Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players who jump the shark

• 22-04-2013 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Funny how some players careers are a bit curious in the sense of having their peak years before 22 then going off the radar, Ryan Giggs is two years older than Robbie Fowler yet still at the cutting edge of the EPL whilst Fowler was arguably in decline before being sold to Leeds, other example I can think of are

David Rocastle - went downhill about 25 when he went to Leeds
    Lee Sharpe - never as effective after the age of 23/24
    Francis Jeffers - mentioned before on these boards but fell off the cliff after signing for Arsenal
    Stephen Ireland - Can't honestly see him having a season again like the 08/09 one, maybe being set up for life has blunted his appetite for the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Could you not have posted this on the Francis Jeffers thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jumped the shark over the hill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Could you not have posted this on the Francis Jeffers thread?

the only player you can mention in there is Jeffers himself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mark Fish?

I'm leaving don't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I always found it inconceivable that Van Nistelrooy and Kluivert are the same age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I thought this thread was going to be about players narrowly avoiding being bitten...I am disappoint...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

razorblunt wrote: »
    Mark Fish?

I'm leaving don't worry.

Conor Sammon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

bohsman wrote: »
    I always found it inconceivable that Van Nistelrooy and Kluivert are the same age.

Was the princess bride on recently or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I thought this thread was going to be about players narrowly avoiding being bitten...I am disappoint...:(

My name is Luis Suarez. You ate my father. Prepare to be eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Conor Sammon?

John Scales :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I'm fairly certain only about 3 people know what this phrase means.

I've never seen any other phrase used incorrectly as often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Didn't some of these players play for Fin Harps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

srfc19 wrote: »

What's wrong with the use of it here? It was originally coined for TV shows, based on that whole Fonzie ridiculousness in Happy Days, and has traditionally come to be used as meaning "the point where something ran out of ideas and/or stopped being relevant"

That's surely applicable to footballers who went off the boil no?

srfc19 wrote: »

What does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

What a stupid phrase

L5 wrote: »
    What a stupid phrase

Nuke the fridge is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gillingham, the whole lot of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

This phrase doesn't really apply in this case. It is not so much about decline, it is more about a change of tactic or a change to what you are doing that ultimately leads to your downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

What a load of carp!

okay now that the pun is out of the way here is the terms definition via wiki:
    Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery, which is usually a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest.

I can only think of one way in which this could be applied to an individual player without talking about when someone got injured and therefore began a decline in quality that could not be recovered from. That is one a singular action of theirs had the effect of lowering my opinion of that player beyond recovery.

In this regard I'd imagine some may mention Suarez the other night but i'd please ask them to avoid that issue as this thread could easily be closed as is but the example I would put forward is Rivaldo. He was a top quality player no doubt and tbh still was after this incident but the time when a ball was kicked at him and struck his leg only for him to fall like a bag of spuds gripping his face altered my opinion of him from that moment forward no matter how good he was.

Some might think the same of Zidane for example after his headbutt in the WC final (not the Zizou I think of though but for many it would be) but the majority of players mentioned probably never had a "jump the shark" moment (ala Fonzy in Happy days where the name came from iirc) where a single event lead to a percieved lack of quality that they couldn't recover from.

The other way I'd think this term might apply is in regards to a transfer a player never recovered from. Torres will probably get mentioned although is injuries may have had as much to play in his decline the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Bebe certainly jumped the shark.

A down on his luck teenager making his way up the ladder of Portuguese football. Nice inspiring story for all the family.

Having him suddenly sign for United was Armin Tamzarian level shark jumping.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ceegee wrote: »
    Bebe...
    Having him suddenly sign for United was Armin Tamzarian level shark jumping.

imo that would be the polar opposite of him jumping the shark as it would be a singular event in his career where people suddenly thought he was much better than before. Before he signed nobody thought he was Man Utd quality after he signed umm a few probably did at least until they saw him play... o wait I mean Bebe is legendary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

imo that would be the polar opposite of him jumping the shark as it would be a singular event in his career where people suddenly thought he was much better than before. Before he signed nobody thought he was Man Utd quality after he signed umm a few probably did at least until they saw him play... o wait I mean Bebe is legendary ;)

In Bébé-land, shark jump you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Thread is going down hill. Time for a change of tactics

Random-Gif-random-22481749-500-363.gif

Another-random-GIF-I-made-Non-Iz-but-funny-0_0-invader-zim-fancharacters-20645682-683-384.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Poochie.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I suppose Michael Bridges doesn't really suit this thread.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

What a load of carp!

okay now that the pun is out of the way here is the terms definition via wiki:

I can only think of one way in which this could be applied to an individual player without talking about when someone got injured and therefore began a decline in quality that could not be recovered from. That is one a singular action of theirs had the effect of lowering my opinion of that player beyond recovery.

In this regard I'd imagine some may mention Suarez the other night but i'd please ask them to avoid that issue as this thread could easily be closed as is but the example I would put forward is Rivaldo. He was a top quality player no doubt and tbh still was after this incident but the time when a ball was kicked at him and struck his leg only for him to fall like a bag of spuds gripping his face altered my opinion of him from that moment forward no matter how good he was.

Some might think the same of Zidane for example after his headbutt in the WC final (not the Zizou I think of though but for many it would be) but the majority of players mentioned probably never had a "jump the shark" moment (ala Fonzy in Happy days where the name came from iirc) where a single event lead to a percieved lack of quality that they couldn't recover from.

The other way I'd think this term might apply is in regards to a transfer a player never recovered from. Torres will probably get mentioned although is injuries may have had as much to play in his decline the past few years.
    I think we could use it more in terms of team decisions e.g. did Liverpool jump the shark when they appointed Graeme Souness as manager? They were great up till then, haven't been the same since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

FatherTed wrote: »
    I think we could use it more in terms of team decisions e.g. did Liverpool jump the shark when they appointed Graeme Souness as manager? They were great up till then, haven't been the same since.

That would not be an example jumping the shark.

At the time Liverpool had a policy of promotion from within, Souness was a former player and had managed Rangers before hand.

Had Liverpool jumped the shark at the time they would have appointed someone like Martin O Neill

• Advertisement
Advertisement