirrell eating......:D

I think it was conceived originally to serve the proposed Ardaun Corridor, something else we won't need to worry about for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When dd critters ever stop a road project in Galway? :P

snubbleste wrote: »
    When dd critters ever stop a road project in Galway? :P

If they tore down the woods and exposed the rock underneath, they'd stop it no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    If they tore down the woods and exposed the rock underneath, they'd stop it no bother.

Chances are , more 'rare' limestone could be found...:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I believe I'm right in saying that in the U.K. Red Squirrel habitation areas are considered to be SAC's and as such cannot be touched. Is it not the same here?.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The proposal was put into two consecutive City Development Plans, reportedly.

I don't recall any previous kerfuffle about it. If the Merlin Woods QBC wasn't wanted when it was first proposed, how did it get into the current Development Plan?

The general public didn't really notice this proposal until after the current Plan was signed off. Yes the proposal was there in the first plan, but it kinda escaped people's attention. (You know what great fun these things are to read!).

Also, in the meantime, the Doughiska area has developed hugely: in 2003 it was fields and about 200 residents, now it's a bunch of estates that collectively are bigger than many small towns. Also, the motorway opening has focussed people's attention of where the roadway ends, and what the planners originally intended to do "finish" the roadway off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I believe I'm right in saying that in the U.K. Red Squirrel habitation areas are considered to be SAC's and as such cannot be touched. Is it not the same here?.

The red squirrel is protected under the 2000 Wildlife Act and is also supposed to be protected via the 1982 Bern Convention. It's not a threatened Red List species or scheduled in our Habitats regulations.... yet, if it was then the various prohibitions would kick in and maybe the woods could to be proposed as a candidate SAC. In the meantime the city's TDs and councillors need an ear bashing on this one, seems to be another prime example of blinkered bash-on-regardless / face-saving 'management'.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It does seem odd that a piece of infrastructure such as a QBC could be included in two consecutive City Development Plans without being noticed until very late in the day.

Mind you, I'm aware of at least one instance where it went the other way, ie an objective agreed by the Councillors did not subsequently appear in the actual Dev Plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is the suggestion to bring the QBC through the actual woods, or just widening the Dublin Road in to the fields between the road and the woods to give a QBC on that side to complement the one on the Galway Crystal side?

I can't imagine they mean through the actual woods. Sure that wouldn't be parallel to or part of the existing oubound road. It would be a deviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What I've heard is that the corridor would go from Fearann Ri pretty much in a straight-ish line to Merlin Park Hospital entrance?

http://www.galwaycity.ie/SmarterTravel/Appendix1.pdf map 16

kraggy wrote: »
    Is the suggestion to bring the QBC through the actual woods, or just widening the Dublin Road in to the fields between the road and the woods to give a QBC on that side to complement the one on the Galway Crystal side?

I can't imagine they mean through the actual woods. Sure that wouldn't be parallel to or part of the existing oubound road. It would be a deviation.

No, straight through the woods it is. Imagine projecting the last section of the motorway on in a straight line and that's more or less it.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    No, straight through the woods it is. Imagine projecting the last section of the motorway on in a straight line and that's more or less it.

Lads, look at the map i linked to before, thru the woods it is

What map? I don't see a link in your previous post? Was it in some other thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

But sure, why go through the woods? It would save all of about 2 minutes. There's already a bus lane from Castlegar hurling club meaning the buses fly in to Merlin in about 90 seconds as it is.

biko wrote: »
    What map? I don't see a link in your previous post? Was it in some other thread?

this one I'd say... www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84192283&postcount=39

when viewed with satellite imagery the route on the map is a pretty damning indictment of the level of intelligence that has gone into the planning of this most essential piece of public infrastructure.

jkforde wrote: »
    this one I'd say... www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84192283&postcount=39

when viewed with satellite imagery the route on the map is a pretty damning indictment of the level of intelligence that has gone into the planning of this most essential piece of public infrastructure.

In fairness, it's an indicative line to show the concept. There's almost a clear corridor there for much of the length of it.

The road wouldn't be all that wide if they ever actually build it. No cars or trucks allowed. I can't see it happening though.

• Advertisement

by the way, this is a screenshot of the unwooded area just north of Merlin Wood as can seen on Google Maps satellite imagery..... is this writing on the ground?! or is it time for some shut eye??

jkforde wrote: »
    is this writing on the ground?!
    ancient-aliens-evolution-240x180.png

biko wrote: »
    ancient-aliens-evolution-240x180.png

Now, he wasn't saying they were space aliens. But they were space aliens.

kraggy wrote: »
    But sure, why go through the woods? It would save all of about 2 minutes. There's already a bus lane from Castlegar hurling club meaning the buses fly in to Merlin in about 90 seconds as it is.

Indeed. Im not even sure if the plan is to send local buses down it. Main people behind it, as i understand, are the tour operators.

But notice that many of the galway to dublin express buses dont even use the dublin rd, they head out the monivea rd instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Yeah you definitely see at least both Citybus and Gobus going up the Monivea way if you're waiting for a local bus there.

Advertisement