Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League - Bayern Munich v Barcelona First Leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

fullstop wrote: »
    How on earth could he give that? He was mid air, jumping for the ball, couldn't see the ball when it hit his hand.
    Any time I've seen someone jump with their hands in the air, and it has hit their hand, it has been a peno. Suarez on Sunday, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Bayern can feel harsh done by that they weren't given at least one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

CSF wrote: »
    Similar to the Suarez 1 at the weekend really.

In what way?! Suarez's hands were above his head. Not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

You rarely see Messi running back to his own goal, but it's happening tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

You rarely see Messi running back to his own goal, but it's happening tonight.

Xavi seems to be forward a lot more through the centre when bayern have the ball. Messi is just not fit enough to chase/run... Villa should come on at half time.

In what way?! Suarez's hands were above his head. Not the same thing.
    I really don't think there is a huge amount of difference between having your hand at head height, and above head height. Both are usually penos. Barca have really got away with it, as they always seem to in the Champions League when the chips are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

How on earth could he give that? He was mid air, jumping for the ball, couldn't see the ball when it hit his hand.

Recklessness isnt an excuse

I really don't think there is a huge amount of difference between having your hand at head height, and above head height. Both are usually penos. Barca have really got away with it, as they always seem to in the Champions League when the chips are down.

His hands were out to balance his fall and the ball was headed onto his arm. Suarez jumped with his hands above his head for no apart reason and handed the ball, it wasn't headed onto his hand iirc. But yes, it's a conspiracy.

There is no need to put your hands above your head, Suarez knew what he was doing, and is a cheat, as history shows. He was chancing it.

Alexis' arm was flailing horizontally, have you never jumped?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Recklessness isnt an excuse

So you think he should jump with his hands in his jocks incase someone heads the ball onto his arm?

• Advertisement

His hands were out to balance his fall and the ball was headed onto his arm. Suarez jumped with his hands above his head for no apart reason and handed the ball, it wasn't headed onto his hand iirc. But yes, it's a conspiracy.
    It really doesn't matter why his hands were out though. Just that they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

So you think he should jump with his hands in his jocks incase someone heads the ball onto his arm?

Yeah, thats exactly what I said, well done. A gold star for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The UPC Horizon site is coming in handy tonight. TV3.IE was so laggy it was six minutes behind.

It really doesn't matter why his hands were out though. Just that they were.

See my post just above yours...and RandolphEsq's above that. You can't jump with your arms by your side ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ribery is doing a great job tracking back tonight.

Did I just say that?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Yeah, thats exactly what I said, well done. A gold star for you.

Aww thanks :) So where was this 'recklessness' then?

See my post just above yours...and RandolphEsq's above that. You can't jump with your arms by your side ffs.
    Yet the vast majority of defenders manage to jump without handling the ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Ribery is doing a great job tracking back tonight.

Did I just say that?

All Munich players are working hard, this is a great game to watch, very interesting.

Well he would have managed it too if Dante didn't head the ball onto his arm.

• Advertisement

Alexis was using his left arm to hold off the two lads jumping and his right arm to balance himself.

Try running across your room with your left arm out blocking and see what happens to your right arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The control of the ball has been good, it's been a conservative Barcelona away performance, one typical of Barcelona this season and taking a 1-0 defeat back to the Camp Nou would not be the worst thing in the world. That being said you would expect a bit more adventure in the second half.

How Javi Martinez wasn't booked in that half is a bit perplexing.

Alexis was using his left arm to hold off the two lads jumping and his right arm to balance himself.

Try running across your room with your left arm out blocking and see what happens to your right arm.

Strikes me as someone who has never played football. Anyone who has knows that you can't keep your arms by your side in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Think the first incident was a peno, other one I wouldn't give. Ball got redirected toward his arm which wasn't really in an unnatural position. Reckon some lads on here being too harsh. Bayern dominating, have been pretty solid while Barca quite lacklustre.

Barca swarming the ref is really annoying me. Also never noticed how much Sanchez looks like Bruno Mars, could just be me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bayern deserve that, need another 1 atleast and a clean sheet. Good half of ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The control of the ball has been good, it's been a conservative Barcelona away performance, one typical of Barcelona this season and taking a 1-0 defeat back to the Camp Nou would not be the worst thing in the world. That being said you would expect a bit more adventure in the second half.

Its one of the worst Barcelona performances I've seen this season,they have been woeful.

They need to wake up and play some football,they havent had a shot of any form yet.
    Messi seems to be the only man able to beat and man and he is trying that almost everytime he gets the ball ,which is too predictable.
    The slow passing Barcelona are employing wont break down any defence especially if you only commit 3-4 players forward at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

How Javi Martinez wasn't booked in that half is a bit perplexing.

Conservative? Is that a code word for ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

jesus my tv3 stream is shíte, other people experiencing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Barca still have ability to turn this tie on its head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

People don't realise how much Barca rely on a pacy surface. Bayern now have the time to close down players they otherwise wouldn't on a proper pitch. Shame they were afraid to take them on in normal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Conservative? Is that a code word for ****e?

No, it's a code word for conservative. It's a performance we've seen a couple of times this season. It is one we sometimes see from Spain, a kind of negative tiki taka with the object of the possession being to stop the opposition scoring rather than scoring yourself. Obviously if the chance is there to score they will go for it but the aim from the start has been to control the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Rekop dog wrote: »
    People don't realise how much Barca rely on a pacy surface. Bayern now have the time to close down players they otherwise wouldn't on a proper pitch. Shame they were afraid to take them on in normal conditions.

I don't blame them for watering the pitch that much.

Why have the pitch perfect when you know you're playing a better footballing side? They're at home, they've every right to create whatever edge they can for themselves.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Missed the first half, take it Bayern are well worth the lead?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

DM360 wrote: »
    Think the first incident was a peno, other one I wouldn't give. Ball got redirected toward his arm which wasn't really in an unnatural position.

This unnatural position lark is a load of nonsense.Nowhere in the rules of the game does it mention an unnatural position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

No, it's a code word for conservative. It's a performance we've seen a couple of times this season. It is one we sometimes see from Spain, a kind of negative tiki taka with the object of the possession being to stop the opposition scoring rather than scoring yourself. Obviously if the chance is there to score they will go for it but the aim from the start has been to control the game.

Well they aren't doing a very good job of that are they?

So I wouldn't really say they have had a good first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Blatter wrote: »
    I don't blame them for watering the pitch that much.

Why have the pitch perfect when you know you're playing a better footballing side? They're at home, they've every right to create whatever edge they can for themselves.

I'm explaining the poor performance. As a neutral I find it disappointing and a little gutless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Barcelona have conceded 57 goals so far this season, most since 2002-2003 (59 in whole season) #fcblive [via @pedritonumeros]

Says it all. But given that we're still in contention for major trophies I wouldn't underestimate us :) Messi looks like hes taking his time. If he's not fit, I'd be inclined to take him off tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Couldn't ask for more from Bayern, need another goal or two but definitely heart in the right place and tactically not allowing much. With a bit of luck you get that peno for the first handball. Had that one been the last of the three incidents I'd say he would have given it. Keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

SUPER MARIO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lovely .

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Typical Gomez goal, though looked off

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

F***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

jesus my tv3 stream is shíte, other people experiencing this?

Yes.

If you are a UPC customer try their horizon page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

In the air again.....dreadful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Working well so far. Could easily be 3-0/4-0 at this rate. You can't play like that if your defence is ****e, which is what Barca's is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Honestly expected as much from this game.

Barca's away form hasn't been good in the CL and they've a bad record against Bayern.

Still, will be tough in the Nou Camp regardless.

Bayern are a machine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm explaining the poor performance. As a neutral I find it disappointing and a little gutless.

It's not gutless, it's making the most of an edge. Barca aren't exactly above resorting to sneaky tactics when things aren't going their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Barca just far too weak at defending corners. Suppose thats because they don't often give them away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Very convincing so far from Bayern

Advertisement