Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 week check?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

As per advice from the hospital and midwives, we went for our two week check the other day with my GP. We arrived in, and she was kind of annoyed (having a bad day? I don't know) and said to us that 'there is no such thing as a 2 week check'. She checked his heart anyway, and weighed him, then basically sent us on our way. We felt as though we had wasted her time. Is this normal, or do I need to change GP?! Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

holding wrote: »
    As per advice from the hospital and midwives, we went for our two week check the other day with my GP. We arrived in, and she was kind of annoyed (having a bad day? I don't know) and said to us that 'there is no such thing as a 2 week check'. She checked his heart anyway, and weighed him, then basically sent us on our way. We felt as though we had wasted her time. Is this normal, or do I need to change GP?! Thanks for any advice :)

The HSE certainly think there is a 2 week check, and a 6 week one.

If you cannot get to the HSE site, it says
    After the birth, the GP will examine the baby at 2 weeks and both mother and baby at 6 weeks.

Some seem to think that the Public Health nurse would be doing this however.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Thanks Gerard. All the paperwork I have says that there should be a 2 week check too. There was an additional test that the midwives said we should ask her to do on the baby, and she didn't do it and implied that the midwives were mad! Might be time to change GP so I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My gp did not seem to think there was a need for 2wk check either. Phn insisted I go for it that it was paid for.
    But I've heard from loads of people that GPs try to put you off .

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Same experience here. They checked her head, general appearance and temperature and that was it. They seemed not to know what had to be done tbh.

I was a little embarrassed as I thought I was the one who had got it all wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Yep there is a 2 week and 6 week post natal checkup with your GP included in the combined care scheme. Baby seen at two weeks and both mom & baby at six weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

At our 2 wk check up we didn't even take the little man out of his car seat, doc felt his head checked his heart and just said he looks fine, then checked my blood pressure. I got the impression the 6 wk check would be more thorough for both of us. Be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Our PHN told us not to bother going for 2 week check do we didn't. Just had the six week check and she measured and weighed him and checked his head. Only took 5 mins.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Our 2 week check was with the maternity hospital as was the 6 week check, even though I did combined care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭uli84

Ginny-which hospital were you with?
    I was not under combined care scheme & not looking forward to paying circa 110 euro for the two 5 min visits when it seems all the GP does is weigh the baby...
    Hoping to get 6 week check at the hospital clinic I was attending during my pregnancy..

I was with the Rotunda. I'm assuming if you do the 2/6 week check with GP under the combined care system you don't have to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I think its important that your GP, no matter if deep down they think you're wasting their time, do not make you feel that way so in short a change of gp would be my suggestion. At our 2 wk check the wee man was stripped down, weight, all his parts checked head to toe, etc. And just genuinely interested by the birth and how it was going etc. No more than 15min, but a very pleasant comforting visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭uli84

Ginny wrote: »
    I was with the Rotunda. I'm assuming if you do the 2/6 week check with GP under the combined care system you don't have to pay?

That's right but I wasn't under the combined care so I suppose I will need to cover those 2 visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

My GP told me they have stopped covering the 2 week check and I had to pay for it in the end. The 6 week was part of combined care and I didn't pay for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

With my first daughter I had combined care ( hospital birth ) and home birth with second - both times my gp did 2 and 6 week check up no charge. Both visits girls were checked from head to toe. Also I was checked on the second visit.

uli84 wrote: »
    That's right but I wasn't under the combined care so I suppose I will need to cover those 2 visits.

If you weren't under the cc scheme, I would have assumed the hospital would do the checks?

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/maternity/combinedcare.html
    This is relatively up to date, GPs should cover the 2&6 week check under CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I was told by PHN that the GP will get paid for the 2 week check whether we attended or not, we didn't attend as all was well thankfully and the nurse was very thorough at both home visits so I felt confident enough to wait for 6 week check, baby was thoroughly checked at this visit, however I wasn't, I sometimes wonder about changing GP aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Hi OP,

First of all, congratulations on your little bundle of joy. I live in a country where all babies are routinely checked every week for about 4-6 weeks by a paediatrician....for longer if they think it's necessary. (With no charge, healthcare is free.) They strip and weigh the babies, check limbs etc. I honestly found it a bit excessive, but it's a good way for the parents to be able to raise any questions or doubts they might be having. I found it very reassuring, being on my own with no experience of a newborn.

To be honest, I'd be more worried about your doctor's reaction. It's not his/her job to make you feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. Being a new parent is stressful enough without being made feel that you are in some way 'wasting' their precious time. You should at least be able to rely on a healthcare professional, to know that there is someone you can ask any question you might need to, even just someone who can reassure you. I'm not sure if that's the role of the PHN in Ireland?

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't underestimate the importance of a 'sensitive' doctor in the confusing early stages of having a young child.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Thanks a mil for all the replies. Think it is a combination of the GP being quite brusque (definitely time to change GP so!), and some kind of disconnect between GPs and midwives/ maternity hospitals. It's not the first time that they disagreed on our care - during my pregnancy my GP did a blood test for gestational diabetes at about 4 months gone, and the hospital midwives went mad saying that the GP had no call to do that, that they administered that test etc.

Jana the PHN is fantastic. I popped down to her this morning and she basically checked all the stuff the GP was supposed to, plus she gave me the once over and had a nice chat with me too. In and out in less than 10 minutes, but it was very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Ah I'm glad you got on well with the PHN. Sometimes all we need is a bit of reassurance and to know that if we have any doubts or questions we can call a pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

My gp gave me a print out of all the visits i was intitled too with her, during an after my pregnancy (all free of charge) and there is a 2 week check up for baby...
    She was Very nice and thorough on all visits i have to say.
    Defo change ur doctor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't do combined care but did two and six week checkups. Very thorough they were too, baby weighed, checked eyes/ears, vaccines discussed, general chat about how breastfeeding was going. Also got a thorough check myself, how I was coping, contraceptive advice and PND was raised. At six weeks GP also checked section scar and my genital area and uterus. I didn't pay, and my practice isn't shy about charging.

Advertisement