Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All taxes, charges, fee's etc. for owning property in Dublin

Options
  • 22-04-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Can anyone provide a clear concise list of all the charges associated with owning a property in Dublin.

I've seen mention of many associated charges and considering a purchase but so many fee's and charges I'm getting confused...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

newtodub wrote: »
    Can anyone provide a clear concise list of all the charges associated with owning a property in Dublin.

I've seen mention of many associated charges and considering a purchase but so many fee's and charges I'm getting confused...

The main one is the Property Tax. Other than that, apartments will have management fees to pay for communal services, building insurance etc. Most houses are freehold, although some older houses are leasehold and have a very small peppercorn annual rent, often not collected.

Stamp duty on purchase is 1%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Will give it a go.

Stamp duty, solicitors fees, outlays for legal.

Esb, gas/oil, tv licence, property tax, refuse collection, if a landlord - income tax and maybe accounts fees, water rates soon. General maintenence. Insurance
    Think thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to the more appropriate forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

newtodub wrote: »

This is all I can think of but I am sure there are more costs than this - other posters on here might add to that list

For initially buying the house;
    1. Solicitors fees
    2. Stamp duty
    3. Engineers/Surveyors inspection
    4. Drains inspection (often separate to the engineers report)
    5. Deposit required - 10-20% of the sale price usually
    When you own the house
    1. Property tax - collected by the revenue
    2. Bin charges - not a legal requirement but almost impossible to live without
    3. Water charges are coming in soon
    4. Building insurance - much higher if renting out the property
    5. Mortgage protection insurance if you want the security
    6. Management fees if it's an apartment.
    7. These ones only apply if your living in the house yourself
      • ESB
      • Heat costs
      • TV licence
      • Broadband

If your renting the house out to tenants these are in addition to the charges above except point 7
    1. NPPR (Non Principal Private Residence) - only charged if its not your main home.
    2. BER rating
    3. Advertising costs
    4. Maintenance (rule of thumb is 1 months rent)
    5. Income tax (probably top rate as you will have used your credits in your day job)
    6. PRTB fee
    7. Accountants fees (highly advised if your not an accountant yourself)

This is a post I made in a much earlier thread and it has links built into that thread that take you to the NPPR, PRTB etc.

Good luck with your purchase

Advertisement