Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy part of a company

Options
  • 22-04-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Ok so I'm think of offering to buy 20% of a website because I think that it has the potential to be quite big if somethings are done.
    But I honestly don't have a clue what I am doing!!
    -How much should i offer if the website is estimated to be worth 4,000$
    -How much of a say would I have in decision making if I own 20%.
    -If we make a deal, how do I make it legal? Do we need to to make a contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

How much is is worth? This is a difficult question and would be down to what you believe the potential of the website is after you have changed the few things you mentioned. It could be a multiple of the future earnings of the site discounted for level of risk and your time.

On its own 20% is not a significant shareholding and if push came to shove you would not have a significant say in the running of the business. This of course would depend on the nature of the other percentage shareholders of the business. You would normally insist on putting a shareholders agreement in place.

In order to make it legal you would have a shareholders agreement as well as have the company issue the shares to you or have the shares transfered to you via and ST4 form.

Hope this helps

dbran

Advertisement