Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Won't Boot, Can't access Safe Mode

Options
  • 22-04-2013 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Halp Please! Laptop at home is hanging on black screen after Logo. Windows 7, HP Vision AMD.

Tapping F8 etc. doesn't bring it back. Esc brings up List for System Information, Diagnostics, Booting etc. Can get into BIOS. Don't know how I can get into Modes Screen; Normal, Safe etc. to try anything in there. When I'm in the Windows Boot Manager it just says Windows 7, it doesn't say other modes or anything else. Please help! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

try booting windows into vga mode

press f8 and instead of safe mode try choosing vga mode

this will boot windows normally but not load the graphics drivers

then uninstall graphics drivers and download updated drivers and install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

It won't show anything at all on the Screen today. :/ Yesterday it showed up the Logo alright and could get into a couple of things, just getting the black screen today when I turn it on. Can't get into anything at all.

Is VGA another Mode in the Safe, Networking List or where would I go into VGA? Cheers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

I have the same problem. The HDD is broke so had spare one and wondering if anyway to install a new OS.

After Manufacturer Logo screen just says pxe-m0f: exiting Intel pxe rom
    no bootable device -- insert boot disk.

I don't have any cds for it.

Even getting Linux installed on it would be great. My wife just wants for browsing internet. Would be a waste to just get rid of it and get new one, only 2 years old

There's a gazillion posts on line about peeps experiencing this black screen and the recurring work-around seems to be to hard reset it for 30 seconds without any power into it. I've tried that to no avail. It won't start-up at all today, it got to the logo yesterday and could go into Boot Menus but can't do anything with it now.

Can't get into Safe Mode or any Mode to do anything in there. Some seem to be able to get into Task Manager and enter Explorer that way through Ctrl, Alt and Del but that does nothing for me. :/ Are ya supposed to be holding the 3 buttons altogether I wonder or is it Ctrl and Alt together then Delete?! Not sure myself I might try it both ways.

I've just seen someone get their's back by re-setting the Monitor, so I must see if there's a F-key for the Monitor and see does that do anything.....

Such a big shame that it's such a commonplace issue and could be something so easy but may still have to end up paying 80quid or whatever to get someone to fix it now. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Its ok I put Ubuntu on usb and booted with that, then installed onto the spare hard drive I had. Seems to be working fine for what I need it to do.

• Advertisement

What's Ubuntu? I was gonna put an anti-malware prog onto a stick yesterday and see would that do anything in case it was a Virus preventing it from starting up, but shure I can't even get into anything to open up the bloody Memory Stick to run the mal prog. :rolleyes: such a fricking nuisance. Was gonna try put it onto a Disc then and see could I get the Disc to open automatically and run it that way but more problems, but the process of burning seems to be a complex complicated mission impossible.... :rolleyes: Would be handy if could just hit the Burn button and contents would go onto Disc, but no no no, that would be far too easy, it's much better to make things more awkward and confusing and hard-to-understand by lumping in a load of options when all I want to do is one thing, burn the Disc.

Anyway glad you got yours sorted boiled eggs. :)

Advertisement