Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECDL Course In Waterford

Options
  • 22-04-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any decent places in Waterford where i could do an ECDL course and get the qulafication.

Im fairly good at computars but have no computar qulifications on my CV. I have done courses in CTI and WIT but computars were only a part of the course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You could sign up with www.ecollege.ie and pay for it to be sent to your laptop or PC (think it costs about 90euros) then do the 7 modules at your own pace and you pay 30euros to sit each exam in one of a few approved test centres in Waterford. Alternatively, try www.fas.ie for the next listing of ECDL, it comes up fairly regularly. The Nagle Centre (www.naglecentre.com) also run the ECDL, as well as Access IT in Ballybeg, so lots of options there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I did a COMPUTER course in the Nagle centre a few years ago, it was great fun and felt alot like adults looking to meet new people to be honest it was fun and I would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

Access I.T. Ltd do ECDL training, folks. ECDL has redesigned it's course layout and added a few new modules and Access I.T. have updated theirs to reflect it. More info here:

http://accessitltd.ie/ecdl/
    http://accessitltd.ie/teens-ecdl/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Related comment, but not answering your question...
    A mate of mine who works in IT says that when a CV comes in with ECDL listed on qualifications it's immediately binned.

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »
    Related comment, but not answering your question...
    A mate of mine who works in IT says that when a CV comes in with ECDL listed on qualifications it's immediately binned.

Really? It wouldn't be an IT qualification per sé though would it? More something that perhaps an Office or Call Centre would look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I think FAS has a night time one coming up (and also a day time one, depends if you're in employment or not).

Other than that, everywhere else has been mentioned!

TheVandal wrote: »
    Really? It wouldn't be an IT qualification per sé though would it? More something that perhaps an Office or Call Centre would look for?

The binning of CVs weeds out those who think ECDL is worth putting on your CV!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is it really like that about binning C.V.s for ECDL. I haven't had any finance work in two years and i had forgot some basics of computers. Surely if you have a gap on your C.V. for office work it helps to show you kept your computer skills fresh. I put it on my C.V. anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The binning of CVs weeds out those who think ECDL is worth putting on your CV!

That's the kind of thing an asshole employer would do. The ECDL may be of little importance in most jobs but there are folks who see it as a worthwhile achievement and for those people it is for whatever personal reasons. Why would a forward thinking employer immediately disqualify a candidate for something so simple.

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    Why would a forward thinking employer immediately disqualify a candidate for something so simple.

Because certain employers, for certain IT positions, recognise that, if a potential employee thinks that putting ECDL on their CV is worthwhile, then they are wrong for that position.
    It is the equivalent of the Safepass course for building sites, it's pretending to be something. The ECDL is the same. For a serious IT position, do not include it, as it will be taken for granted that you know how to do the basics.
    I've nothing against people doing the ECDL, just don't think it's some passport to a career in IT;)
    Again, apologies to the OP for dragging off thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

A qualified person applying for an IT position would already know there is no reason to include ECDL qualifications. I'm semi retired these days but in 20+ years running an IT company I never saw a single CV with ECDL listed except for maybe students on work experience from college.

In this instance the OP never even mentioned an IT position.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i have no computer qulifications on my cv so i believe doing an ECDL will add something IT wise to my CV. i knw i wont get a huge IT job with it (I have a tourism higher cert third level qulification) because i dont have a third level IT qulification but u never knw it mite count for something at the end of the day.

I think IT should be taught in the leaving cert as IT will become even stronger jobwise in the future

The ECDL is designed to give you the skills that go hand in hand with office work. AFAIK most employers would view it as an advantage over say, someone without the qualification. Here's what the the 7 modules cover:

Module 1: Computer Essentials
    Module 2: Online Essentials
    Module 3: Word Processing (MS Word)
    Module 4: Spreadsheets (MS Excel)
    Module 5: Database (MS Access)
    Module 6: Presentation (MS PowerPoint)
    Module 7: IT Security

Source: http://accessitltd.ie/ecdl/

There are other modules that you can add where necessary as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

For a serious IT position, do not include it, as it will be taken for granted that you know how to do the basics.

Should have just said that instead of what you originally said. Good thing to have on CV for the vast majority of positions, as it highlights the fact that you can actually use a computer and microsoft office rather than just saying 'proficient with ....' or whatever.

For an IT job it's likely you'd have a full degree in something related so wouldn't be necessary to include it.

Advertisement