Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Issue

Options
  • 22-04-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I broke my leg just over a week ago playing soccer and was subsequently put in a cast. At the time I was told that I would have to spend at least the next six weeks out of work, to which I informed my employer.

However during a conversation with my boss the other day he hinted at me coming back to work next week. The problem is though I don't feel ready to go back yet and also don't want to risk doing any further damage to my leg.

Therefore I was just looking for yere advice on how approach this with my boss.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you've a note from your doctor saying you can't work for 6 weeks, then your boss cannot insist you go in before then. There's no need for a big discussion about it - just tell him firmly but politely that the doctor has said that you're not fit for work and may cause more damage if you go in before you're fully healed.

You can tell him that you'll keep him informed of your progress in case the recovery is quicker, and the doctor is happy to sign off on you returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

AFAIK if the doctor has cert'd you off work for a set period of time then you can't go back to work before that as it has implications on your insurance.

I'm not 100% on that so open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be aware that your boss may think he's doing you a favour by making it possible for you to be earning again more quickly.

TBH, I'd be totally honest with the boss for now - maybe play up how exhausted you're feeling, and how the doctor has said that it's normaly for you to be sleeping a lot and for day-to-day activities to take a lot longer than usual.

Then in a couple of weeks, use the "I want to come back, but the mean doctor won't let me, keeps sending me to physio in the daytime instead" approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

OP, what is the nature of your job, does it involve sitting in front of a computer for the day, or are you on your feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, what is the nature of your job, does it involve sitting in front of a computer for the day, or are you on your feet?

This may be irrelevant: if a doctor thinks you need to be stress free in order for a fracture to heal, that includes emotional as well as physical stress.

Bottom line, it comes down to a doctor's professional opinion, not a managers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

This may be irrelevant: if a doctor thinks you need to be stress free in order for a fracture to heal, that includes emotional as well as physical stress.

Bottom line, it comes down to a doctor's professional opinion, not a managers.

Agreed completely, if the medical opinion is that one needs to stay at home for x amount of time then there can be no arguing with it.

I had a similar experience myself where I also broke my leg quite badly, and required an operation with a subsequent 6 week spell in a cast. In my own case the doctor gave me a letter noting that I could be excused from employment for this duration (paid sick leave) although that after the first week once the sitches had settled he would have been fine (from a medical aspect) with me returning to work if I so wished. I gave it a go and it worked out fine for me, as I sit at a desk most of the day, and was in no more discomfort than I would have been while at home anyway.

It was complelely a personal choice of course, and there would have been no way I would have accepted it if my employer had put me under pressure to do so.

Advertisement