Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You pick the IRUPA Player of the Year

• 23-04-2013 12:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Leinster prop Cian Healy, Munster back Simon Zebo and Ulster number eight Nick Williams have been nominated by the Irish Rugby Union Players’ Association, (Irupa) for the Player of the Year award.

Who deserves it in your opinion?

Who should win the award? 123 votes

Cian Healy
    0% 0 votes
    Simon Zebo
    39% 49 votes
    Nick Williams
    44% 55 votes
    Other
    15% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd probably have given it to Madigan or POM. But of the three probably Williams just edging Healy because I've seen more of Ulster than Leinster over the course of the year and Williams is so destructive. Great comeback to Irish rugby.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The incredible hulk hasn't been the same post-injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think its a bit of an odd selection myself, though I guess no one has really stood out massively in a poor enough year for Irish rugby. I think Healy is the best player on that list, but for sheer impact I'm tempted to go for Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Zebo of those 3.

Bit of an odd list though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Madigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I pick Madigan but as he isn't there I'll go with Zebo because I like his flair. Cian Healy could contend for this award annually because his standards just don't seem to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Healy for his consistent excellence more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well, Jared Payne has clearly been sleeping with the wife of someone in the IRUPA. Only explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'd have gone for Payne myself, there's no real stand out candidates otherwise, out of the 3 I'd go with Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 badnewsbear

Probably would have gone Pom or Sean o brien but Healy from this list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Think its a bit of an odd selection myself, though I guess no one has really stood out massively in a poor enough year for Irish rugby. I think Healy is the best player on that list, but for sheer impact I'm tempted to go for Williams.

Williams has missed a third of the season with injury and still has had 7 or 8 motms that he fully deserved. I don't think he has fully recovered from that knee problem...(was that the injury that fecked him over at Munster?>) Considering how many Ulster fans - not me - wrote him off before he pulled on a shirt - (see Zane Kirchner), he has been a revelation. He isn't the best No. 8 ever to play for Ulster but he is feckin' great with the ball in hand..... he entertains and is effective - mostly.

I don't think Healy has had a great season by his standards. He has looked very off colour in the last few games especially. (He needs a shoulder op I think.) Even Ulster loosehead Ricki Lutton in his first game as a tight head wasn't exactly stuffed out of sight. When Archer looks good against someone usually as good as Cian, there is something amiss...albeit Archer, while he has always been very good in the loose but a marshmallow in the scrum, seems to have added a good level of aggression in the scrummaging stakes and is beginning - maybe - to get up to speed.

Zebo is Zebo. Brilliant, eye catching player. Other wingers have been just as effective - or more so - this year though. The unfashionable Andrew Trimble for example. I don't think his back flick - while absolutely fantastic is enough reason alone to pick him. He is the most exciting player for a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Strange shortlist! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

Zebo for me he has star quality.

Healy is a fine player but dont think he has quite hit the heights of last season. I think the likes of Ryan, Murray, Henderson, Marshall, Gilroy, Madigan, SOB, Jackson, Sexton, Strauss, POM, Couglan, McCarthy and Marmion have all had good seasons but I think the lack of Ireland success plus not a stellar HC year has affected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Cian Healy because LEEIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNSTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

shuffol wrote: »
    I'd have gone for Payne myself, there's no real stand out candidates otherwise, out of the 3 I'd go with Healy.

Payne's injury probably stopped him going up for the award, then again Williams has missed periods of the season as well. To be honest if it is one nomination per province then I'd have gone with Trimble.

Zebo for the main award for me, just because of the excitement he brings to the game as well as the fact he's played well also.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i wouldnt have had any of those three as best players for their clubs all season.....

Who comes up with the nominations? The players? Jonny Sexton? Some IRUPA committee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

i dont know but they are odd.
    Madigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

POM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A surprising shortlist. Healy has had an average year by his own standards, not even Leinster's best player.

I know this is a players thing but I think if you were selecting from the provinces' best and most consistent performers you would pick from

Ian Madigan
    Chris Henry/Craig Gilroy
    Peter O'Mahony
    Mike McCarthy/Robbie Henshaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Why does Irish rugby continuously give two fingers to Andrew Trimble.

Top Irish scorer in the Magners League this year, but this apparently is not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Top Irish scorer in the Magners League this year, but this apparently is not relevant.

He's been tried time and again at international level but he's a bit of a paddy Wallace; can look great at Rabo and even HEC level, but can't seem to replicate that standard when he moves up to international games.

I hardly think his own work union is giving him the two fingers

Trimble was good this year but Gilroy, Zebo and Fitz were better choices. I'm a big Trimble fan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A surprising shortlist. Healy has had an average year by his own standards, not even Leinster's best player.

I know this is a players thing but I think if you were selecting from the provinces' best and most consistent performers you would pick from

Ian Madigan
    Chris Henry/Craig Gilroy
    Peter O'Mahony
    Mike McCarthy/Robbie Henshaw

McCarthy has been nowhere near the best or most consistent player for Connacht all season. Ireland and Leinster distractions have seen to that. Willie Faloon would probably be the one you're looking for.

its_phil wrote: »

Trimble was good this year but Gilroy, Zebo and Fitz were better choices. I'm a big Trimble fan too.

Trimble has been Ulster's best player this season. Don't just take my word for it go check out the Ulster MB and check out the player of the season thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Zebo for me, and not just for the heel. He's been fantastic all season

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Trimble is probably the in-form Irish winger and has been all season.

bilston wrote: »
    Trimble has been Ulster's best player this season. Don't just take my word for it go check out the Ulster MB and check out the player of the season thread.

I never said he wasn't Ulsters player of the year, albeit Williams has been excellent, and I know Trimble has been excellent this year.

But for this 6N's the players picked ahead of him were probably correct. The likes of Zebo, Gilroy and even Fitz were suppose to be a breath of fresh air. I'd have had no qualms with Trimble but I still would have liked to of seen those guys given a chance too.

Like I said I'm a big Trimble fan. A very honest player who is very consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Can't really understand how Healy is nominated for this. Don't think he's had a great season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Zebo for me others would be Madigan, Henderson and Marshall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Went for Zebo of the three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Better choices because you like them more as players? Or better choices because they played better this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Good to see Williams in there, you'd just wonder why he didn't perform when at Munster. Well done Ulster on a good signing.

Better choices because you like them more as players? Or better choices because they played better this year?

Well Zebo was playing better than Trimble up until then IMO, Gilroy had taken like a duck to water at international level in the AI's it would have been harsh and Fitzgerald looked very dangerous in the previous weeks.

And I don't think their selections were unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rightwing wrote: »
    Good to see Williams in there, you'd just wonder why he didn't perform when at Munster. Well done Ulster on a good signing.

Different game plan, didn't play to his strengths and he was injured. Munster played him a fair bit at flanker. He's not a workhorse designed to go through phase play and hit rucks. You want him taking first phase ball in one on one situations as he has done for Ulster and ploughing over the gain line. It never made any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Buer wrote: »
    Different game plan, didn't play to his strengths and he was injured. Munster played him a fair bit at flanker. He's not a workhorse designed to go through phase play and hit rucks. You want him taking first phase ball in one on one situations as he has done for Ulster and ploughing over the gain line. It never made any sense.

Well put. He wasn't the only one, likes of Mafi completely lost form too. But good luck to him, always a good sign of a player when they can bounce back.

I never said he wasn't Ulsters player of the year, albeit Williams has been excellent, and I know Trimble has been excellent this year.

But for this 6N's the players picked ahead of him were probably correct. The likes of Zebo, Gilroy and even Fitz were suppose to be a breath of fresh air. I'd have had no qualms with Trimble but I still would have liked to of seen those guys given a chance too.

Like I said I'm a big Trimble fan. A very honest player who is very consistent.

I'm not disagreeing about Ireland, Zebo in particular deserves to be there and for whatever reason Gilroy seems to be more likely to tear it up at test level than Trimble and yet maybe the reverse is true at provincial level. Given Nick Williams is on the list I assumed this award wasn't just restricted to internationals which is why I'd put Trimble's name forward. I'm not saying he should win it, I would go for Zebo myself, but he has been one of the most consistently good players in Ireland all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Think some people are forgetting huge chunks of this past season.

For me it's Healy.

Well Zebo was playing better than Trimble up until then IMO, Gilroy had taken like a duck to water at international level in the AI's it would have been harsh and Fitzgerald looked very dangerous in the previous weeks.

And I don't think their selections were unjustified.

Fitz has played 5 games this year. Hardly player of the season stuff. Even looking at their relative history shows Trimble to be a more prolific try scorer. Given the fact that for a lot of his career he was playing in an inferior back line to Fitz it says a lot about Trimble. 52 tries in 159 games to Fitz's 26 tries in 108. Chuck in the Irish mix and it's even more apparent. Trimble 49 games 11 tries, Fitz 26 games 2 tries. Trimble isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread but he is a lot better than he is often given credit for. I would certainly say that the selection of Fitz over Trimble this year was totally unjustified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Think some people are forgetting huge chunks of this past season.

For me it's Healy.

You cant bet on yourself Cian. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Trimble on the list at least.... anyone with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that this list is shockingly bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Great to see Williams in there. Every time I have seen him play he has been outstanding. Skillful, powerful, destructive. When he's fit he is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Grimebox wrote: »
    I think the one thing we can all agree on is that this list is shockingly bad

Henderson has had a cracker year too.

Yes - he deserves his place - he has been consistently good all season which is really what this award should be for. Chris Henry was superb up until his injury too.

