Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invade and Conquer

• 22-04-2013 3:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

It occurred to me while examining the map of Dublin how distastefully large the Irish National War Memorial Park is. According to Wikipedia, the Park is a memorial to the 300,000 Irish men, almost 50,000 of whom died, in the Great War serving in the armies of Commonwelath countries. This park has been the focal point of British Commemorations in Ireland since the dearly beloved departure of the old regime.
    What I find remarkably interesting about this park is that 140,000 Irish men joined the British armed Forces not considering the brutal methods which the British Government traditionally governed Ireland by. And it occurred to me how little people who aspire to be soldiers are motivated to do so by feelings of patriotism. And the only conclusion I could come to is that if one can invade and subjue a country, no matter the size or population, then one will always have potential recruits for the occupying military.

Taking the number of Irish men who joined the British military over the last 2-3 centuries, would you agree with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mick ah

Do you want a job or don't you?

Tell me what alternatives were being provided at home for the unskilled over the last 2 - 3 centuries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD CLOSING COMMENT:
    This is the Political Theory forum. This OP does not concern a political "theory." Please read charter and this mod guideline.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement