Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised beds: what are the advantages and where to buy/build

• 22-04-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Basic question but what is the advantage of using raised beds for growing veg as opposed to just digging and filtering the soil? Also, can anyone recommend where to buy raised beds? I saw to beds (6ft x 4ft) in a garden centre to e150 but thought this was a but steep considering its just a few lengths of timber. I have a about ten sleeper rails but am reluctant to use as it looks like they were dosed in oil so I wouldn't want them near the veg.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

in our climate i find them much better draining, they dry out quicker tho but not much of an issue just watch out very long dry spells ;-)
    easy to work, reach and manage, veg-gardening is a breeze
    got mine 16ftx3ft and got 4 of them, mulched paths between
    i used slightly weathered scaffolding boards, thick wood is preferred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

in our climate i find them much better draining, they dry out quicker tho but not much of an issue just watch out very long dry spells ;-)
    easy to work, reach and manage, veg-gardening is a breeze
    got mine 16ftx3ft and got 4 of them, mulched paths between
    i used slightly weathered scaffolding boards, thick wood is preferred

Where did you get the scaffolding boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

donedeal. they go by grade, i got them for 3.50 for an 8ft length. they also had some at 2.50 all the way up to 8 euro

Advertisement