Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

courses

Options
  • 22-04-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

i would really love to do an equestrian course hopefully a short course a week or two or three where do i find such a course just to see if i am interested before taking on a full year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

maesdavid wrote: »
    i would really love to do an equestrian course hopefully a short course a week or two or three where do i find such a course just to see if i am interested before taking on a full year

what type ? like you and your horse ?
    or what ? a bit more detail maybe so we could advice you
    there are plenty of courses but maybe not suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

maybe 2 weeks to a month not with my horse by myself both theory and practical stable management that sortof stuff hopefully one day run my own yard

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Anastazia

Hi, the Open College of Equine Studies are in England and they do all sorts of accredited equine courses. You can do taster modules on their own to see how you get on before a full course or separate smaller courses and some of the courses require you to go over for study weeks for 3 or so days to do practicals.

Hope this might help:)

if you had 3 weeks at a time would you just look at somewhere to do work experience?

go to a yard as like a working type student for 3 weeks as then you would get to know the run of things and have practial work experience
    then in your spare time you could do an online course

there are 6 week intensive BHS courses available also in some places too

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

HOW DO I go about finding work experience

• Advertisement

maesdavid wrote: »
    HOW DO I go about finding work experience

what part of country are you in ?
    go onto yardandgroom.com
    there are plenty of places there looking for staff but even you could apply to somewhere and explain your station that you need work experience etc someone maybe willing to take you on for a short period

bhsIreland look them up they run courses either .
    I know of a BHS examiner who teaches stable management etc on weekend courses it maybe another option for you

however you would need a he'll of a lot more than 3 weeks experience to run a yard

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stroppymare

Have you tried Teagasc? They have some great short courses. Some are even available online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

There might be another option to get a taste of stable work etc, I believe Killegar Stables near Enniskerry where offering the type of course you're looking for, stable management etc. If I recall correctly the course is a week long but it might be longer.

You'll find Killegar on web and facebook. I've no connection to Killegar other than my daughter learned to ride there and "helped out", which has given her a lot of knowledge & experience.

Advertisement