Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League - Bayern Munich v Barcelona First Leg

• 22-04-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭PunterAssist

Bayern Munich v Barcelona
    Tuesday 23rd April 19:45

Potentially one of the games of the season involving what a lot of people would consider the two best teams in world football.

Bayern Munich have won 18 of their last 19 matches in all competitions, with the solitary defeat coming against Arsenal in the Champions League round of 16 second leg.

Bayern Munich have lost just one of 20 previous home encounters against Spanish opponents (W14, D5, L1).

Bayern have won three of their six previous meetings with Barcelona in European competition (W3, D2, L1).

Barcelona have only won two of their last eight away games across all competitions (W2, D4, L2).

The bookies are usually not too far wrong on these major European matches and Paddy Powers opinion is:

Bayern Munich - 41%
    Draw - 29%
    Barcelona - 30%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Would have loved this to be the final . Hopefully it lives up to the hype .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Really looking forward to this ,should be a cracking 2 legs ,,,

Have a feeling Bayern may shade it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona need to go into this game with an attitude of winning the tie in the first leg. None of this holding on desperately at home (Milan 06, PSG) or chasing the game (Chelsea, Inter) in the second leg.

I don't think it'll happen, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can't see Barca winning this on current form, that said they may pull through due their sheer class. They're a team for the big occasion. Bayern are, imo, undoubtedly the better team atm, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw it away. Either way it should be a cracker, neither team will sit back and it will make for a great spectacle. Can see the tie being won on away goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

THFC wrote: »
    Can't see Barca winning this on current form, that said they may pull through due their sheer class. They're a team for the big occasion. Bayern are, imo, undoubtedly the better team atm, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw it away. Either way it should be a cracker, neither team will sit back and it will make for a great spectacle. Can see the tie being won on away goals.

I don't agree at all. You can't see Barcelona winning it on current form? Form that has stormed them to the top of La Liga? Form that has seen them reach the semi final for a record setting number of consecutive times? Bayern are undoubtedly the better team at the moment? Why? What have they done? They've won the Bundesliga, Barcelona have dominated La Liga since week 1 this season. What have the Bayern players won as a group to make you think they are the better team right now? As talented a group as they are they haven't won the Champions League and they have underperformed on the international stage. This Barcelona team have swept all before them, redefining football as they go, this Barcelona team form the core of the most successful international side that there has ever been. This Barcelona team are serial winners, a collection of players who have proven time and time again over the years that they have, not only the quality, but the character to win the big games and the big tournaments. I don't see why Bayern should be considered the better side. Barcelona should go into the tie as favourites because they have earned that right by winning trophies consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't agree at all. You can't see Barcelona winning it on current form? Form that has stormed them to the top of La Liga? Form that has seen them reach the semi final for a record setting number of consecutive times? Bayern are undoubtedly the better team at the moment? Why? What have they done? They've won the Bundesliga, Barcelona have dominated La Liga since week 1 this season. What have the Bayern players won as a group to make you think they are the better team right now? As talented a group as they are they haven't won the Champions League and they have underperformed on the international stage. This Barcelona team have swept all before them, redefining football as they go, this Barcelona team form the core of the most successful international side that there has ever been. This Barcelona team are serial winners, a collection of players who have proven time and time again over the years that they have, not only the quality, but the character to win the big games and the big tournaments. I don't see why Bayern should be considered the better side. Barcelona should go into the tie as favourites because they have earned that right by winning trophies consistently.
    I also think Barca are the better side. Can't ignore the Messi factor either. Bayern just don't have anyone at his level. Not many sides do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Munich are in smashing form, theyve 130+ goals i think this season and a plus 70 or so goal difference in germany, a tight defence, lethal attack and solid midfield. Reckon theyll win over the two legs and hope they do, time to break out the scholl jersey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

klose wrote: »
    Munich are in smashing form, theyve 130+ goals i think this season and a plus 70 or so goal difference in germany, a tight defence, lethal attack and solid midfield. Reckon theyll win over the two legs and hope they do, time to break out the scholl jersey :D

Their goal difference is better than the goals scored of every other side in the Bundesliga.

http://i.imgur.com/mnUrpod.png

I don't think anybody is doubting the form of Bayern Munich this season, in the league in particular, but this is Barcelona they are playing, it's a completely different proposition than anything they will have faced this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

What difference does it make if I think Bayern are favourites??