They should change the name of the award to the 'Most Eye Catching Irish Rugby Player Of The Year Award,' rather than the actual one who has been the very best player. How for example would Zebo look if other players didn't bust their balls to give him the ball? Kearney was European Player of the year on the basis of his sensational high ball work. If they analysed the rest of his game - e.g.. he makes ground but never passes the feckin' ball to better placed team mates - I doubt he would have been at the very top of the list. SOB got it for his line bursting runs among other things. The players at the coal face, the piano shifters, usually never really get a look in compared to the ballerinas....not that I would call Sean a ballerina.:D

Looking at the most improved players this season has been in more interesting in many ways. We know Zebo and Gilroy are great. If they were unavailable we have plenty of guys to take their places. Bowe, Fitz, Trimble, LOD. to name but a few. One of the most important players in the Island in this regard is Fergus McFadden. Played endlessly out of position but he is fearless and very effective no matter where he plays. Improving or returning players like Michael Allen, Robbie Diack, Sherry, McGrath, Ryan etc make the future a little less uncertain. Even the much maligned (by me anyway) Archer has looked almost o.k. recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jacothelad wrote: »
    They should change the name of the award to the 'Most Eye Catching Irish Rugby Player Of The Year Award,' rather than the actual one who has been the very best player. How for example would Zebo look if other players didn't bust their balls to give him the ball? Kearney was European Player of the year on the basis of his sensational high ball work. If they analysed the rest of his game - e.g.. he makes ground but never passes the feckin' ball to better placed team mates - I doubt he would have been at the very top of the list. SOB got it for his line bursting runs among other things. The players at the coal face, the piano shifters, usually never really get a look in compared to the ballerinas....not that I would call Sean a ballerina.:D

Looking at the most improved players this season has been in more interesting in many ways. We know Zebo and Gilroy are great. If they were unavailable we have plenty of guys to take their places. Bowe, Fitz, Trimble, LOD. to name but a few. One of the most important players in the Island in this regard is Fergus McFadden. Played endlessly out of position but he is fearless and very effective no matter where he plays. Improving or returning players like Michael Allen, Robbie Diack, Sherry, McGrath, Ryan etc make the future a little less uncertain. Even the much maligned (by me anyway) Archer has looked almost o.k. recently.

I'm sorry but you can't make a case for Niall O'Connor no matter how you try to spin it jaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

jacothelad wrote: »

Looking at the most improved players this season has been in many ways more interesting in many ways. We know Zebo and Gilroy are great. If they were unavailable we have plenty of guys to take their places. Bowe, Fitz, Trimble, LOD. One of the most important players in the Island in this regard is Fergus McFadden. Played endlessly out of position but he is fearless and very effective no matter where he plays. Improving or returning players like Robbie Diack, Sherry, Ryan make the future a little less uncertain. Even the much maligned (by me anyway) Archer has looked almost o.k. recently.

I'd agree with your logic here jaco but I don't agree with the Kearney/SOB comments. SOB had a great tournament, not just his rampaging runs, but he was an absolute divil on the deck and his link play was outstanding. His offload was more dangerous than his carrying! Plus he wasn't shy of the dirty work, or piano shifting if you will, and his clear out rate was outstanding. Whenever he was away with Ireland Leinster's poll protection went to muck. Kearney also had a huge hand in rectifying our strike running which we were missing the year before. Aside from his high-ball work he was imperious in breaking the tackle and actually managed to pass the ball a lot in that season! That DG in Clermont is probably a great example of how his presence helped his team win a back-to-back H-Cup.

But I agree with the rest. For me, there's a host of Ulster players that should be on that list, and I'm not sure if Williams should be on it. Someone like Diack who gets through a massive amount of work should be up there. Or Payne, who's literally been a revelation to the Ulster backline. Or indeed Trimble, who's added a senior presence on the team and has kept the score board ticking in multples of 5.

.ak wrote: »
    That DG in Clermont is probably a great example of how his presence helped his team win a back-to-back H-Cup.

That was one of the great performances by a Full back in the history of the HC, tremendous example of all round skills in kicking, running, catching and positional play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

.ak wrote: »
    I'd agree with your logic here jaco but I don't agree with the Kearney/SOB comments. SOB had a great tournament, not just his rampaging runs, but he was an absolute divil on the deck and his link play was outstanding. His offload was more dangerous than his carrying! Plus he wasn't shy of the dirty work, or piano shifting if you will, and his clear out rate was outstanding. Whenever he was away with Ireland Leinster's poll protection went to muck. Kearney also had a huge hand in rectifying our strike running which we were missing the year before. Aside from his high-ball work he was imperious in breaking the tackle and actually managed to pass the ball a lot in that season! That DG in Clermont is probably a great example of how his presence helped his team win a back-to-back H-Cup.

But I agree with the rest. For me, there's a host of Ulster players that should be on that list, and I'm not sure if Williams should be on it. Someone like Diack who gets through a massive amount of work should be up there. Or Payne, who's literally been a revelation to the Ulster backline. Or indeed Trimble, who's added a senior presence on the team and has kept the score board ticking in multples of 5.

Plus RK was a major part of that crucial Healy try in the SF

• Advertisement
Advertisement