Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silicon Valley transition year work experience

• 22-04-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am currently a third year student, weighing up my options for transition year work experience.. Basically I am really interested in it and computers and thinking about places where I will do my work experience in ty. I want to do something different. I am thinking about heading to the states and doing it with a company in Silicon Valley.. I have a few contacts that are very high up.. Mangers and directors etc with the likes of apple yahoo and a few others. Am I mad, am I crazy or would it be an experience of lifetime? Like I have the contacts and to have that on my cv would like great.

I have looked this into detail and understand high school students undertake job shadowing which the equivalent to what the transition year work experience programme is. I really would appreciate people's views and thoughts. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sounds like the experience of a lifetime if you have the funds to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sweet Jebus, will you just do it and stop thinking about it?

It's even more than a chance of a lifetime.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

"I done my work experience at the local bakery" vs "I done my work experience at Google's HQ in Silicon Valley". Easy choice, go for it and you will never regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Definitely do it, my one regret in TY was not doing work experience abroad or doing an exchange or going to school in a foreign country. However to do work experience as a foreigner in America I think you have to be 16? That stopped me from doing work experience there but hopefully you're old enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 340michael

Kingcobra, I actually will be 16 by then.. I'm so glad you are after saying that you had no problem and they would have let you if u were 16.. Otherwise would you have done it, what about cover for insurance can the company provide that? What I plan on doing is spend 2 week with a company and then 2 weeks at a high school maybe.. A friend of mine is a high school teacher so I would be sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 340michael

kingcobra wrote: »
    Definitely do it, my one regret in TY was not doing work experience abroad or doing an exchange or going to school in a foreign country. However to do work experience as a foreigner in America I think you have to be 16? That stopped me from doing work experience there but hopefully you're old enough :)

Kingcobra, I actually will be 16 by then.. I'm so glad you are after saying that you had no problem and they would have let you if u were 16.. Otherwise would you have done it, what about cover for insurance can the company provide that? What I plan on doing is spend 2 week with a company and then 2 weeks at a high school maybe.. A friend of mine is a high school teacher so I would be sorted

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

DO IT.

Just do it

I got the chance to do work experience in Microsoft's(I know I know not a Silicon Valley company) EU HQ here in Dublin and it was amazing, if you can get into IT companies in California and can fund it, that would look so much better than anything people can do here in Ireland but there is a problem.

Your school has to insure you..

My insurance didn't even cover construction sites 10 metres off the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

340michael wrote: »

I have a friend who went to Seattle as well on work experience and he could go because he was 16 and he had an uncle working in the company he went to. To be honest I don't know about the insurance but I don't think it's too big a deal as my friend didn't seem to have much bother with it. But anyway, going to a high school would be a deadly experience and I reckon you shouldn't have too much trouble with going there.

Advertisement