Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question

Options
  • 22-04-2013 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

A friend of mine recently renewed his car insurance. He recieved a quote for third party only and decided to accept it. He went in person to the insurance brokers offices, where he paid the agreed premium. However upon reading the policy schedule he noticed that it says "comprehensive" rather than TPO.

In the event of an accident is he therefore covered full comp?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

They may have mistakenly handed him the pre-prepared renewal schedule for Comp before he decided to reduce cover to TPO. A new schedule may be in the process of being issued

While you could argue your case in the event of an accident, I wouldn't rely on it personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Not too sure about that as the policy schedule also includes the amount which he paid. If pre-prepared I think that the amount previously qouted for full comp would have been printed on it rather than the amount paid for TPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Kungfu wrote: »
    Not too sure about that as the policy schedule also includes the amount which he paid. If pre-prepared I think that the amount previously qouted for full comp would have been printed on it rather than the amount paid for TPO.

If the schedule is on the Insurer's paper, it looks as if Comp cover is in place. If it is on the broker's paper, I wouldn't rely on it. You would have to sue them for negligence (good chance of success) but there are likely to be recorded calls of the initial request for TPO cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Kungfu wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently renewed his car insurance. He recieved a quote for third party only and decided to accept it. He went in person to the insurance brokers offices, where he paid the agreed premium. However upon reading the policy schedule he noticed that it says "comprehensive" rather than TPO.

In the event of an accident is he therefore covered full comp?
    Personally I would not leave this hanging but contact the insurer and clarify the position.
    Always better to know where you stand from the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Where I stand as farv as I am concerned is that I have insurance papers issued by the insurance company that in the small print says that it is a legal contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"I", "friend"

Hmmm.

Whichever of you may be in question, I wouldn't wait until you or he has an accident to test your belief. You or he could find signifigant issues.

You or he should seek proper advice. Something we cannot provide you/him here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement