Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Public IP Address Range Config Problem

• 22-04-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I have been having many problems trying to implement our range of Ip addresses (89.101.125.152/29) with our network equipment here. I have attempted to set up a sonicwall TZ105 connected directly to the UPC Cisco box. The Cisco box is in bridge mode I am reliably informed. The IP addresses are allocated as follows. Cicso box: 89.101.125.153, Sonicwall: 89.101.125.154, webmail server: 89.101.125.155, mail server: 89.101.125.157. I have set up 1to1 nat on the sonicwall and everything looks correct. I can ping the WAN address of the firewall but I cannot pass any services through such as SMTP or RDP etc. I cannot ping the servers bypublic IP even though ping is 1to1 natted through the firewall to theservers. I have also connected another MicroNet firewall which I have working with another broadband config, and I have the same problems with it. I also connected a Zyxel Cable Router and configured simple port forwarding but still no joy. I have connected a laptop directly to the Cisco box and assigned it the ip address of 89.101.125.158 and I can ping it ok externally which makes this even more frustrating. I thought there might be some problems with UPC's routing tables but they say everything is ok. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ajhalpin

Any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

What are the IP addresses that are configured on the actual servers? Are you trying to use the public IPs directly on the servers, or are your NAT rules on the firewall configured to translate from the public IPs to internal IPs?

Do you see the inbound traffic hitting the sonicwall (in logs or whatever)?

I'm not hugely familiar with Sonicwalls, but some firewalls have a layer 2 (bridge) mode that would allow you to assign public IPs directly to servers. This would enable you to do away with the NAT rules, which might simplify things a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ajhalpin wrote: »
    The Cisco box is in bridge mode I am reliably informed.

Do you not have access to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ajhalpin

Hi moc moc a moc

I have since been given a new range of IPs from UPC. The range is 89.101.180.168/29. I am still having the same issues. The current setup is cisco: 89.101.180.169, Zyxel router: 89.101.180.170, 89.101.180.171, Sonicwall: 89.101.180.172, email server: 89.101.180.173. If I telnet from a remote site to 89.101.180.173 25 I get nothing on the sonicwall log. If I try anything to 89.101.180.172 (the WAN address of the sonicwall) the attempts show up in the log as dropped (as expected). The NAT rules are configured to translate the public IPs to the internal (private) IPs.

ED E I have access to the UPC box but any changes I make are automatically overridden by UPCs config after about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Can you connect something up on the outside of the sonicwall to make sure it's responding to ARP requests directed to 89.101.180.173 correctly?

What's the Zyxel doing? Can you outline how everything is connected in relation to each other? (Ideally with a diagram)

Are you able to post up some of your Sonicwall config?

• Advertisement
Advertisement