Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Placement for Hdip Maynooth 2013

Options
  • 22-04-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone! I have been offered a place on the PDE programme at NUIM this year and am currently looking for a school that will take me for my teaching practice!!

I have emailed over 50 schools but have only heard back from a few all of which told me they were full or not in a position to take me. I have sent cover letter, cv, college reference and other notable certs but alas...nothing.

Is anyone having the same problem or can any past students on the course give me any advice!? I really want to do the dip so much, its a dream for me and I would hate to have to drop it all because of the difficulty I am having in finding a school!! Any advice much appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Did you try the secondary school in kilcock? I know they've taken maynooth dippers before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I would say Scoil Dara in Kilcock is full by now as being local it will be very popular. Maynooth Post Primary usually take an incredible number of dippers but again they fill up fast.

Apply everywhere. 65km radius of Maynooth is a huge area encompassing way more than 50 schools so just keep going. Make sure not to exclude DEIS schools. Double check your application for spelling if you haven't already - something small could rule you out immediately.

Have you tried all County Dublin VEC's schools (especially DEIS), particularly those in the West Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

OP where are you based? I know the radius can stretch pretty far (a friend of mine was on TP in Cavan when I did the dip in Maynooth last year) but try the rural schools too. A friends was also in Prosperous last year and they generally take a few dips too. Go further outside Co. Kildare and you'll get a school

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Teaching1154

I have 3 interviews now and a few have got back to me telling me they will let me know over the coming weeks if they have a place for me. Its tough! My old school cant take me on and I was hoping they would so I'll just struggle on and hopefully get somewhere!! It's exciting but nerve wracking! Does anyone know of anyone who didn't find a school before or are there alternatives!?

(the radius is 65k so it's quite big!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I've heard of people getting TP for Maynooth in places as far as Dundalk . Don't under estimate how close Maynooth is to places like Meath . Navan is only 20-30 minutes away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Get the DES schools list and blitz the neighbouring counties . There's a lot more than 50 schools , you can't afford to be choosy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

OP if you don't get a school sorted NUIM will help you sort it come September. Lots of people didn't have schools when I started. Don't be panicking yet, my school didn't accept me until the end of May. Schools will be busy with practical exams and orals for a few weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 orlagh

I turned down an offer of teaching practice in Baltinglass VEC as my old school has taken me in - might be worth a shot. Its just under 70km from Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

I completed my PDE last year however tjis year I am doing the postgraduate diploma in school guidance and counselling in NUIM. Anybody done this course before? and if so, any advcie on what schools might take me on for my school placement component at this stage? I dont know maynooth/dublin area at all and Im panicking I wont find a placement school .I also do not have access to a car so I can only use public transport to get to the school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

the guidance course in maynooth has changed format completely.i dont think it ran this year.i did it last year when it was one year full time when placement was two full days in a school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Yeh, now its one year part time which means one day at college and one on placement. Still don't know much about the course though, how did you find the course when you did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

clo1 wrote: »
    Yeh, now its one year part time which means one day at college and one on placement. Still don't know much about the course though, how did you find the course when you did it?

i really liked the course and the the lecturers but cant really comment on this years as mine was one year full time with 2 days placement and 3 days college so completely different. the workload was heavy going like any teacher training course. id imagine with less contact time there will be more self directed learning

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

I'm not on this course but do hope to be next year .. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far south the schools list goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jayjay80

you can go as far as 85km radius with permission

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Jayjay80 wrote: »
    you can go as far as 85km radius with permission

Ok thanks! thought I saw someone write 65 on an earlier post

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Teaching1154

I think it depends on the college but maynooth placements have to be withing 65k!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Duilleog40

What subjects are you looking for a placement in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gcgillian

Hi Everyone!

I've just moved house and the letter we received detailing the starting dates has gone missing! Could anyone help me out?

Thanks so much, Gillian

• Registered Users Posts: 42 keithconnolly

gcgillian wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

I've just moved house and the letter we received detailing the starting dates has gone missing! Could anyone help me out?

Thanks so much, Gillian

There you go .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gcgillian

Thank you so much! much appreciated!

now to find everything ive lost :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement