Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog left alone crying all day

• 22-04-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

People who live behind us got a new dog over the past few months. As a dog lover and the owner of two dogs I am disgusted at this even though I know it happens everywhere. I purposely watched this evening from my window as this has upset me greatly. The dog was jumping up at the window when they came in and turned on the lights but they just left him to cry and pace around like a mad thing. I know where the wife works and wonder should I phone up and let them know how I feel or should I just butt out and mind my own business. Its also upsetting my two very quiet dogs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Why would you ring her employer about this issue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

No I meant to ring where she works and ask for her. I don't know them, only to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Calling the wife at her place of business is passive aggressive IMO. Can you call round to the neighbour? Make suggestions on how to keep the poor dog occupied whilst they're out (Kongs, hidden treats, etc.) Maybe offer to walk their dog with yours if you're able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Ah sorry. Read it wrong. Well, if it is going on regularly with a while and they don't have any interest in the dog then they probably shouldn't have one. It's not very fair on the dog when all it wants is a bit of attention.
    I'd be inclined to make them aware of it if it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Phoning them up or approaching them just to let them know how you feel will do no got and might just antagonis the situation. Approach them with solutions not just anger and pointing the finger. I know how frustrating it can be to see something like this going on but as a dog lover you will want to take the approach that will best benefit the dog.

Perhaps, if you are in a position to, offer to walk the dog during the day while they are out. Or mention that you have noticed the dog jumping at the window during the day and you had a "friend" who had problems with a dog being bored while they were out and they used kongs and stuffed toys etc to help with that.

While I know it is horrible to see, unfortunately there is not a lot you can do in terms of approaching external organisations as the dog has food and shelter, and so in some peoples eyes, is being cared for.

While we both work during the day, we walk our guy before we leave in the morning, as soon as we get home (a short one) and then again later in the evening. We also play fetch and some games with him in the house and I spend about 10 minutes with him practicing tricks while the dinner is cooking. Not all people see that a dog needs more than just bed and a food which is frustrating but you dont want to p!$$ off your neighbours so that they will become unbearable and no changes are implemented into the dogs routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

flahers wrote: »
    People who live behind us got a new dog over the past few months. As a dog lover and the owner of two dogs I am disgusted at this even though I know it happens everywhere. I purposely watched this evening from my window as this has upset me greatly. The dog was jumping up at the window when they came in and turned on the lights but they just left him to cry and pace around like a mad thing. I know where the wife works and wonder should I phone up and let them know how I feel or should I just butt out and mind my own business. Its also upsetting my two very quiet dogs

Why not . You can't just walk someone's dog or take over the lifetime minding and care of someone else's pet.
    I agree - approach them at home & say what you've said here about the barking & isolation & disruption to you . Give them the opportunity to address it. As they' re not there they may not know - or care. Don't approach them at work at first. But if you don't have their daytime private number and they continue after your conversation to leave a dog locked up & distressed day after day barking I don't see why you shouldn't be able to communicate with them during daytime & give them the opportunity to address it. They might be embarrassed into it - I couldn't imagine getting a message from a colleague saying this is the 20th day your puppy has been barking for 10 hours in the rain in your back garden. Not would I want my work colleagues knowing that was going on if it was.

If there was an emergency with my pet I would like to know about it if I was in work. But then again I love & care for my pet.

That seems to be the difference here, perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I totally agree with justathought. Hopefully you can either make them feel bad for the poor dog by pointing out how social isolation and exclusion with no company or stimulation is a cruel life for a dog and not acceptable or embarrass them into doing something - is the dog at least inside for a couple of hours in the evening or is it basically outside alone 24/7? Does it have any shelter?

These situations leave me in despair. I just dont know what is wrong with people and why they get dogs. Its pure selfishness and lack of empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

DOG APPEARS TO HAVE SHELTER AT SIDE OF HOUSE. WHEN ITS WARM HE LIES ON THEIR DECKING. HE GOES ABSOLUTELY BERSERK WHEN THEY COME IN, YET THEY CONTINUE TO LEAVE HIM OUTSIDE. I'M SO MAD AND SAD FOR THE DOG AT THE SAME TIME. HOUSE HAS A VERY BIG GARDEN AND THERE WOULD BE NO CRUELTY, JUST IGNORANCE ON PART OF OWNERS. IM NOT A NOSEY OLD BIDDY BUT WHEN IT COMES TO ANIMALS I JUST CANT HELP BUT WORRY WHEN I SEE AND HEAR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Its really hard having a situation like this nearby when it upsets you so much. I would go and speak to them and explain how upset you are and how sorry you feel for the dog. Some morons will come out with something along the lines of "but its a dog - dogs were meant to live outside" etc.. blah blah blah.....tell them dogs were not meant to live in isolation and boredom and spend their lives lonely and constantly craving interaction and love which is never given. Also point out the dogs barking causes an inconvenience. If you could get the situation to a place whereby they bring in the dog every evening after work that would be fair enough.

Try not to allow this to upset you too much though as that wont help matters and will only cause you distress. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

flahers wrote: »
    DOG APPEARS TO HAVE SHELTER AT SIDE OF HOUSE. WHEN ITS WARM HE LIES ON THEIR DECKING. HE GOES ABSOLUTELY BERSERK WHEN THEY COME IN, YET THEY CONTINUE TO LEAVE HIM OUTSIDE. I'M SO MAD AND SAD FOR THE DOG AT THE SAME TIME. HOUSE HAS A VERY BIG GARDEN AND THERE WOULD BE NO CRUELTY, JUST IGNORANCE ON PART OF OWNERS. IM NOT A NOSEY OLD BIDDY BUT WHEN IT COMES TO ANIMALS I JUST CANT HELP BUT WORRY WHEN I SEE AND HEAR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

When is it they are leaving the dog outside? When they first come home from work is it? Do they ever bring the dog in?

Maybe they are trying to train the dog to be calmer greeting them/people? Going out to the dog just because its animated isnt a good habbit to get the dog into is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

When is it they are leaving the dog outside? When they first come home from work is it? Do they ever bring the dog in?

Maybe they are trying to train the dog to be calmer greeting them/people? Going out to the dog just because its animated isnt a good habbit to get the dog into is it?

Possibly as said here they are trying to wait for the dog to calm down before greeting him/her. How long did you stay watching.

Advertisement