Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computing in Information Security & Digital Forensics

• 22-04-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any feedback on this course BN311
    http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn311.html (full time version of the course not currently on website but I think its the same modules)

I already hold a level 6 higher certificate in computing and am looking into either applying for the level 7 BN302 computing in i.t. course (mainly software based i think) or this new BN311 Information Security and Digital Forensics one. I think I already have a fair idea of what the computing/software one will be like. Just not sure on this new one.

Is anyone currently doing the course and can give me some feedback on it?

Was looking into continuing the software based course mainly for a future in web development. But iv also being really interested in working with networking/security so at a bit of crossroads. What are the career prospects like with networking/security compared to web development.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

At the moment they do each module every 2 weeks so you only have alternating subjects every week. They say they are looking at changing this as there is a lot of people unhappy with this.

The workload is very intense especially with the amount they have to squeeze in. Dont expect to have much free time as you will constantly have 3/4 things on the go.

The content is 80% good the other 20% is pure crap and just a time filler. But they are also aware of this as we had a discussion with the head of the course and he said they would be changing the subjects and layout of the course around.

Any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They are looking at reducing the number of modules and putting on an extra night as well.

8 modules in 2 semesters was hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

Looks like a good course

• Registered Users Posts: 6 beg55

Hi Did you complete the course ?

How much programming was involved. Has it helped you to get a job ?

What was the dropout rate ? If I get a job can I still complete the course ? How many hours a week commitment are required ?

Beg55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

beg55 wrote: »
    Hi Did you complete the course ?

How much programming was involved. Has it helped you to get a job ?

What was the dropout rate ? If I get a job can I still complete the course ? How many hours a week commitment are required ?

Beg55

there was no programing though that may change next time around. its possible to work and have a family but you won't see them or have a life for a year. only 1 dropped out of 17.
    our exams are over so its just the thesis to do for August.

• Advertisement
Advertisement