Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Bankers & Government the only ones to blame?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

the government gave us what we wanted so they could stay in power
    the banks didn't care all that much because they're banks
    most of ireland got greedy and want to blame everyone else now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

What if you were lied to by the Banks and were assured you'll be able to pay off the loan no problem? And everyone you'ld trust in this matter from media analysts to economists told you buying a house would be a safe bet as far as investment goes?

That's exactly what the Bankers want you to believe now "The people knew what they were getting themselves into and thus its totally their fault this all has happened!". What they won't tell you is how they and the whole society lied to them regarding how they would be able to pay off the mortgage easily over the years or/and will end up with a great investment.

If people played as safe and cautiously as you expect them to play, then no one would ever take a loan for anything unless it was an absolute necessity. No one would ever buy a house, no one would ever start a business, no one would buy a new car and economy will simply stagnate.

Again if you simply say "this happened because people bought more than they could afford" then it only shows your lack of knowledge and understanding of the subject.

People are consumers not economists and the consumer can be exploited. Banks are a business not a service. When a business sells a fraudulent deal, its the business, not the consumer that is deemed guilty and persecuted.

The Banks sold a fraudulent deal to the people. Then the Banks got away with it "to protect the consumer" and the consumer is now being blamed for not being careful and knowledgeable enough to recognise a fraudulent deal. Nice.

No one knows what will happen in the future.

How can an economy survive when people don't have to adhere to a contract, all they have to do is say someone lied to them. If we want to live in a functioning society and economy people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

So what if people were wrong about the economy, it is each individuals responsibility to make the best decision for themselves. Anyone who blindly commits to pay half a million back to a lender based on what other people said without looking into the logic of the decision through their own eyes is a fukcing moron.

We can't live in a prosperous society by treating people like children.

the government gave us what we wanted so they could stay in power
    the banks didn't care all that much because they're banks
    most of ireland got greedy and want to blame everyone else now

How were the banks greedy exactly?

It is a business' goal to maximise profit, that's what they are supposed to do.

What the banks did was make bad decisions which eroded profits. I don't see the relevance of greed.

Banks don't exist to with the primary goal of serving customers interests, their primary goal is to maximise profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Why do the media not question the auditors who gave the banks a clean bill of health when really they were fuucked. I'm talking about the big five, KPMG, PWC,Delloitte.... etc.
    Then KPMG get to run NAMA, win win for them.

+1000

The single most impressive achievement of our modern 'ruling classes' is the fact that they've destroyed the international economy, wandered off into the sunset with their pockets loaded with cash (or in some cases, actually got even richer on the back of the crisis), lumped their debts on the taxpayer, and we're blaming ourselves.

Incredible really.

Amen to that!

I'm heartily sick of people blaming those who took out overpriced mortgages - while ignoring the fact that the majority of mortgages so far are performing.

The truth is, the economic mess to date has been caused by non-existent banking regulation, a deliberately inflated property bubble, and some very greedy golden circle members.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Of course they were forced to believe a lie by the media, politicians and the Bankers.

Nobody was forced to believe anything.

There was a lot of propaganda out there promoting eternal growth, but to say people were forced to believe anything is a downright lie.

Some people made mistakes in taking out big mortgages because they could afford them at the time and thought the good times would last forever. Their mistake and they are stuck with those consequences.

For some reason the people at the top seem to have walked away scot free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How were the banks greedy exactly?

It is a business' goal to maximise profit, that's what they are supposed to do.

What the banks did was make bad decisions which eroded profits. I don't see the relevance of greed.

Banks don't exist to with the primary goal of serving customers interests, their primary goal is to maximise profits.

The banks were greedy by lending to people who couldn't afford to repay their loans.

100% mortgages should never have been allowed. Small dip in house prices means the mortgage holder goes straight into negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

CJC999 wrote: »
    More importantly...What filling was in the €10 sandwich???

I would like it noted that I have never bought a cup of coffee ever nor have I ever paid €10 for a sandwich so I cannot be blamed for any of this.

I got a plain roast beef sandwich in a petrol station in Finglas once and when i went to the counter to pay i was asked for €11!
    Needless to say i left it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

UR MA!

(had to be done)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I wish i was 23 in 2001 and capable of borrowing Millions.Wouldn't have to pay back a penny now.

But i wasn't 23 and i didn't borrow anything (other than a small credit union loan for a car which is now paid off) and don't have to pay back anything now.

I'll just stroll back to my rented apartment in smugsville now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Short answer yes.

Long answer is also yes but its the way the whole modern Banking system works rather than just a few "greedy bankers". The "greedy bankers" are only a byproduct of a system that depends on the exploitation of the public to build in wealth and power. People like to think its a conspiracy theory because frankly its much simpler to believe everything is ok and go about living your life as you do. Blame the bankers and the government for the problem and life carries on. And thus nothing changes. Banks and governments continue to function in the same way and the people will remain angry and dissatisfied with everything in the same way. But the bottom line is life goes on and that's the plan after all. As long as people get enough to get by, no matter how much noise they make, life will go on and everything can remain the same.

Many economists for the past decades have been warning us regarding the instability of the modern banking system and how it will go through boom and bust cycles while through all of this the ultimate losers will be the governments and the general public while the only winners will be the banks. But as long as people can get by and there are enough people facing the same problem, there's distribution of responsibility and life will go on.

To give a more specific answer, people will spend what they can afford to spend and vendors will charge as much as the people are willing to spend.
    Spending is always healthy for the market. It keeps wealth in circulation allowing businesses and infrastructure to grow and in turn there are more and better services for the people. If people stop spending the market will stagnate, businesses will go bust, people will lose jobs, more people will be forced to resort to social welfare that will put more strain on the government expenditures which will force the government to increase taxes and ultimately it'll be the people who lose out!

If people want to buy a €10 sandwich, let them buy. If people want to buy two houses, let them have it. As long as people can afford such things businesses are supported and can grow, people will have jobs, wealth can be distributed and everyone wins.

When a wealthy person buys a €200K Ferrari, you need to thank him for it. Because his purchase supports the person running the dealership. The dealership supports the people working in the dealership. Without his purchase, the dealership will run out of business and the people working there will lose their job. His €200K also support all the thousands of people working in the Ferrari factory building the car. It supports the companies who ship the cars from the factory to the dealership and it supports the truck driver who drivers the trucks for the company. So this one wealthy person's indulgence is supporting the lives of thousands of people. This is why people like capitalism.

Spending is always a good thing as long as the right price is payed for the product. The problem occurs when the right price is not payed for the product. When you buy a €10 t-shirt, you have ripped off the store where you bought the shirt, you've ripped off the employees at the store who get paid minimum wage to work long hours in the store. You've ripped off the poor Indonesian family who get paid next to nothing and work as slave labour making the shirts. You've ripped off the shipping company which exploits its employees that distributes the shirts from the factory to the stores. Basically because you've decided to save money, you're in turn supporting a whole industry of exploitation of labour. This is why people dislike capitalism!
    Its not a bad idea if there is enough market to support the industry. If people can afford to buy a house (which they could back in 2006) then nothing wrong with building houses for people to buy. The construction sector was one of the biggest employment sector in the country supporting thousands of people.

Now who is to blame for giving out risky mortgages like candy pops so that the banks can horde capital and grow bigger??

Again its not the fault of the people. People will buy what they can afford. Most people who bought a house back in the boom years did so because they could afford to buy a house back them. They had stable jobs with stable incomes.

Things went wrong because modern economies are designed to collapse.
    During boom banks give out risky loans and investments allowing people to afford to purchase things they wouldn't otherwise be able to purchase. Then when the economy collapses, suddenly people lose their jobs or undergo pay cuts, they can no longer afford to pay their mortgage and lose their "investments". In the end the Banks own all the property, governments are forced to inject money into the banks to keep the system from completely collapsing and people still having enough to go by. Ultimately the Banks gain wealth as the people lose their mortgages or the value of their "investments". After a few years things equalise, people adjust to the market. People with no jobs emigrate, people who have jobs learn to live by on the lower wages and higher taxes. After its all equalised, the banks once again start giving out easy loans allowing people to afford things they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford stimulating markets and thus starting a new boom cycle!

this man gets it, have a read of all his posts after this one, Im not quite sure if he said it, but regulation is to blame, goverment control regulation or should, so in essence the goverment of the day fina failure are to blame, without what they did to de regulate the housing market like was done in US under regan in the 1980's, NONE of the rest could have happened to such a destructive level. financial regulation IS THE FIRST DOMINO!!!! once this domino falls, the rest will follow....as they did!

also the government Fina Failure took DIRECT steps to try to keep the bubble inflating by lowering [and even abolishing it completely?] stamp duty which is a tax on buying a house around €10 000~ or so and so making houses cheaper, so more even dumber people can just about 'afford' a house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The banks were greedy by lending to people who couldn't afford to repay their loans.

