Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on cooking dried beans?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I don't think this is a food safety question, as I threw it out already. But I tried to cook a mixed-bean portion, and after two hours the split peas were still rock hard:S I soaked it for ten hours beforehand, and I wonder what I did wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

I've tried three times and they have never worked so I'm interested to hear any tips out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Did you by any chance add salt to the water when cooking? That can make beans hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I had a similar experience with beans the other day, they had (for shame) a best before date in 2010. Google told me it could be age related. Any chance yours were granda beans too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You can do two things.

1)A cold (long) or hot (short) soak

Cold coak would be put them in a big bowl/containter and cover with cold water until the water is about 2inches above the beans, put a towel over the bowl and leave them to soak on a countertop for 8 hours or in the fridge overnight.
    A hot soak would be to put them in a pot and cover with cold water until the water is 2-3 inches above the beans and then bring to a boil and let them boil rapidly for 3 minutes and then remove from the heat, cover with a lid and let them soak, off the heat, in your kitchen for an hour.

After than, drain the beans, put them in a clean pot, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and let them cook for 1-2 hours depending on what type and size beans you have.

OR

2) Use a pressure cooker.

Now, for peas and lentils here's the general way of doing it

Sort and rinse dried peas and lentils as you would dried beans, picking out old shriveled looking pieces and any bits of grit you find. Then simply bring 1½ cups water or stock to a boil for each cup of dried lentils or peas. Once the liquid is boiling add the lentils or peas, return to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until tender, 30 to 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Is the end result any nicer than tinned beans? It seems like a huge effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hardCopy wrote: »
    Is the end result any nicer than tinned beans? It seems like a huge effort.
    I agree. There are some things that life is too short for, cooking dried beans is one of them a far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Tbh, everything was perfect except for the split peas, and I didn't add salt, soaked, and the expiry date isn't for a year. I think I'll just throw the split peas out before cooking.

And, supposedly, cooking and soaking dried beans removies the sugar that causes flatulence, and is cheap:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 honey83

That is really strange because split peas and lentils for me have always been pretty fast cooking. actually they are easier to over cook!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Regularly do dried beans. Kidney, Lima (butter), Pinto etc...........all soaked overnight or 24 hours and 16 minutes in a pressure cooker. Perfect.....come out soft. Throw a few chickpeas in aswell.

Curried beans, just fry off a few spices in oil along with onion and garlic, add beans and a few pints of water. Bang the lid on, 16 minutes. Done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement