Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove mildew stains from a tent?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

What are the best products to use?
    Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Household mould killer, then bleach and rinse

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

maglite wrote: »
    Household mould killer, then bleach and rinse

Any product name in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'd check carefully if the tent has any value.. Is it cotton fabric you have, probably but maybe not? Bleach is fairly strong stuff, probably kill the mildew alright but I could see the fabric possibly disintegrating at some stage, just when you want it to keep the weather out!!

If you do come to terms with it, prevention is better than cure. Try and take down a cotton tent (any tent) when there's a bit of a breeze blowing and it's dry as can be. Then air it in a shed or on a washing line when you get back. Store loosely folded, not stuffed in tight roll etc. Trust this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aSligoDub

Milton/water mix in the bath, in goes the tent.. Poke with brush handle till you get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Try it on a very small area first, I used some sort of household mildew remover years ago and it destroyed the waterproof coating on the groundsheet.
    Worst case if that happens you can try the likes of Fabsel (sp?) to reproof the tent.

Maybe contact the manufacturer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement