Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtriciy won;t stop sending bill for previous owner

Options
  • 22-04-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I purchased an apratment a coupel of months ago and since then I have received a number of bills addresed to The Occupier followed by the previous registered owner's name from Airtriciy.
    I responded via email, advising them that I had taken ownership of the apartment and gave them the solicitors address of the vendor beign the only forwarding address I have.

This is the response:
    The billing period is from 26/12 -14/03 and intended for the occupier of this period to be paid off. As we do not have a forwarding address supplied by the landlord, therefore the reminder letters are being sent to the premises supplied.
    I will suggest passing it to the solicitor who transacted the sale to be passed to the landlord otherwise more letters will continue to be sent until the issue is resolved.
    Apologies for the inconvenience this may have been causing.

is htere any way to force airtricity to stop sendign these bills to my address, as far as I am concerned they are nothing to do with me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mark the envelope - "Unknown recipient, Return to Sender" and throw them back in the post.

Reply in writing stating that you are not liable for any usage prior to "date of purchase". Let them know that any further correspondance to you will be considered harassment and will be dealt with by your solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

yes - send them to your solicitor and ask your solicitor to send them to the solicitor of the previous owner.

Oh, whoops - that's what airtricity said.

Possibly, maybe, follow the advice they are giving you???

btw - your solicitor should have ensured that all utility bills were paid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I wouldn't worry as its not in your name either ignore or post back. When i rented i always got bills in old tenants names from bord gais esb and so on even though i had set up my own accounts with them when i moved in with meter readings. I called them and although they knew the old tenants had moved out they said the only procedure they have is to keep posting. I even got stubbs gazette and dept collector letters for old tenants now that did worry me but i always kept id and my lease to hand in case debt collectors ever arrived but they didn't and after living there for a year the letters stopped coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 e18165

Thanks for the replies folks, I think I'll just RTS unles I get tired of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is your electricity supply account with Airtricity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The last thing I would be doing would be paying a solicitor to write to anyone about someone else's unpaid bills.

Plus - what else did your solicitor not bother resolving - unpaid bills is quite basic & a big miss. Unpaid management fees too??

Register a letter to air ity in case it goes to court & outlining the times you have contacted them etc.

Shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The last thing I would be doing would be paying a solicitor to write to anyone about someone else's unpaid bills.
    Agreed.
    Plus - what else did your solicitor not bother resolving - unpaid bills is quite basic & a big miss. Unpaid management fees too??
    It is not the responsibility of the solicitors handling the sale and purchase of property to sort out bills except those that are attached to the property itself. So they have to deal with unpaid service charges, but not with unpaid electricity bills (which belong in the same category as unpaid grocery bills).
    Register a letter to air ity in case it goes to court & outlining the times you have contacted them etc.
    I would not even do that much. OP has tried to help them, and can do no more. Bin the demands (recycling bin, of course).
    Shame :(
    Yes. Aitricity are behaving badly. I hope that it is a bad decision made by a junior employee rather than company policy.

Advertisement