Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I spread grass seed few weeks ago and still no growth.

• 22-04-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Have i not layed my grass seed in the proper manner. I have a garden 30mx20 which needed new topsoil and seeded. I bought a few loads of topsoil, let it sit for a week then covered the whole area with new grass seed but 2 and half weeks later, still no grass has sprouted. I was thinking with all that dry spell and then all the rain it would have well sprouted by now but not even one has sprouted up.

I was informed from a friend that i should have rolled the seed into the soil or even after spreading the seed out, i should have raked over it all again. Would this be the correct way to sow seeds and if so, have i just wasted my seeds thats been spread. Forgive me if these sound silly questions but TBH i havent the first clue about anything to do with gardening:o

This same friend has told me to go over the garden now with a rake even thou its been a few weeks since i spread them. I was thinking that i might destroy the seeds in some way if i go trampling all over them or even roll them because the seeds are at a real fragile stage of theyre life.

Any suggestions on what i could do or am i just worrying about nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

I wouldn't worry just yet,weather is to cold for anything to grow.Some fertilizer would help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Another 3/5 days like today you might see a little sprouting happening...regarding what the friend said on the family farm my uncle would plough,harrow,roll,harrow,rake,seed nothing after that let nature take its course

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Salmonman wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry just yet,weather is to cold for anything to grow.Some fertilizer would help it

would fertilizer not just kill the seeds at this early stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Daithio12

tootsy70 wrote: »
    would fertilizer not just kill the seeds at this early stage

No a fertiliser like 10.10.20 is vital in the establishment of a new lawn.
    Edit to say applied at the correct rate.

Daithio12 wrote: »
    No a fertiliser like 10.10.20 is vital in the establishment of a new lawn.
    Edit to say applied at the correct rate.

Is it a spray fertiliser ?

• Advertisement

Is it a spray fertiliser ?
    No,50kg bag,should cost around 25euro in a co-op

Salmonman wrote: »
    No,50kg bag,should cost around 25euro in a co-op

How much would i 50kg bag cover. Ive also a 1/2 acre garden needs a wee top up with fertiliser

Half to three quather bag should do the garden

Ended up just going over it again with the rake and put more seed down. The ground was hard but ended up getting the seeds all mixed through the soil so im now expecting a better rate of growth. Hopefully it doesnt take to long now to shoot up. Anyone know how long a lawn takes to get going, im wondering would i have a nice lawn ccome july.

Should be going well by July,need some heat with a little rain.Go look at from ground level and it might surprise you what's growing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Ended up just going over it again with the rake and put more seed down. The ground was hard but ended up getting the seeds all mixed through the soil so im now expecting a better rate of growth. Hopefully it doesnt take to long now to shoot up. Anyone know how long a lawn takes to get going, im wondering would i have a nice lawn ccome july.

you really need to give it some fert like 10.10.20 to get the roots established

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

It's too cold at the moment really. September is the best month for setting lawn seed but that may not suit.

Fertiliser is a bad idea until the seeds have at least germinated.

It's too cold at the moment really. September is the best month for setting lawn seed but that may not suit.

Fertiliser is a bad idea until the seeds have at least germinated.
    In the right conditions seed germinates in a matter of days, hence why it's best to apply the fertiliser at the same time as sowing, you also run the risk of burning the new seedlings if you fertilise after germination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I always thought you should wait till the grass is a good few weeks old before fertilising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

In the right conditions seed germinates in a matter of days

True, but September is the optimum month for sowing grass seed.
    ...it's best to apply the fertiliser at the same time as sowing, you also run the risk of burning the new seedlings if you fertilise after germination.

I disagree. Fertiliser may scorch the radicle and plumule as soon as they emerge. This will kill the seedling.

(This is why the John Innes Seed recipe is very low nutrient. No's 1, 2 and 3 then have increasing amounts of nutrient.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

It will take 2 weeks in our current climate to germinate.

This is mine a little under 1 month old. Picture taken today
    grassr.jpg

You will need to water it in the mornings though and stay off it. I used a mix of fertiliser and grass seed with great results so far. I believe in one more month I will have a new usable nice lawn.

brokenarms wrote: »

grassr.jpg

You will need to water it in the mornings though and stay off it. I used a mix of fertiliser and grass seed with great results so far. I believe in one more month I will have a new usable nice lawn.

Thanks for the pics, its a real help. Mines has started to pop up but nowhere near as much growth as your own. As for watering, i have just been letting teh rain do this. Even when it was dry and i raked it, it was dampish underneath so i thought best to not water it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Thanks for the pics, its a real help. Mines has started to pop up but nowhere near as much growth as your own. As for watering, i have just been letting teh rain do this. Even when it was dry and i raked it, it was dampish underneath so i thought best to not water it anymore.
    Until the seed gets a root you will need to keep everything damp. Top and bottom. If you want faster results that is.
    Being careful not to wash out the soil or wash away the seed.

True, but September is the optimum month for sowing grass seed.

I disagree. Fertiliser may scorch the radicle and plumule as soon as they emerge. This will kill the seedling.

(This is why the John Innes Seed recipe is very low nutrient. No's 1, 2 and 3 then have increasing amounts of nutrient.)
    Lol are you trolling?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

grassr.jpg

Jesus, I'd wonder how you're getting any direct sunlight in there at all! Looks blocked off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

grassr.jpg

You forgot to lay a path,paving or the wood effect slabs down the side of the garden to the shed/bbq...;)

Also some sort of walkway for your raised veggie/flower bed for weeding/planting purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Lol are you trolling?.

??? He's right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

have you seen fatter birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Wouldn't worry too much Tbh I cleared an old dead hedge line out of my lawn last year added some top soil raked it so it was even and literally threw grass seed down by hand and now its flying. Only after care was to water it when it was extremely dry as in when the ground was cracking so I'd say when the weather warms it'll be grand.

Advertisement