I watch Barca week in week out, and truth be told they have been struggling a bit. They have been relying on Messi (when he plays!) a little too much. They didn't win a game in the last tie, they got rolled over by Madrid in the Copa and got beaten away against a much poorer Milan side. It came together for them in the second leg of that, but even then, they were still unconvincing. Was it Niang that had a 1 v1 that could have changed the game had it went in?

I'm not saying they won't win, just that I don't expect them too. As has been said above Bayern are in an all-conquering form. They probably won't be favourites because that's not how the bookies work, but they should be. Anyway, I did't want a debate so I'm not commenting further on the matter. If you disagree, feel free to get your point across.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    What difference does it make if I think Bayern are favourites??

I watch Barca week in week out, and truth be told they have been struggling a bit. They have been relying on Messi (when he plays!) a little too much. They didn't win a game in the last tie, they got rolled over by Madrid in the Copa and got beaten away against a much poorer Milan side. It came together for them in the second leg of that, but even then, they were still unconvincing. Was it Niang that had a 1 v1 that could have changed the game had it went in?

I'm not saying they won't win, just that I don't expect them too. As has been said above Bayern are in an all-conquering form. They probably won't be favourites because that's not how the bookies work, but they should be. Anyway, I did't want a debate so I'm not commenting further on the matter. If you disagree, feel free to get your point across.

Then you and I are watching different Barcelona's. Is the pressing as aggressive as in previous seasons? Probably not but their play on the ball remains as impressive as it has ever been. He's not played recently in the league and Fabregas has done well as a false 9, Sanchez has also picked up his form a bit from his dreadful early season slump. Yes they lost the copa but that's one two legged tie that they have lost against Madrid, personally I'd still fancy Barcelona over Madrid in the Champions League. Beaten by Milan but then a rousing comeback in the second leg. Unconvincing? It was Barcelona at their best, one of their great Champions League performances of the last decade, a stirring comeback with all of the class and ferocity we have come to associate with Barcelona.

All conquering in the Bundesliga is very different from all conquering on the European and world stage, something this group of Bayern players have been finding out the last 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Oh, the fanboys are out again. Can someone please limit Andersonisgod to one post a day in any thread involving Barca? Gets really annoying at this stage.

Back to the Game. Should be a cracker, and I believe that Bayern will just about shade it over two legs. I hope the real Barca shows up, and not the limp version of the last few weeks/months. I have been really disappointed with them against PSG, in Milan and some of the more recent La Liga games.

Bayern are on great form, and will be hard to beat. But their defense can be cracked, and Neuer, while fantastic, is prone to the odd howler as well. Ribery is in terrific form, but if Barca can keep him and Schweinsteiger quiet, then they will have a decent chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I can see Bayern Munich winning this game quite comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Bayern are in absolut top form.
    The Juventus tie was incredible, especially the away leg. They have beat a really strong Juventus side by simply going to a tempo Juve couldn't live with. Their possession game was almost flawless. Incredible passing at crazy tempo. They're playing maybe not with the cool tiki taka ease of the Barca team a couple of years ago, but that's not their style anyway, they prefer a fast paced style with more purpose than just possession. They have more pull towards goal than Barca.
    I know Barca are a great side but defensively they're not half as good as when they're attacking and I don't think Barca will be able to live with Bayern's attacking game. Bayern will score against Barca, both home and away, the question will be how many they're going to concede.

After the Juventus game their next 4 domestic encounters ended 9:2, 6:1, 5:1 & 6:2. Bayern have become much stronger since they played Barca in 2009 where they were comfortably beaten 1:1 & 0:4 IIRC.

Barca is not the side they were then and I just can't see a tie of Bayern chasing shadows again.

