Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office question?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I am looking into buying a version of Microsoft office, 2007 or 2010 versions.

I am just wondering will it be worth it as I don't ever have a huge need for it. I am doing a 1 year course at the moment and a lot of the projects have to be typed up so this is why I am looking into buying it.

I used open office at the start but I had a lot of problems opening OO files/documents on Microsoft office. Also the spell check on OO didn't work for me for some reason.

When I did manage to open the document bits and pieces of it were lost and the formatting went all haywire, my bar/pie charts and results were gone when I got it open so I'm reluctant to use office again for these reasons.

So would it be worth getting MO? or are there any other cheaper/free options available to me? As I said I wont be a huge user so I'm looking at getting a basic model.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Can you get it from work or the courses IT department? If your having problems with OO then it would probably be worth it. Its handy for bank letters etc. Should be able to get 07 pretty cheap now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Can you get it from work or the courses IT department? If your having problems with OO then it would probably be worth it. Its handy for bank letters etc. Should be able to get 07 pretty cheap now.

No, there are allotted times for students using the computers and with all the other things I have to do I don't really have the time for that, I need to be able to do some work from home.

Yeah OO gave me a fair amount of trouble, I don't want to write a 3,000 word essay and then have half of it deleted when I try to open it on MW.

I suppose if I buy it it will always be there to use when i need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Have you tried Google Docs?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Like a previous poster suggested, use an open source alternative. I personally like libre-office. They're basically the same except missing minor tweaks from ms office that you wouldn't get much use out of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

biko wrote: »

There's a student version of the same here.

Libre Office is a good alternative, also. If you're concerned about it breaking when you change format, a good solution is just to keep it in ODT (the native format), and use PDFs to share/submit content you've produced. However I've personally never lost content when saving Libre/Open Office files as doc or docx - I've lost formatting, but never content.

Google docs is also a good option, but it's online only. If that's not a dealbreaker, there's also Office Web-apps, which I believe has a free level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Try Libre Office, it supports Office format. Or try the free Word web application on Skydrive. Both are pretty useful and would save you buying a genuine copy of Office

Advertisement