If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about tvs

Options
  • 22-04-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭

Hello

Im sure you are sick of these questions but I'm just really confused with all the different tvs and input signals to tvs.

I have UPC HD and I have the option of setting the HDMI resolution either at
    > 720 p
    > 1080 i
    on my upc box. ( there is no 1080 P setting but maybe this is because my current TV can not do 1080 p )

The upc box has a HDMI interface.

I watch sport on TV alot and then just general TV. ( no gaming, blu ray etc ) and im essentially looking for a TV with the clearest image with no blur.

The room I'm in is not awful bright and its my sitting room.
    I sit about 7ft from the TV.

What would be the best tv from these :

1. 42 inch plasma 720 p - 600 hz
    2. 42 inch LED 1080 p - 100 hz

Would the low 100 hz refresh rate on the LED cause blur when watching sport ?

I think HD TV is transmitted in 720 p ....... so is there any real benefit in having a 1080 p TV when watching HD TV ?

Then , I only have about 20 channels that broadcast in HD so alot of my viewing woukd be on standard definition channels.......... so does the 1080 p v 720 p argument even matter at all when watching non HD channels ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

obi604 wrote: »
    Hello

Im sure you are sick of these questions but I'm just really confused with all the different tvs and input signals to tvs.

> 720 p
    > 1080 i
    on my upc box. ( there is no 1080 P setting but maybe this is because my current TV can not do 1080 p )

I watch sport on TV alot and then just general TV. ( no gaming, blu ray etc ) and im essentially looking for a TV with the clearest image with no blur.

I think HD TV is transmitted in 720 p ....... so is there any real benefit in having a 1080 p TV when watching HD TV ?

Then , I only have about 20 channels that broadcast in HD so alot of my viewing woukd be on standard definition channels.......... so does the 1080 p v 720 p argument even matter at all when watching non HD channels ?
    The reason there's no 1080p from UPC is that they don't send any signals in 1080p.
    The best TV HD quality that you'll get from them is 720p which the box will bump up to 1080i but I personally think it doesn't look as good. 1080p is for Blu-ray and gaming really as most TV signals don't go to 1080p.

As for picking a TV , If you watch sport then go Plasma. You simply cannot get the motion clarity on an LED that you can on a Plasma. (Well I've yet to see it) , But Plasmas are much heavier so that's the downside. I recently bought an LED and regret it.
    I'll be getting plasma again next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭obi604

Lovely, thanks for the reply

Can anyone recommend a 42 inch Plasma thats 1080 P and not awfully expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Lovely, thanks for the reply

Can anyone recommend a 42 inch Plasma thats 1080 P and not awfully expensive.

SNIP

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Obi604,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

We're currently in the middle of the old 2012 models being swapped with the brand spanking new 2013 models so not an awful lot of plasma's atm.

Panasonic's plasma screens last year were outstanding!  The ST50 was a fantastic screen and the new ST60 should be here very shortly, still waiting on pricing.

You could check out the Panasonic TXP 42X60.  This is a HD ready, 600hz plasma.  Got one in front of me at the moment and it's very impressive.  Only HD ready but still a very good picture.  Current price on this is £419.95.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/txp42x60b/pana-txp42x60b

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hello

> 720 p
    > 1080 i

Hi Obi and apologies for the delay getting back to you,

If you wanted a good quality 42" Plasma then the new Panasonic TXP42X60 is excellent at just £419.95 / €499.99:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/txp42x60b/pana-txp42x60b

With 600Hz Motion processing the pictures are super smooth - the 42UT50 that MP has posted about I think is now a finished line..

If you wanted to step up a little we have the LG 50PN650, which is 1080P at £529.95 / €639.99 (have a look - it's W A Y more expensive in most places in Dublin!)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/50pn650t/lg-50pn650t

If you wanted LED - why not have a look at the LG 42LS570 which I offered on a Boardie deal yesterday at £419.95 / €499.99 - this is a Full HD 1080P LED TV - it's also smart - in that you can connect it to your network - it's a 200Hz MCi motion processing unit so its pretty good with sports and on-screen movement - have a look here:

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LS570T-led-tv

Apologies again for the delay and if you have a def budget drop us a line and we can quote exactly on the units that we think would suit you best!

ATVB,

John MC & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed reply John

So for my viewing type in original post, would you recommend the LED or the Plasma ?

Thanks for the detailed reply John

So for my viewing type in original post, would you recommend the LED or the Plasma ?
    I'm still a Plasma fan to be honest and if your room is quite dark (as you say) and does not suffer from reflections then I would recommend Plasma as the on-screen movement tends to be well handled even on relatively inexpensive models.

The image on a Plasma can sometimes appear a little 'softer' however than an LED - most people prefer this as it's just more natural - some budget LED's can have a very 'hard and defined' picture which immediately can appear better but frequently much of the detail is lost.

To be honest it's really a personal preference - and there are other issues to be considered - Plasma will normally have a more reflective screen and the actual unit will almost certainly be heavier and may consume slightly more power than an LED/LCD at a similar price - however   in my experience and especially for fast moving on screen images pound for pound I'd go for Plasma (but they are getting scarce to find..)

Keep me posted,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

John,

Excellent reply.
    I only use the TV for watching sport and general television.
    I will probably spend 20% of my time watching the actual HD channels.
    lets simplify things :

does HD TV from UPC transmit the signal at 720 P ??
    And if so does this only apply to the actual HD channels ?

Based on this, is having a 1080p TV any advantage in the above situation ?

And then with Standard definition channels, does having a 720p or 1080p TV really even matter all that much ?

John,

Excellent reply.
    I only use the TV for watching sport and general television.
    I will probably spend 20% of my time watching the actual HD channels.
    lets simplify things :

does HD TV from UPC transmit the signal at 720 P ??
    And if so does this only apply to the actual HD channels ?

Based on this, is having a 1080p TV any advantage in the above situation ?

And then with Standard definition channels, does having a 720p or 1080p TV really even matter all that much ?
    Obi,

apologies but I'm not completely familiar with UPC in the ROI but I think that their box is 1080i capable ( I stand ready to be corrected on this)

Most people say that there is little difference in the quality output between the 1080i and 720P settings on their UPC boxes however I have not tried this personally so I cannot agree or disagree (happy to open this to other Richer Boardies for their input here?)

The basic fact of course is that is you have a 720P TV I'd set it to 720 and likewise if you have a 1080P monitor - I'd set it to the 1080i setting..

The perceived wisdom is that 1080i or 1080P TV's Full HD TV's are superior to HD Ready 720p units - however as with many technical or mechanical purchases, the numbers can often deceive - frequently you can get a TV of superior quality and a demonstrably superior picture  to another TV which 'on paper'  boasts a better specification.

Hope I haven't confused the issue even further :o,

Thanks again and keep me posted,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks again for taking the reply John. It's all very confusing but I'm getting there : )
    If you get a chance, honest thoughts on this model that was suggested above :

• Advertisement

Thanks again for taking the reply John. It's all very confusing but I'm getting there : )
    If you get a chance, honest thoughts on this model that was suggested above :

HI Obi604.

If you dont mind the lack of smart or 3D then the 50" LG is a really nice screen for the money.
    600Hz, full 1080p HD.

Will display sport with minimum motion blur and it also has really good colours for movies and HD content.

Hope this helps a little further.

Any other questions please let us know.

Kenny

Thanks for that reply. To be honest, ive no interest in 3D or a smart TV :)
    I just use the TV for watching General TV and sports on TV
    I think Panasonics are the best when it comes Plasma screen TV's
    Are LG Plasmas ok though ? ( I think LG have a relatively good reputation, but dont know what their PLASMA screen reputation is like )

Kenny

Thanks for that reply. To be honest, ive no interest in 3D or a smart TV
    Are LG Plasmas ok though ? ( I think LG have a relatively good reputation, but dont know what their PLASMA screen reputation is like )

Hi Obi,

I'd agree Panasonic have the best plasma screens out there.  LGs are not bad at all, been very impressed with their new range so far in both LED and plasma. 

The model Kenny was talking about is very impressive for the money.  Currently got a demo blu-ray disc running through it with plenty of action scenes and motion has been great so would suit grand for what you need :)

Chris

Kenny

Thanks for that reply. To be honest, ive no interest in 3D or a smart TV
    I agree that without doubt Pana do produce the best plasma - however it is generally a price notch or two above LG and for a value / quality balance it's really hard to knock LG and their new generation is excellent - however it does appear that the '50' and '60' series from Panasonic does represent something of a swansong for Panasonic with Plasma and they really have put huge efforts into them.

DaveMc our resident TV Guru has recently changed his trusty Pioneer Kuro for a 50ST50 Panasonic and he is blown away by the improvement - and to be honest if he recommends a TV - you can rest assured that its excellent - if he actually BUYS one - then its exceptional!!! (no I'm not suggesting that he's tight - just careful ;))

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

Joh Mc & Crew

Thanks again for the replies .

but to sum up LG is not a terrible brand or anything when it comes to Plasmas, I hope anyways

Thanks again for the replies .

but to sum up LG is not a terrible brand or anything when it comes to Plasmas, I hope anyways
    'Eh ...Not at all - quite the opposite - literally pound for pound when it comes to a mixture of quality and pricing - you will not best LG Plasma - if you have the additional spends the I would recommend the Pana - but LG screens are really excellent,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John mc

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mark26

I'm on the hunt for a Panasonic ST60 as I hear they are meant to be quality. Does anyone know  where would be the best place to buy one in Ireland ?

Mark26 wrote: »
    I'm on the hunt for a Panasonic ST60 as I hear they are meant to be quality. Does anyone know  where would be the best place to buy one in Ireland ?
    Hi Mark,

Unfortunately this isn't a screen we stock :(

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.