Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull attack story

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

did anyone notice the wee section they had on the farmer in England that was up for manslaughter for the bull of his that killed a waalker on a walkway. is there any moreinfo available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Here it is;
    http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/08/06/manslaughter-charge-for-paul-waterfall-after-roger-freeman-killed-by-bull Snap :)

Is the law the same in Ireland - No bulls allowed where there is a public right of way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

there are few worrying aspect to this IMO.

By public footpath i assume they mean walking path, rambling path or some kind of right of way. There are many of these all over ireland too but it is concerning that one was passing through a field with animals were in it. Like most people with cattle i am very wary of anyone coming on the the land and walking anywhere near our cattle be that cows, calves, yearligns whatever. and that includes family, friends, contractors, lads out shooting and even fellas from the department. I had one lad ring me about 2 years ago wanting to do a check on the place. I was at work and the parents were away. He said he'd just have a look around and i said NO. I wasnt going to be responsible for him if anything happened. I told heim if he came back at 5 there was no problem as i'd go with him.

I am concerned that no-one thought that the idea of having cattle in a field that is not fenced off was a bad idea. I can understand that walkers and ramblers like to stroll through the country side (i love doing it myself, but would be wary of going into fields i dont know). This seems to be a regular walking route so surely either the walkers or farmers in the area should have known better.

I dont want to get into a debate on the rights of walkers accross land and rights or ways and all that stuff but surely anyone you wants to walks in the country side should have a bit of common sense when it comes to entering a field with a bull in it or any other cattle (cows with calves espically). Also the farmer must have known that strangers would be walking through the land and having a bull in that place could be dangerous.

The idea of safe breeds is a new one on me. I wouldnt say there are too many "safe" breeds. as other posters have said Jersey's and Fr's can be very aggressive and because these are predomitly dairy breeds they are assumed safe as the cows are usually so placid.

sadly it seems that there is a strong case against this fella, it very unlikely that he would have done anything to hurt those people on purpose but he seems that there is a law int eh UK wrt haveing cattle and espically bull in a field with a public walkway, which i can understand you wouldnt leave a gate open to the roads. Equally people taking these walkways should be aware of the dangers of passing thorugh a field with cattle in it too.

It's of concern to me to. We have aright of way through our land. It's an old 'Mass Path'. There on the ordinance survey map, for everyone to see. Now half of the path goes through a site for a house. He has fenced it off, but that's his problem.
    Only last night I found a dozen or so kids having a drinking party behind the site. I keep a teaser bull, so what should I do? People are always going though teh fields as it is a short-cut for them. They don't use the exact 'Mass Path', so no point in fencing that off. I approached one of the neighbours kids a while back and said - 'Do you know there is a bull in that field'.
    'Well, he hasnt done anything yet' - was his reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

tell me about it, i have a old neighbour well into his 70's, he has walked our fields for donkeys years, he had a quadruple by pass in the spring and he was back out walking this last few weeks, have a fr bull with the cows and this idiot brings his stupid fecking dog with him for his walk, i said it to his son and he just laughed and said "sure he loves that walk":mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

yellow50HX wrote: »
    getting hit by a bull or a cow is the same as getting hit by a car crossing the road. people under estimate how fast they can run. at full belt you would be lucky to out run one of them as all the power goes through their skulls so you have a point loading as well.

Big bulls can get up to nearly 20 miles an hour, lighter animals can hit 30 easily. Usain bolt tops out at 27 miles an hour. Its pretty safe to assume the animal is faster than you and act accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Big bulls can get up to nearly 20 miles an hour, lighter animals can hit 30 easily. Usain bolt tops out at 27 miles an hour. Its pretty safe to assume the animal is faster than you and act accordingly.

They wouldn't have much of a side-step though:D

True - but you need to be lucky every time, they only need to be lucky once ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

True - but you need to be lucky every time, they only need to be lucky once ;)

I reckon getting lucky once would be enough to convince most not to put themselves in that position again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I wonder what's the story with people entering your land when fishing. Apparently the fishing club have the right to cross your land within 3 metres of the river bank, so what would be the story if the bull attacked somebody under those circumstances?

I reckon getting lucky once would be enough to convince most not to put themselves in that position again.

Yes, you'd hope so. Complacency slips in over time though, its good remind yourself every so often.
    johnpawl wrote: »
    I wonder what's the story with people entering your land when fishing. Apparently the fishing club have the right to cross your land within 3 metres of the river bank, so what would be the story if the bull attacked somebody under those circumstances?

You shouldn't have a bull there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

when i was about 15 my uncles bull (about 2yo) charged him i was there and pulled him out of the way, the bull turned and was back at me fairly quickly, i was young, light and fit and manged to side step him easy enough but he could turn on a 6 pence i was amazed how quickly he could stop and turn and be back at us. I know he wasnt at full tilt but he was bloody fast. he hit the gate going into the yard and blew it off the pier, gate was a heavy duty one and he bent it into a c shape, it was like something you would see in a movie car chase. managed to get him into the shed and we parked the tractor accross the gate to lock him in, he was on the lorry to the factory the next morning

Remember, you don't need to outrun the bull. Just outrun whoevers with you.:D
    bullanimation-7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

johnpawl wrote: »

I don't buy this 3 meter thing at all. I don't recall ever seeing it in any fisheries legislation (and I'd have a good knowledge of it!), Fishing rights are a complicated thing in some cases, and relatively simple in others. You need to know your exact position and act accordingly.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0809/467200-tapir-incident-dublin-zoo/

I see an animal attack at Dublin Zoo today. I can't help but wondering what were they thinking, an ounce of maternal instinct would surely push any mother to protect her calf, even a docile one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bizzum wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0809/467200-tapir-incident-dublin-zoo/

I see an animal attack at Dublin Zoo today. I can't help but wondering what were they thinking, an ounce of maternal instinct would surely push any mother to protect her calf, even a docile one.

Tapirs are very maternal alright. It says that they were in the enclosure with the animal, when did this become a thing:confused:

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Tapirs are very maternal alright.

I never calved one!! :-) Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

I stand corrected but as far as I understand the owness is on the fishing club (in this case) to indemnify landowners against any possible future claims. That is why, if you are a member of a local fishing club, that part of your annual subscription includes insurance cover. However it is not cut and dry and there are always exceptions to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Went out Saturday evening to put a track and top roller on a digger want in to a yard and started to work away and heard this roaring looked over my shoulder to see a b blue bull and he was not happy he was ruthing and tearing and roaring now i looked around the field before i went in and there were cattle at far end of field it didn't take him long to come up thought he was going to come true the single stand of fence he was one pist of beast the lad that owns him says ah his grand he's just showing off you should see him when his in a bad mood . Didn't feel one bit comfy around him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I was attacked by my boyfriends AA cow yesterday, she calved two weeks ago so it was a complete surprise for her to do this. Thankfully he was able to herd her into the shed as we were out in the field and there was nowhere to hide. I saw my life flash before my eyes, I thought I was going to be a goner. Thankfully I am here to tell the tale, albeit quite achey but I'll get over that.

Please be careful of your animals lads, don't get complacent and always carry a stick.

I was attacked by my boyfriends AA cow yesterday, she calved two weeks ago so it was a complete surprise for her to do this. Thankfully he was able to herd her into the shed as we were out in the field and there was nowhere to hide. I saw my life flash before my eyes, I thought I was going to be a goner. Thankfully I am here to tell the tale, albeit quite achey but I'll get over that.

Please be careful of your animals lads, don't get complacent and always carry a stick.

The recently calved cow can be just as dangerous as a bull. I've been charged many times by them.
    They usually give plenty of warning of their intentions. It's absolute maternal instinct as they strive to protect their calf, and once ya retreat away from the calf they generally stay minding the calf.

Had the cow in question history?

Glad you could walk away, it was a close shave for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

The recently calved cow can be just as dangerous as a bull. I've been charged many times by them.
    They usually give plenty of warning of their intentions. It's absolute maternal instinct as they strive to protect their calf, and once ya retreat away from the calf they generally stay minding the calf.

Had the cow in question history?

Glad you could walk away, it was a close shave for ya.

A close shave indeed...... for a Hairy Princess:P

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Ya, second that. I always carry a proper stick now.

Got an awful shock 5 months ago - had American cousins home who were mad to 'pat' a cow. Brought the 2 girls (9 & 11) into the field holding the yound lad (2 years) in my arms to stroke our quietest cow - all fine, patted the cow, girls happy. There were 5 others cows and calves in the field, all calved at least a month - thought I was being careful. One of the calves started running around the field like mad, just playing, we were no where near him but his mother, a heifer, got agitated. I went to leave with the kids but the calf ran in our direction, behind us, and the cow just lost it. Started loo-ing like a bull and went straight for the girls. I ran in front of her with the young lad and just started roaring, kicking and shouting at her, but she kept coming. Thank God the calf went off a different direction and she got confused a bit so I legged it to the wall. 'Funny' thing was that the girls who I was 'protecting' had sprinted like hares to the wall and were well over it when I got there. Mam saw it happen and thought we were gonners. She was obviously protecting the calf, the girls were strangers and I also think the fact that they were wearing really bright, multi-coloured t-shirts didn't help either. It was the first thing Dad asked when I told him the story,

Never had anything like that happen before and it's strange how you view cattle again. Had friends home a month later and went down a field, with cows in it, to go to the lake. Made sure I brought a stick and was looking over my shoulder constantly - something I never did in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

i got pinned one time by a springer in a pen and was bloody to get out of it with only a strained wrist :o

i got pinned one time by a springer in a pen and was bloody to get out of it with only a strained wrist :o

Springer spaniel was it? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Springer spaniel was it? :-)
    Cheeky B*****d :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Bought a 14 month old limo bull a couple of weeks ago,he 5* for docility and halter trained,he in his own pen in shed with other cattle,he wont be turned out with heifers till next march.Just wondering should i walk him with halter now and again just to keep him quiet or should i just leave him alone, which would you guys recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Leave alone, a bull is a bull, not a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I stared death in the face today and it's not something I will soon forget it was a very frightening experience. Never ever trust a bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I stared death in the face today and it's not something I will soon forget it was a very frightening experience. Never ever trust a bull.

I hope the fact that you're posting here means you're physically ok.
    If it's not too sore a subject I'd like to hear the whole story. No problem if it's too raw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Was watching TV the other evening about dova AI and their bulls your man was spot on when he said some bulls you would be sad to see go and others you'd be glad to see the back of.
    Had some lovely quite bulls over the years that you would think wouldn't harm a fly and others that were wholey determined to kill me or someone else unless they were killed first .
    I got a few bad frights myself over the years but never injured thank God.
    Even the quite ones can have their off days with hormones or mood swings.
    Ring some dealer and get that bull off to factory ASAP. If you don't get rid him next time he may well get rid of you and in my experience if he tried to take you on once he will do it again it's only a matter of time.
    You will pick up a younger docile bull before the breeding season starts with the money you get for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A mature bull has so much power in their neck and head compared to a cow. Now I know only too well how dangerous a cow can be, but against a charging bull, no chance at all.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Jersey cross bull down where I work he's about 14months hes been acting up for the last three months but is goring everything now from the manitou to the gate . I had to put silage in today to the group of cattle when I got out to take off the netting I had to jump onto the feeder as the bull was "playfully" acting aggresive.. Anyways after a few attempts of trying I got back into the manitou took it out of the pen but I couldn't get the bull out of the passage way of the shed back into his pen including one time the **** ran at me. So I said I'm getting injured for no one and got the farmer to put him back in as I've warned him a few times to get rid of this bull. Some people just turn a blind eye to these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Man attacked about 10 miles away from here yesterday morning. Don't know the ins and outs of it but he was rushed to hospital and was very lucky to escape. Can't be careful enough around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Is it really worth the danger of having them?

I can understand maybe a suckler farmer with an off farm job. But surely full time farmers could who can herd their animals whenever they want shouldn't have to endure the danger of a bull around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

20silkcut wrote: »
    Is it really worth the danger of having them?

I can understand maybe a suckler farmer with an off farm job. But surely full time farmers could who can herd their animals whenever they want shouldn't have to endure the danger of a bull around the place.

They are a necessary evil, I use 100% ai with dairy cows and it's hard enough to pick them out towards the end of the breeding season. I bought a vacsectomised bull last year to pick them out and it worked well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

God this is absolutely terrifying. I grew up on a farm. Our bull was a big eejit. Very soft. I don't think there was a bad bone in his body. The only close call I ever had with a bull was with a pet, he was about 2 or so. I was in the shed with him feeding him biscuits. Turned my back on him and went down the shed to feed the other one a biscuit, and Darcy ran after me for another biscuit,nothing unusual. Then my dad started shouting, and banged the stick off the wall. Wtf is wrong with him, I think. Turn around and Darcy was just about to piggyback me. If my dad wasn't in the shed with me he'd have jumped on me. And he wouldn't have even meant to hurt me but they're just so big and so strong you need to be alert all the time

God this is absolutely terrifying. I grew up on a farm. Our bull was a big eejit. Very soft. I don't think there was a bad bone in his body. The only close call I ever had with a bull was with a pet, he was about 2 or so. I was in the shed with him feeding him biscuits. Turned my back on him and went down the shed to feed the other one a biscuit, and Darcy ran after me for another biscuit,nothing unusual. Then my dad started shouting, and banged the stick off the wall. Wtf is wrong with him, I think. Turn around and Darcy was just about to piggyback me. If my dad wasn't in the shed with me he'd have jumped on me. And he wouldn't have even meant to hurt me but they're just so big and so strong you need to be alert all the time
    Looks like darcy must have mistaken you for a cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Sam Kade wrote: »
    They are a necessary evil, I use 100% ai with dairy cows and it's hard enough to pick them out towards the end of the breeding season. I bought a vacsectomised bull last year to pick them out and it worked well.

The vasectomised bull is a slightly better option in that he's less valuable than the stock bull you would be looking at instead of AI.
    I know it shouldn't come into it but how many lads hold a bull they shouldn't because of the cost of replacing him.
    I presume the first hint of the vasectomised boy doing anything but look at cows he's signed his own death warrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I'm afraid it's not just their size you have to worry about, many attacks, as in charged and gored, are from the apparently quite bull and hence the reason fellas aren't as wary of them. 2yrs is the age many of them change and start trying to assert their dominance as they mature. No offence to you but it's your opinion of the bulls in your scenario above is misguided, as apart from a large animal being a pet which is dangerous enough as it won't keep its distance and may knock you messing, when it's attitude changes it will have no fear of letting you know who's in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

The vasectomised bull is a slightly better option in that he's less valuable than the stock bull you would be looking at instead of AI.
    I know it shouldn't come into it but how many lads hold a bull they shouldn't because of the cost of replacing him.
    I presume the first hint of the vasectomised boy doing anything but look at cows he's signed his own death warrant.

The other thing with a vasectomised bull is it is generally less active in the chase after a year or two so never around very long.

Milked out wrote: »
    I'm afraid it's not just their size you have to worry about, many attacks, as in charged and gored, are from the apparently quite bull and hence the reason fellas aren't as wary of them. 2yrs is the age many of them change and start trying to assert their dominance as they mature. No offence to you but it's your opinion of the bulls in your scenario above is misguided, as apart from a large animal being a pet which is dangerous enough as it won't keep its distance and may knock you messing, when it's attitude changes it will have no fear of letting you know who's in charge.

He's gone. My dad passed away and I am no longer around cattle.

The big advantage with a vacsectomised bull is that they are young and you only have them a few weeks even though I still have last years bull in with the cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've a 2 1/2 year old lim bill. I had him out with a couple of he differs up to a month ago. When I let him into the shed I could see the top matriarch cow mad to get at him . Let her out and all hell broke loose. He got his head in under her and had her almost straight up in the air. No doubt who the real boss is now. I've an eye on him at all times when I enter the yard.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

On a more light-hearted note but similar to a story above I always seem to have one or two cows that get along with me more than the rest
    These become somewhat like pets as I might give them an extra fist of nuts that they would eat out of my hand or a scratch behind the ear and they keep the herd calm and follow me when I move them etc.
    Last year at milking time one of the pet cows was bulling and took a particular liking to me
    It kept following around the yard trying to mount me and not even the stick would deter her.
    All I could do is laugh and try and keep my distance.
    I also told the wife she had competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Even look at strong suck calves, they would fairly move you and they would be only playing. Goes to show the power they have

djmc wrote: »
    On a more light-hearted note but similar to a story above I always seem to have one or two cows that get along with me more than the rest
    These become somewhat like pets as I might give them an extra fist of nuts that they would eat out of my hand or a scratch behind the ear and they keep the herd calm and follow me when I move them etc.
    Last year at milking time one of the pet cows was bulling and took a particular liking to me
    It kept following around the yard trying to mount me and not even the stick would deter her.
    All I could do is laugh and try and keep my distance.
    I also told the wife she had competition

Haha love that. They're so intelligent! Cows are the best. We had one that thought I was her calf. She wouldn't let the other cows near me and she would do a really low moo at me, and would follow me around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE WITH A VASECTOMISED BULL.

ITS CASTRTING RATHER THAN BURDIZZO. WE HAVE A 11 MONTH CHAROLAIS CROSS CALF THAT COULD DO JOB.THERE ARE 9 COWS YET TO COME. WILL HE HAVE TO BE CIT A WHILE BEFORE LETTING OUT. THANKS

Advertisement