Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I tip the Tesco delivery man?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    He is supposed to bring it in and help empty the baskets onto your kitchen counter.

No, it's delivery to your door AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, it's delivery to your door AFAIK.

Correct. From Tesco -The driver will bring the shopping to your door, where you will be asked to sign a delivery note.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This was already answered in post#2...what are the other ~32 posts about? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 woodstock1708

For those of you who do delivery from Tesco - do you tip the driver, and if so, how much?

I think they work pretty hard and can't be making all that much hourly, so I'd like to give a little something extra.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Nope, I have never tipped the delivery driver. They are paid by Tesco already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 gerrykin22

fair play to you for thinking about the poor delivery drivers
    out in all weathers. a fiver should be enough.
    if you have the same driver on a regular basis you could
    be more generous at christmas time.

i hope you tip your poor postie.

Many people, if not most, work hard. Their wage as driver/delivery is no more nor no less than a lot of workers. I would only tip him on occasions like Christmas. Do you tip the milkman, postman, cashier in the hardware store, the couriors making deliveries, doctor's receptionists....
    I honestly don't see the need to tip someone regularly for doing a job they are paid to do just because you come face to face with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Never tip them have 2 different drivers who would be regular who we'd know by name but still don't tip them. They're paid directly by Tesco so there's no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Would you tip the staff member who served you on a till ??

Drivers should not be tipped in this case. They are paid by the employer by the hour for doing a job. I would be surprised if there was not a policy in place forbidding them from accepting tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It's different than tipping take away deliverers in my view - I always tip those drivers a few quid because it means I'll get my food quicker next time.

• Advertisement

It's different than tipping take away deliverers in my view - I always tip those drivers a few quid because it means I'll get my food quicker next time.

I think that is either a poor reflection on the work ethos of an individual/company or you are deluding yourself that a tip gets you better service next to me - if everybody tipped them it would be self cancelling surely! Do you tip the guy back at base who rushed the order through or is the speed of the delivery only achieved by the guy on the road?
    Exceptional service or to mark service throughout the year warrants a tip.

Well I always do get good service from my delivery driver. Plus I know their wages are set to reflect this, unlike the tesco / furniture delivery guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged with older thread on same topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I think that is either a poor reflection on the work ethos of an individual/company or you are deluding yourself that a tip gets you better service next to me - if everybody tipped them it would be self cancelling surely! Do you tip the guy back at base who rushed the order through or is the speed of the delivery only achieved by the guy on the road?
    Exceptional service or to mark service throughout the year warrants a tip.

OK. Sorry for the long response here. It's not all aimed at the quoted post either.

I would disagree with the above post for a number of reasons and as someone who was both a delivery drive and occasional worker in a big chain pizza delivery place in Dublin. But I can only speak from my own experience here.

Where I worked, the floor staff worked on order by number, so there was no rushing through of any orders ahead of another. They were also paid much better than the delivery drivers, so there was no need to be tipping them, or share tips, like some places insist. The delivery drivers used their own vehicles and paid their own fuel, insurance and maintenance costs. They were paid minimum wage, but when you take vehicle expenses into account, they were paid less than half minimum wage. So, taking that into account, i'll give you a view from the drivers side.

I was paid to deliver food to your property and take payment if not prepaid. There was NO DELIVERY CHARGE from the chain at the time. I was not paid to call your phone from my phone when you didn't hear the door bell. I was not paid to wait 10 minutes because you decided to look for your missing purse AFTER you took the pizza into your kitchen. I was not paid to fend off your rat dog/ ankle biter while you counted out €14.90 in coppers from your hemp bag. I was not paid to swallow my own vomit from the stench of your house, or to wade dangerously through your hazardous front garden.

I was a friendly delivery man and always smiled when you opened the front door and gave you a hot pizza. If you were the person who tipped me and treated me with respect, I delivered your pizza as quickly as possibly along my delivery route. If I had 4 houses to call to in one estate and you never tipped and always waited for your 5 cent back from change of a €50 note you never declared, then HELL YEAH, you were left waiting for your pizza.

I would have never went out of my way to deliver to a "non-tipper" last, or anything. But I would have always went to the tippers in the same area first. And why not? They were paying for it.

I remember there was one man who lived less than a thirty second walk from the pizza shop, but always ordered to his door. This was almost daily and he regularly complained that the drivers always took over 30 mins to deliver his pizza. Answer: He always kept the drivers waiting while he opened the door, took the pizza in and closed the door, taking anywhere up to around 5 minutes before returning with €10 to pay for his €8.90 order. Most people would just hand you the tenner (without the waiting) but this guy waited for every cent back. If you didn't have 10 cent (often the case) he would expect you to call back in with it, within a few minutes. He had zero consideration and every new driver quickly learned to leave this customer for the last delivery. Of course, this guy was an extreme example, but it's just something to think about when your delivery driver delivers all your food quickly, hot and courteously. I tip an average of €2. It's not much, but can go a long way to making the job worthwhile for the driver.

Couriers, Tesco Drivers and the likes are covered by the company. They drive the company vehicle and have no personal costs in the job that I am aware of, so it's not necessary to tip them. I also don't agree with tipping the postman/ milkman at Christmas. They are getting paid year round for a service and I just don't see why anyone would tip them at Christmas if they don't see fit to tip them any other time. It's not like they deliver you less Junk Mail at Christmas! That's just my view on it.

Sorry but that is all an issue between the pizzaa delivery driver and his employer. It is not up to the customer to cover your costs by tipping. In that case charge a delivery fee. Or more appropriately negotiate a decent wage from your employer.

But at least you confirmed the need not to tip Tesco deliveries!

So, basically, nobody should be tipped except you when you deliver a pizza? That's almost comical. A delivery or a service is just that, regardless of the commodity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I don't tip the post man, because I know him personally and he's a farmer with over a hundred acres of land and 30 or 40 cows and no wife or kids,he should give the job to some1 more deserving of it, i wouldn't tip the tesco man either

I suppose the main point I was making, regarding your own post was about the expected service level from a take-away delivery driver. The driver will almost always deliver more quickly to a customer who tips. That customer is paying for better service and so will generally receive it. Granted, this "speedier" service is not offered by any fast food restaurant I ordered from, but it's just one of those unwritten rules.

For me, the amount never mattered much. 50 cent, or €2.......to be honest, for me it was more about easy of change, as I would be rushing and would rather not have to remove my riding gloves to delve into a change purse, but I wouldn't have ever presumed to take a tip unless the customer just handed me a note and said to keep the change.

whupdedo wrote: »
    I don't tip the post man, because I know him personally and he's a farmer with over a hundred acres of land and 30 or 40 cows and no wife or kids,he should give the job to some1 more deserving of it, i wouldn't tip the tesco man either
    Why? Does the Tesco man own a block of apartments and is a successful software developer?

Only kidding! :)

I wouldn't tip the Tesco man every week either.

goz83 wrote: »
    I suppose the main point I was making, regarding your own post was about the expected service level from a take-away delivery driver. The driver will almost always deliver more quickly to a customer who tips. That customer is paying for better service and so will generally receive it. Granted, this "speedier" service is not offered by any fast food restaurant I ordered from, but it's just one of those unwritten rules.

For me, the amount never mattered much. 50 cent, or €2.......to be honest, for me it was more about easy of change, as I would be rushing and would rather not have to remove my riding gloves to delve into a change purse, but I wouldn't have ever presumed to take a tip unless the customer just handed me a note and said to keep the change.

But that's the very point made. Treating customers differently because they do not give you a discretionary tip is churlish, immoral, unprofessional and a cynical way to do a job you are being paid for. As said, if your pay does not cover the work then talk to your employer. Penalising a customer for not tipping is deplorable.

And if the boss decides that in order to cover the raise to the driver to rise the prices, then the customer pays.

So you can pay more then, and get the same service as everybody else.

Or you can pay more now, and get a better service than non tippers.

• Advertisement

And if the boss decides that in order to cover the raise to the driver to rise the prices, then the customer pays.

So you can pay more then, and get the same service as everybody else.

Or you can pay more now, and get a better service than non tippers.

I would rather pay the going rate for a good or service knowing the employees are paid properly than have it hang on the whim of a tip, to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

We gave the last fella a Terrys chocolate orange. He was delighted. Maybe they were his favourites

I would rather pay the going rate for a good or service knowing the employees are paid properly than have it hang on the whim of a tip, to be perfectly honest.

So you tip then?

So you tip then?

Posts #38 & #42 refer.

But that's the very point made. Treating customers differently because they do not give you a discretionary tip is churlish, immoral, unprofessional and a cynical way to do a job you are being paid for. As said, if your pay does not cover the work then talk to your employer. Penalising a customer for not tipping is deplorable.

# They are still getting their food delivered, so they are still getting their paid/unpaid delivery service.

# I did this job 12 years ago. No talking to that employer now. Plus, it was my first non summer job and I wouldn't have had the confidence or know-how to discuss employee rates. Besides, there were many others wanting the same job and the boot was always behind the drivers. Not exactly a strong bargaining position.

# I don't see it as "penalising" non- tippers unless the driver went out of their way to avoid delivering to them until last. I see it as taking care of the customers who are kind enough to acknowledge a good, friendly service delivery with relative speed.

The only way a delivery driver can reward that kindness (aside from saying thanks) is by getting their food to them as quickly as possible, which might mean choosing to call to the tippers house before the non tippers house. There is nothing unprofessional, or immoral about it and it doesn't break any rules. When you ring for a delivery, that doesn't mean you'll get your order before the person who rings 10 minutes later. You'll get it when the driver delivers it. The driver chooses his/her route according to best time and profit if they know what they are doing. We don't do the "30 minutes or it's free" here. You just wait....and tipping "might" get your food delivered sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

goz83 wrote: »
    The only way a delivery driver can reward that kindness (aside from saying thanks) is by getting their food to them as quickly as possible, which might mean choosing to call to the tippers house before the non tippers house.

Which might mean something in the fast food industry, but means absolutely nothing for grocery delivery. Your products are never going to get cold. And your frozen goods must be stored in a frozen compartment in the delivery van.

I seldom get food delivered - maybe once every 3 months or so, but I don't tip when ordering fast food. If my items arrive cold, I send them back and demand a refund. I pay for a product plus delivery of the product. There is always a delivery fee charged. If the delivery driver isn't paid enough then that is not my fault, but the fault of his/her employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The Tesco driver is not allowed keep the money, if is a gift of food etc, once he declared it he/she may be able to keep it.

Paulw wrote: »
    Which might mean something in the fast food industry, but means absolutely nothing for grocery delivery. Your products are never going to get cold. And your frozen goods must be stored in a frozen compartment in the delivery van.

Agreed. The only exception would be if you asked the delivery driver to bring the food into the property, rather than deliver to the door only. I think it would be rude not to tip if the driver obliged you in this way. However, Tesco company policy does not allow for tipping and the driver is not supposed to enter the premises (afaik).
    Paulw wrote: »
    I seldom get food delivered - maybe once every 3 months or so, but I don't tip when ordering fast food. If my items arrive cold, I send them back and demand a refund. I pay for a product plus delivery of the product. There is always a delivery fee charged. If the delivery driver isn't paid enough then that is not my fault, but the fault of his/her employer.

It's not a requirement to tip. I would also send cold food back. Just keep in mind that the delivery driver might not be doing the job he aspired to doing and might not have any choice, but to accept a low wage and must cover his own costs in delivering your food to you. Blame the employer all you like, but the driver just has to suck it up.....which is why he will deliver more quickly to customers who tip. Simple.

Some places pay better I'm sure. I only ever worked for one pizza chain and without tips, the job just wouldn't have been worth it. A delivery charge has been charged by this chain for some time now. I'm guessing it was people not tipping in the recession, or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Give him 1c so he can buy a scooter. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@mathepac Please stay on topic and stick to the relevant thread

dudara

Advertisement