Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using wrong reference stlye.

Options
  • 22-04-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey guys, I am a student at Smurfit Business School. In my individual assignment, I used Chicago referencing style with footnotes instead of the Harvard referencing style. One of my colleagues told me just now that we had to use the Harvard referencing. I am a bit tensed right now. Will the lecturer deduct marks because of this? I referenced everything correctly just used the wrong style. I put so much effort into this assignment and I will be so gutted if they deduct marks because of this.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

What did it say on the assignment you were given? (I'm sure you realise that you'll have to have marks deducted, if you didn't follow the requirements. Harsh but fair!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 khan1

Red Alert wrote: »
    What did it say on the assignment you were given? (I'm sure you realise that you'll have to have marks deducted, if you didn't follow the requirements. Harsh but fair!)

The lecturer did not tell us which reference style we had to use. If it was written in the guidelines that we needed to use Harvard style referencing in our essay then I would have used that one. Do you think it will be a case in my favor in case the lecturer deduct marks for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

khan1 wrote: »
    The lecturer did not tell us which reference style we had to use. If it was written in the guidelines that we needed to use Harvard style referencing in our essay then I would have used that one. Do you think it will be a case in my favor in case the lecturer deduct marks for that?

id say your grand, but email him/her just in case. harvard style is the usual for UCD, so it would normally be expected, but since the reason for referencing is to avoid plagarism, i cant see why they would make any deal out of it since you did actually reference your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

In my experience they won't care unless it's a thesis submission or was specifically noted in the assignment guidelines.

Once it's been systematically entered using EndNote or similiar you'll be fine.

I'd imagine there wouldn't be any marks implication unless the assignment itself said specifically what referencing style to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

khan1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am a student at Smurfit Business School. In my individual assignment, I used Chicago referencing style with footnotes instead of the Harvard referencing style. One of my colleagues told me just now that we had to use the Harvard referencing. I am a bit tensed right now. Will the lecturer deduct marks because of this? I referenced everything correctly just used the wrong style. I put so much effort into this assignment and I will be so gutted if they deduct marks because of this.

In my experience, they are pretty harsh on referencing and the ilk. Every module should have a set of guidelines handed out at the beginning of the semester, which details what referencing style to use. Each department tends to use different methods. I used Harvard style all the way through, but friends of mine doing history and classics used a completely different style, which I had no experience off.

Email your lecturer and explain what happened. I would be surprised if you didn't get penalised. Best of Luck!

It helps if you use something like EndNote - you can flick referencing styles even after you've finished. (Maybe you're using it already? There's a huge number of people who still do it the old way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I never got my head round end note. Manually referenced my dissertation. Pain in the backside.

Advertisement