100% mortgages should never have been allowed. Small dip in house prices means the mortgage holder goes straight into negative equity.
    You do know there were people phoning Whineline and posting on forums complaining when banks refused them mortgages.
    Little did they know at the time how lucky they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

kingsenny wrote: »
    Someone made an interesting point in saying that population as a whole was as much to blame for the current state of the country as the bankers and government are.

He cited vast overspending but households (double mortagages), where some had only one earner in a non-professional job.

He cites paying €4 cups of coffees, €10 sandwiches as ludicrous.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about these sentiments.

How does everyone else feel?

It's pretty simple really. People borrowed too much and now they are pissed off that they have to pay it back.
    Banks were reckless for sure but surely grown adults should take responsibility for their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In the same way that a normal trader won't sell me something for 100 if it costs him 200, (he'll go out of busines pretty quickly if he was doing that), the banks were effectively guilty of mismanagement and the ultimate punishment should be going out of business.

Lending loads when there was a strong risk attached to it, huge concentration to the property sector etc., such as Anglo in particular.

Why not just guarantee the deposits, up to a certain limit such as 100,000, and let them go bust.
    Remember Anglo had the highest deposit interest rate as well, so hence people should be accepting higher risk.

It's a natural thing that efficiently run businesses survive and can thrive in any environment, poorly managed outfits go bust all the time in many industries.

People need banks, so there'll always be money to be made in banking in Ireland. If Anglo & co. collapse let more efficiently run banks come in and fill the void.

I know in my job that if I make the biggest error I could possibly make, worst case scenario is the company goes bust, not the entire country goes bust. Nor should it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Back in 2006 things were very much different. Everyone was forced to believe such a collapse would never happen. People were forced to believe the value of a house can only go up over time..
    How exactly were people 'forced' to believe these things?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Why scum? Why greedy? Is the shopkeeper, who suddenly notices that everybody wants to buy bananas (whatever the reason), finds a way to sell even more bananas, as that's what people want, any different?

Why are the men and women who work for these institutions called "scum"? Because they are out to make money? Are you not?

Are you just jealous that you cannot earn the kind of money they do? So its just easy to call them "greedy scum"?
    This kind of apologist nonsense is reprehensible, these banks are the primary drivers of the property bubble, and deliberately inflating financial bubbles for profit, in a way that causes enormous damage to the economy, is an incredibly sociopathic thing to do.

I mean really, people go on that others 'should have known' when they were taking out a mortgage, that the property boom was unsustainable, yet the private banks were just innocent bystanders who apparently had no idea they were stoking a massive bubble. What nonsense.

The people who knowingly pumped the property bubble are scum of the highest order, and I would say sociopaths to boot; they are the kind of people that will happily exploit and engage in rent-seeking on the rest of society, and have the gall to try and openly justify it (yet never the gall to admit the full extent of their actions, or acknowledge the societal damage caused).

It's these same fúckers who will have the financial clout, to lobby government into providing a favourable regulatory situation, that allows them to continue on with the same blowing up of bubbles and rent-seeking on the rest of society.

If people earn ridiculous amounts of money through genuine hard work, then I applaud that, but these types who would deliberately cause significant damage to the real economy and to society, to reap their own personal profits, are some of the worst sociopaths alive, and are wholly ethically/morally/intellectually corrupt in a revolting way.

Zebra3 wrote: »

I don't see the relevance if greed, they are obliged by the owners to be greedy and maximise profits for them. They simply made bad decisions which resulted in losses rather than profits.

This kind of apologist nonsense is reprehensible, these banks are the primary drivers of the property bubble, and deliberately inflating financial bubbles for profit, in a way that causes enormous damage to the economy, is an incredibly sociopathic thing to do.

I mean really, people go on that others 'should have known' when they were taking out a mortgage, that the property boom was unsustainable, yet the private banks were just innocent bystanders who apparently had no idea they were stoking a massive bubble. What nonsense.

The people who knowingly pumped the property bubble are scum of the highest order, and I would say sociopaths to boot; they are the kind of people that will happily exploit and engage in rent-seeking on the rest of society, and have the gall to try and openly justify it (yet never the gall to admit the full extent of their actions, or acknowledge the societal damage caused).

It's these same fúckers who will have the financial clout, to lobby government into providing a favourable regulatory situation, that allows them to continue on with the same blowing up of bubbles and rent-seeking on the rest of society.

If people earn ridiculous amounts of money through genuine hard work, then I applaud that, but these types who would deliberately cause significant damage to the real economy and to society, to reap their own personal profits, are some of the worst sociopaths alive, and are wholly ethically/morally/intellectually corrupt in a revolting way.

Absolute nonsense, do you think running a bank isn't hard work?

You are saying that banks knowingly pumped up the bubble, if they were so knowledgeable of the future economic circumstances why did they not prevent their own demise.

They simply made bad decisions, they weren't out to do evil, they were out to maximise profits as that is what they are required to do by their owners (the shareholders).

Absolute nonsense, do you think running a bank isn't hard work?

You are saying that banks knowingly pumped up the bubble, if they were so knowledgeable of the future economic circumstances why did they not prevent their own demise.

They simply made bad decisions, they weren't out to do evil, they were out to maximise profits as that is what they are required to do by their owners (the shareholders).
    Bank managers don't give a toss about the bank, they care about their salary, their bonuses and their pension; fraud today is about looting companies (which includes banks), which is done by the CEO/director/managerial class within those companies (and from within a bank, they can loot a significant portion of the entire economy).
    The banks didn't meet any demise either; they have been bailed out.

To you, banks pumping the property bubble is just 'maximizing profits' and is therefore totally ok and justifiable; bollocks. Knowingly pumping a property bubble, that they know will lead to a massive economic crash and societal damage, is nothing less than pure sociopathic greed, and 'scum' as a description of people who were fully conscious of what they were doing, is a very mild criticism; these people should be rooted out, prosecuted, and financially/reputationally destroyed.

A lot of people should be in jail for perpetuating this bubble, and apologist arguments defending that are reprehensible (and is typical that they, by and large, come primarily from those working in or moving to work in, the same industry).

A more general reply to the thread:
    Kind of a contrary topic title, seeing as (at least on boards anyway) you more often hear the "we're all to blame" crowd, who put all the blame on society as a whole, and shift blame away from banks/finance.

The people saying "you should have seen it coming" and such, expect people to have been expert economists with great forsight; this totally ignoring that the vast majority of actual economists did not see this coming, bar a tiny minority.

Ireland has a pretty crap rental market, making that a not so practical alternative for living a life and raising a family; so, property ownership is heavily incentivized by such a situation.

This means that banks should not have inflated the price of houses in the first place, by throwing out loads of credit, into an unsustainable property boom; purchases that were previously sustainable for buyers, only become unsustainable because of the banks stoking property prices so high, leading to a bubble and burst, that decimated jobs, wages and increased living costs.

It's rather convenient a level of scapegoating really, to just try and lame blame on the people and/or government; blame is always being shifted away from banks and finance in these discussions, which is alway rather suspect, because that is the one place there needs to be serious reform and criminal prosecution for fraud.

Also, it's very strange the mentality towards banks "they were only doing what they do, making a profit", and suddenly that means it's all ok? Fúck that, they're not there to be let blow up bubbles in the economy free from consequence, driving us into economic crisis and putting financial burdens on entire populations, and in many cases comitting fraud (i.e. breaking the law) in the process. Really weird mentality that, which seems to put them above the law.

It's attitudes like that, which are pretty prevalent, which makes me think banking/finanace (and perhaps wider areas of business) in Ireland, is full of systemic fraud at all levels, and that nothing is going to change until people start getting put in prison for white-collar crime, and money-trails start getting followed to discover the criminals/fraudsters, and have them ruined.

By the blame shifting "we're all to blame" crap, it's as if many think actually dealing with these fraud and regulatory issues isn't the real problem, but it is 'the people' instead; bullshít. People need to start getting put away in jail for a very long time, and having their assets seized, to deal with this fraud; can't see that happening in this country anytime soon.

Since government isn't going to earnestly undertake any such investigation (only crippled investigations where nobody is ever prosecuted), and journalists in this country seem neutered, it would be good to see more independent investigations carried out; this would not last long, before those involved in investigating/publishing start getting dragged through the courts and harassed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

kingsenny wrote: »
    He cited vast overspending but households (double mortagages), where some had only one earner in a non-professional job.

that there...theres your problem boss!

but it takes two (or perhaps three or four or five) to tango

gobsh1tes to put themselves in debt they had no realistic chance of paying back [I could well have been that gobsh1te]

gobsh1tes in power to allow/engineer this situation to have a nice budget for buying votes/feathering their own nest

gobsh1tes in banks to to agressively sell unsustainable loans for short term commissions and healthy looking balance sheet to boost share prices

gobsh1tes/shills in media/auctioneering to continually hype up the thing and create a feeding frenzy

amongst all these gobsh1tes were scumbags who knew exactly what was happening and played the whole thing to their advantage

also amongst all these gobsh1tes were people who knew well what was happening but also knew it was a runaway train and they might as well ride it until it was time to get off and leave the gobsh1tes to it

Gobsh1tes Ted, Gobsh1tes!

• Advertisement

Bank managers don't give a toss about the bank, they care about their salary, their bonuses and their pension; fraud today is about looting companies (which includes banks), which is done by the CEO/director/managerial class within those companies (and from within a bank, they can loot a significant portion of the entire economy).
    The banks didn't meet any demise either; they have been bailed out.

To you, banks pumping the property bubble is just 'maximizing profits' and is therefore totally ok and justifiable; bollocks. Knowingly pumping a property bubble, that they know will lead to a massive economic crash and societal damage, is nothing less than pure sociopathic greed, and 'scum' as a description of people who were fully conscious of what they were doing, is a very mild criticism; these people should be rooted out, prosecuted, and financially/reputationally destroyed.

A lot of people should be in jail for perpetuating this bubble, and apologist arguments defending that are reprehensible (and is typical that they, by and large, come primarily from those working in or moving to work in, the same industry).

The banks "pumping the bubble" wasn't maximising profits, it resulted in losses. It was a mistake which the owners of the banks paid for, their entire shareholder value was wiped out. The owners lost their entire investment in the banks as a result of bad decisions.

You keep saying the banks knew their lending practices would lead to a property crash. You are talking out of your hole. If they knew their would be a property crash then why would they knowingly make huge losses?

Let's be honest, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. You just want someone to be angry with, like a teenager whinging to their parents because they don't get enough pocket money.

You feel powerless in life, and just want to take out your frustrations on any entity you see in power, logic doesn't really matter, you can twist it how you want.

I've heard it all now, the banks knew te property crash was coming so made losses on purpose. Oh, and they're greedy too. If you're greedy surely you want to make profits .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Lax regulation and excessive/high risk lending in the banking sector along with populist funding decisions by politicians more concerned with winning votes than sound economic management were huge factors in the boom and bust we experienced.

However, a lot of Irish people drew down the loans on offer from the banks and elected the politicans who promised them the most.

There is no one person or sector or reason at which we can lay the blame. A lot of people were complicit in the general madness that went on.

Anyway - the issue of blame is only useful in trying to put in place systems to try to ensure it doesn't happen again. By all means prosecute those bankers or politicans who have broken the law - but, it won't change the current economic situation we find ourselves in.

I'd prefer if there was more focus on solutions.

The banks "pumping the bubble" wasn't maximising profits, it resulted in losses. It was a mistake which the owners of the banks paid for, their entire shareholder value was wiped out. The owners lost their entire investment in the banks as a result of bad decisions.

You keep saying the banks knew their lending practices would lead to a property crash. You are talking out of your hole. If they knew their would be a property crash then why would they knowingly make huge losses?

Let's be honest, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. You just want someone to be angry with, like a teenager whinging to their parents because they don't get enough pocket money.

You feel powerless in life, and just want to take out your frustrations on any entity you see in power, logic doesn't really matter, you can twist it how you want.

I've heard it all now, the banks knew te property crash was coming so made losses on purpose. Oh, and they're greedy too. If you're greedy surely you want to make profits .
    Yes that was maximizing profits - for the CEO's/directors/managers, who got nice salary/bonus/pension perks for the increased short-term profits; fraud isn't about the long-term success of the business, it is about looting what you can in the short-term.

They don't give a toss about shareholders, or the business itself, once they've personally achieved their own gains; all of this was said in the post you reply to, yet you obtusely ignore, because you don't care about the argument you just want to repeat the same rhetorical point 'why cause losses for the bank' that has already been addressed.

Yes being angry with banks for stoking the property bubble is totally irrational and just looking for "someone to be angry with", nevermind the documented instances of fraud in financial institutions and the criminologists who have researched the economic crisis in Ireland, stating it bears all the marks of systemic fraud; nothing worth being angry about there I guess.

You run to the defense of banking/finance here because that is your own chosen industry, and you want to keep detached from the concept of any responsibility being shared by that industry, and that fraud is a criminal act which should land people in jail, and that profit/rent-seeking at the expense of society overall (particularly when it directly leads to widespread societal damage) is pure greed and sociopathy, not merely innocent 'profit seeking', and dogmatic attempts at justifications for it are morally/ethically/intellectually corrupt, revealing pretty detached and revolting attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

No, moaners are to blame.

Most of the time, I dont want to hear about this stuff, switch off news

But there's always moaners that will get you down

Their were numerous factors which caused the crash, stupid loans given out by banks, stupid loans accepted from banks, a stupid government to name a few.

You need to read up a little.

The individuals concerned made large amounts of money. They don't care about the future of the business. Why should they? If you can lend a lot, and get paid bonuses on that basis to the extent that you'll never have to think about money again - who cares if it gets paid back?

Modern capitalism in many ways encourages the systematic short term looting of economies and companies without considering long term consequences.

Worth reading "23 things they don't tell you about capitalism" which has a very neat essay on this subject - around how GM was basically run into the ground over the course of 20 years of 'maximising shareholder value"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Anyone who cant see that people are in part to blame for this mess is just being selectively ignorant.

People put the government in place who deregulated the banks and supported them.
    People were happy with the ease of loan access during the boom years.
    People were very happy with the money they were earning during the boom years.

It's not as if the lending practices of banks was a secret at the time, people just didn't care because everyone thought property was a solid investment, including the banks themselves.

People were falling over each other to be customers of these banks.
    With that kind of public demand and a lack of regulation they stretched themselves too thin, they had to.

Any CEO at the time who took a more conservative approach would've been booted by shareholders in favor of someone willing to grab some of this easy profit that was floating around.
    The only way to avoid this scenario is strong regulation, which we were missing.

Push Pop wrote: »
    It's pretty simple really. People borrowed too much and now they are pissed off that they have to pay it back.
    Banks were reckless for sure but surely grown adults should take responsibility for their debts.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm pissed off precisely because I pay back my debts and always have.

I am guessing that's the case for many people in this country.

What annoys me is picking up the tab for Anglo (with which I have never had any dealings) and the property developers and landowners who profited from the property bubble in the first place.

The responsible taxpayer is being stung twice. Firstly by paying a huge amont for a house to live in. Second by being taxed to the hilt to pay for the losses incurred by irresponsible lending institutions. I say irresponsible - what actually happened was criminal.

• Advertisement

You need to read up a little.

The individuals concerned made large amounts of money. They don't care about the future of the business. Why should they? If you can lend a lot, and get paid bonuses on that basis to the extent that you'll never have to think about money again - who cares if it gets paid back?

Modern capitalism in many ways encourages the systematic short term looting of economies and companies without considering long term consequences.

Worth reading "23 things they don't tell you about capitalism" which has a very neat essay on this subject - around how GM was basically run into the ground over the course of 20 years of 'maximising shareholder value"

It's the owners and directors stupidity to put incentives in place which don't encourage long term profitability. Capitalism doesn't encourage short term profitability. People who devise idiotic incentives encourage short term profitability.

Advertisement