Having said that it's still Barca and simply on those grounds I couldn't call Bayern favorites. Well that and Messi of course. Someone said they don't have a player of that calibre. Well nobody does 'cos there is just nobody like him.
    I wonder would Bayern put - say - Gustavo on his toes for 90 minutes, but they may consider that beneath them tactically and everything.

I'd say Bayern edge it 'cos they will be hungrier than Barca and they look like in the form of their lives. Also I really really want it to happen.:D

On the downside will I really have to watch this on TV3?:eek: Sky don't have it, please tell me there's an ITV option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is Messi fit? Barca dont seem to be playing him recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Barca will smash them up.

Probably resting him for this tie.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Barca will smash them up.

Barca may well beat them and may well prove to be the better team still, but THAT I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Surprised that bookies would have Bayern as favourites, even if they are playing at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Id have to have Bayern to shade this over the two legs, only danger is them bottling it, which they do have a tendancy to do in all honesty..

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Id have to have Bayern to shade this over the two legs, only danger is them bottling it, which they do have a tendancy to do in all honesty..

Unfortunately I can't say that this isn't a possibility. On the upside it's a fantastic opportunity to beat one of the greatest teams ever - although maybe not quite at the height of their powers anymore - and I hope they will have the character to grab that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Maybe, he's travelled with the squad but everyone is waiting for official confirmation. But he's expected to play.

I'm curious as to whether Bayern are the real deal. The same team bottled it against Chelsea last year after begin equally impressive throughout last years campaign. I'm not sure whether Bayern dominating the Bundesliga is a testament to how good they are or how poor the Bundesliga opposition has been. I find it hard to believe that the back four have only conceded 14 goals in the league. I don't think a win over Barca will prove anything for this team as Barca have appeared to be a bit frail this season. I think Messi could tear apart that back four and I'm not sure if Bayern can be as effective without Mandzukic and Kroos is a big loss too.

Not sure why some people still think those back four may be frail. Now I know the center backs are no Vidic & Kompany but both full backs are as good as it gets and with a choice of Kroos (out I know, big loss), Martinez, Gustavo or Schweinsteiger ahead of them it is a very solid defense. Juventus 4:0 on aggregate.

Against Messi and Iniesta in form anyone can look silly btw. It's going to be very very tough no doubt.

Mandzukic is a loss but Gomez and Pizarro are well proven and that wouldn't worry me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bayern couldn't be in better form and I'd fancy them to get at least a couple against that Barca defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

If Messi has a good game Barce will win,Simple as.But if he can be contained then Bayern have a really good chance at taking a big lead to Camp Nou.A fairly mediocre Milan side beat Barca well in their home leg and PSG,Who are decent but aren't the finished article,Put on a good display against them too.Bayern can definitely give as good a go of it as both of them.

It's likely to be Pique and Bartra/Abidal at the back,Taking on one of the best attack's in the world right now.Usually Barce's midfield is their first form of defence with possession football,But if Messi's not feeling up for it or get's marked well then I think Bayern could have a great night tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Boskowski wrote: »
    Not sure why some people still think those back four may be frail. Now I know the center backs are no Vidic & Kompany but both full backs are as good as it gets and with a choice of Kroos (out I know, big loss), Martinez, Gustavo or Schweinsteiger ahead of them it is a very solid defense. Juventus 4:0 on aggregate.

Against Messi and Iniesta in form anyone can look silly btw. It's going to be very very tough no doubt.

Mandzukic is a loss but Gomez and Pizarro are well proven and that wouldn't worry me too much.

Ill bow to your superior knowledge of your club. Don't get me wrong though I love Alaba. You've two fantastic full backs. From what I've seen I like Dante too but I'm not sure on Boateng and van Buyten isn't good at all IMO.

Ill bow to your superior knowledge of your club. Don't get me wrong though I love Alaba. You've two fantastic full backs. From what I've seen I like Dante too but I'm not sure on Boateng and van Buyten isn't good at all IMO.

Well I'm probably sounding a little more convinced than I am myself.

I see no real weakness in Dante, in fact it's just that this is his first season at this level. He certainly has great potential and may grow into or already be a fully fledged top class international center back.
    Van Buyten is getting on and he's a very big fella and while that can be an advantage he could be the weakness against a team like Barcelona.
    The jury is still out on Boateng. He has not given me any reason to doubt him, but somehow I'm kinda waiting for him to be found out.

Neuer is fantastic btw. Just prone to the very odd funny looking blunder but then who isn't. Even the very great ones have their moments.

I would fear for Bayern if I believed Barca could put on that invincible never ending tiki taka show, but I don't think they can anymore. Not against a team of Bayern's class anyway. I think whatever advantage Messi and Iniesta can give Barca it will be matched by Bayern being the overall more balanced side. None of the other Barcelona players outclass Bayern's as such.

It's just going to be a class tie. Really looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bayern will have to be clinical and take their chances when they arrive. Something PSG and Milan didn't do and were punished. Also something they didn't do against Chelsea last year.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Gomez is the player designed to take chances when they come..however he does it. Is he the sort of player you want to pick when you don't have the ball and hurry the Barcelona defence when they have the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

kryogen wrote: »

Bayern are bottlers ,they are mentally weak ,and whilst they mostly dominate possession they will not do so tomorrow night.
    How will they do without the ball ?
    I wouldnt call them clinical finishers either ,they couldnt hit a barn door in the final last May when the chips were down.

Who do Barcelona have in central defence ,Pique and Marc Bartra ?
    Thats a serious weakness ,Pique is an absolute liability ,he is having a nightmare season and Bartra is a novice.
    I cant see Barcelona keeping a clean sheet tomorrow night so they will have to go out with a positive attitude unlike that shown too often away from home this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Bayern are bottlers ,they are mentally weak ,and whilst they mostly dominate possession they will not do so tomorrow night.
    How will they do without the ball ?
    I wouldnt call them clinical finishers either ,they couldnt hit a barn door in the final last May when the chips were down.

In fairness you can't compare Bayern last year to now. Yes they may have bottled it last year. But not this year.

They had the title race over after only 28 matches (hardly bottlers).
    And if you've seen them play this season you'd see how clinical they can be in front of goal.

Not to mention they have a very mean defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Domestically both teams have rule their respective roosts. Barca, you could argue expectedly, suffered a dip in form after Christmas with Tito out and their scout from last year managing them. Nothing against Roura, but he really wasn't up for that job. Some of those La Liga games were GOD AWFUL!!
    But, then what is awful? Even in those awful games Barca still had most of the possession they just didn't do much with it - they still had the majority of the few number of chances, mind you. They still have obtained 87%+ of all their available points in their league. On par with Bayern they've conceded an average of 1 goal per game in Europe. (Shots conceded is about the same too.)

Barcelona are still very very good team and what a lot of people make the mistake of in that PSG game is just how good PSG were. Tactically Ancellotti deserves a lot of credit. PSG really went at them. Real Betis, Real Sociedad, have shown how to beat Barcelona - press em high and then compact them. (Poor Betis! I'll never let that one go, they deserved the victory!. . . but they lost. :()
    I'd argue, that Mourinho's way is the least efficient way but he had squad problems at the time and was only facing Roura, so I'm not going to question his choice either.

My one worry for Bayern is that they've only faced one team close to Barca's style and that was Arsenal. There were moments in both legs where they were visibly struggling. In the latter tie, particularly. But that might have just been a once off.

The Barca fans on this board - bar, possibly Anderson- will tell you that they hate their teams away attitude. They tend to play very conservatively and very often get caught out.

One little note here : The teams that normally beat barca don't press intensely, they press them, but mostly just to compact the space allowed as little as possible. If Bayern go all gung ho pressing they'll be playing into Barca's hands. It's a very difficult thing to get right. PSG didn't bother, they just locked down the spaces and that was almost enough.

My biggest regret of this year is not getting to watch more of Bayern. :(
    So, I honestly don't know what they're like.

Oh yeah! Alexis Sanchez should play if Messi can't play and Fabregas is required for false 9. If Messi plays then David Villa is preferred. Villa's technical positioning isn't as astute as Sanchez but his "natural game" suits Messi better because both players tend to run forward towards the centre. As Messi so eloquently put it David blocks defenders ahead of him and keeps the centre backs occupied just allowing him extra fraction of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

2-1 Bayern tonight. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Come on Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Boskowski wrote: »
    On the downside will I really have to watch this on TV3?:eek: Sky don't have it, please tell me there's an ITV option.

pYuu3bpl.jpg

I'm gonna go for Bayern to win 2-0 tonight and get a draw in the Camp Nou.
    I got Bayern @ 4/1 to win CL after the 1st leg of the Arsenal game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

ITV for me as well but we have to put up with

0_AndyTownsend.JPG

Just today sport1.de breaking the news of €37m deal on Goetze all but perfect.
    Not good timing and one wonders who leaked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Can't wait for this!

So difficult to predict. I expect a few goals though. Perhaps 2-1 Bayern, but really it could be anything.

It's about performing on the day as both clubs have big players.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Very interesting clash, I see Messi has got the green light to play, this is a huge boost for Barca.

In my opinion Bayern actually have a better team at the current time, but what I also suspect is that they won't play against Barca in the same way 99 percent of teams do, ie defend en masse and try to hit them on the break, which could well give the Catalans a better chance than they would ordinarily have. So I believe the game will be fairly open with a lot of chances.

At the same time, the Barca rearguard has been so flimsy this season, it is hard to see Bayern not scoring at least once or twice at home. But if David Villa plays and if the side can actually come out and attack for once in an important away game, I can envisage how Barca could quite easily pull off a surprise victory (must be a while since that phrase was last used). Plus the German central defence is also a bit shaky, would have no great faith in either Boateng or Dante, even though the latter has been a lot better recently.

I'll go for a 2-1 or 3-2 away victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Narrow Bayern victory tonight.

Mandzuckic will be super important, he's so good at pressing and that Bayern side is very compact and hard working without the ball. In theory they are tailor made to take our Barca. Gomes might be a better goal scorer by Mandnzuckic is far superior all around.

Can't underestimate the Messi factor though. Narrow 2-1 for Bayern and could go either way in the 2nd leg.

• Advertisement

Mandžukić is suspended tonight . They'll miss him definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

update on messi?
    u wud have to think Bayern can get a goal at least. & keep a clean sheet if the magic1 isnt playing

FC Barcelona have just given official confirmation that Lionel Messi is fully fit and can feature against FC Bayern München tonight after being given the medical all-clear. "The Argentinian has the green light from club medics to play in this evening's important game," a statement on the club's official website reads.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/live-coverage/week=31/index.html

that cud change things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Mandžukić is suspended tonight . They'll miss him definitely

Massive loss. And Messi being fit might just turn things in Barca's favour.

I can't not see Bayern scoring at least twice though. Could be quite a few goals tonight.

Messi starts.
    1v2 Barca
    2.8/1 for Barca win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-0 Bayern

Bayern Neuer - Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Alaba - Martínez, Schweinsteiger - Robben, Müller, Ribéry - Gomez.

Barcelona line-up (official): Valdes - Alves Bartra Pique Alba - Xavi Busquets Iniesta - Pedro Messi Alexis #fcblive

Very happy that Tito has opted for Bartra to start at centre back. Given the injury problems he is the right choice, strong, tall Barcelona style centre back, the right choice to play against Gomez. Very strong team overall, perhaps a bit of a surprise that Sanchez starts but I suppose away from home, with Bayern pushing forward, Sanchez making diagnol runs in behind will be an important threat.

And obviously it is great that the greatest footballer in the world, probably the best footballer ever, Messi, starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Very happy that Tito has opted for Bartra to start at centre back. Given the injury problems he is the right choice, strong, tall Barcelona style centre back, the right choice to play against Gomez. Very strong team overall, perhaps a bit of a surprise that Sanchez starts but I suppose away from home, with Bayern pushing forward, Sanchez making diagnol runs in behind will be an important threat.

And obviously it is great that the greatest footballer in the world, probably the best footballer ever, Messi, starts.

Not really. Tito values his positioning and defending more than he does Villa's, it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Is Messi fully fit, has he played in recent La Liga games?

• Advertisement
Advertisement