Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I tip the Tesco delivery man?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but here it is.
    The nice chap from Tesco just dropped off my grub for the week. He was under pressure, really rushing, so the issue didn't arise, but I was wondering if I should tip. It already costs a few quid to get things delivered, and adding another couple of quid might push the balance back in favour of doing my shopping myself. What's the etiquette?
    Should I tip, and how much?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but here it is.
    The nice chap from Tesco just dropped off my grub for the week. He was under pressure, really rushing, so the issue didn't arise, but I was wondering if I should tip. It already costs a few quid to get things delivered, and adding another couple of quid might push the balance back in favour of doing my shopping myself. What's the etiquette?
    Should I tip, and how much?
    No way. Do you tip your postman or the people who empty your bins? do you tip the people in your local shop or the teachers Nurses etc who you might come into contact with? they are all already paid for doing their job.

Tipping is just American nonsense to supplement the wages of very low paid service sector workers who will be on far less than our minimum wage. It is a way of making people pay for delivery of food to your table at a restaurant/diner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have never once tipped a Tesco delivery driver and I rarely tip take away drivers.

As it happens, I am expecting a Tesco delivery this evening and won't be tipping the driver, so I hope he isn't expecting any tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i hate tipping, we pay enough for everything. Americans rely on it for wages, our staff don't.
    I particularly hate restaurants that add a service charge for groups, like you have a captive audience buying same food as seperate tables except probably a lot more, don't you pay your staff to do their job i.e. wait on the tables.... rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Only time i tip at xmas ,postman ,binmen, milkman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No way. Do you tip your postman?
    You DON'T tip your postman :mad:. Seriously though I hate the whole tipping thing, I'm not mean but it feels condescending to hand someone a euro, "get yourself a nice lollipop sir". I had wondered the same about the Tesco delivery lad as I was planning to start doing me shopping online. I was told in Latvia, the folks working in some bars were forced to share their tips with the owner, greedy git.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

if it makes you feel good ,do it. karma and all that ****e.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

YES. dont be a tight ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

No because Every Little Helps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Even if you did offer to tip them, they cant accept it. Against company policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Even if you did offer to tip them, they cant accept it. Against company policy.
    i think selling horsemeat as beef is also against company policy but that didnt stop them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Do what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭donegal_man

TheDriver wrote: »
    i hate tipping, we pay enough for everything. Americans rely on it for wages, our staff don't.
    I particularly hate restaurants that add a service charge for groups, like you have a captive audience buying same food as seperate tables except probably a lot more, don't you pay your staff to do their job i.e. wait on the tables.... rant over

I always refuse to pay the service charge in restaurants as from personal experience in my long lost youth it never got passed on to the staff and was just added to the takings. If I leave a tip I want to know it gets to the people I'm leaving it for.

I always refuse to pay the service charge in restaurants as from personal experience in my long lost youth it never got passed on to the staff and was just added to the takings. If I leave a tip I want to know it gets to the people I'm leaving it for.

You can be sure , If ya tip the Tesco man. It won't be going into the till back at bace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

brokenarms wrote: »
    You can be sure , If ya tip the Tesco man. It won't be going into the till back at bace.

And why would it? It would be a tip for him - not for Tesco!

Anyway back on topic - no I wouldn't tip a Tesco delivery man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

why would you tip him ? As other posters have stated its an american custom. Would you dress in a berka as thats what they do in the middle east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Right. Looks like the majority have spoken. I shall not tip the Tesco man.
    Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement

So you would tip a pizza man who simply takes a pizza to the door, yet a man who carries all your shopping to the fridge door deserve none.

What a bunch you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The one thing I'd say in favour of tipping is that someone will remember you. I know plenty of guys (Now in their 30's) who used drive for the major take away / pizza joints. They can still tell me which estates, right down to the house number, that gave a tip. Didn't have to be huge but it meant a lot. So if they went out with more than one order, you can guess who got their food first.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

So you would tip a pizza man who simply takes a pizza to the door, yet a man who carries all your shopping to the fridge door deserve none.

What a bunch you are.

To the fridge door? I meet him down at the gate and lug the shopping to the fridge myself! Looks like I'm not getting my money's worth!

To the fridge door? I meet him down at the gate and lug the shopping to the fridge myself! Looks like I'm not getting my money's worth!
    He is supposed to bring it in and help empty the baskets onto your kitchen counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

He is supposed to bring it in and help empty the baskets onto your kitchen counter.
    and then help you put them away and then cook the dinner.

gowley wrote: »
    and then help you put them away and then cook the dinner.

I wouldn't trust them to cook but I do have windows they could be cleaning:D

If there are a mountain of steps they can arrange to meet you at the bottom of your steps.

Your shopping will be sent to the fridge door or somewhere handy in the kitchen for ya ,as long as the driver considers it to be safe to do so.
    He can refuse if you have a dog or your house looks dangerous in anyway. That includes being rotton smelly, dirty and not fit for a person to be in.
    Fantastic service tbh. They do get tips, mainly at christmas from regular customers who they have built up a friendship with.

My mate is a driver. The tales he has told me......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

My mate is a driver. The tales he has told me......

Well you've gone and said it! Do tell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

only person i tip is the person who delievers my chinese :P

always give um an extra euro or two, know them for years since they opened the place

they give me an extra bag of chips or drinks for free :D so it was worth my wild tipping them, person who owns the place does the delieveries :P I call him "Sauce"

i wouldnt tip a tesco man
    mainly because their not aloud accept it, against their company policy, they could possible be sacked for taking a tip off you which would kinda go against your good nature to want to tip someone for delievering you somthing.

i dont tip the postman unless its christmas, but i know him since i was a kid, a real owlfella so i always invite him in for a cuppa before his long day starts haha best part is i get my post nearly 40 minutes before he actually starts work haha

id never tip in a resturaunt , they get paid quite well actually most people who work in resturaunts ( of good quality ) are on good-great wages so they dont need a tip for bringing my food from the counter to the table, of course unless its christmas or some other special occasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If he did that I'd consider tipping, much more usual is for him to empty baskets onto my porch floor.

Been a while since I bothered getting a delivery to be honest.

Advertisement