Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You pick the IRUPA Player of the Year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Nick Williams won

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BIG. NICK. WILLIAMS.

Munster fans must be bewildered, flop at Munster to a hero in Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    BIG. NICK. WILLIAMS.

I've felt "slightly bitter" at least 10 times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well done to the big man, or Fat Nick Williams as legions of underwhelmed Ulster fans monikered him when he signed. What started as a slightly insulting nickname is now a term of endearment or at least the abbreviated version of FNW is.

Word to Leinster fans, FNW's story is a cautionary tale as to why you shouldn't be writing of Zane Kirchner just yet!

Anyway well done to the out of control head bobbing hulk machine and I hope we see some more psycho head bobbing over the next three weeks!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've felt "slightly bitter" at least 10 times this season.

The incredible hulk in full flight is a joy to behold, a sight that should be appreciated by all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

awec wrote: »
    BIG. NICK. WILLIAMS.

He just couldn't stay fit when he was with
    Munster. He looked like a good player when he available but that wasn't very often. In fairness he had a good season last year in Italy as well.

Took him about 5 months to change a branded nickname of Fat Nick to Big Nick which has become the Incredible Hulk over the course of the season. That in itself is an achievement!

Deserves it imo, he's not the most technical rugby player, but he's great to watch with ball in hand steamrolling through groups of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

He just couldn't stay fit when he was with
    Munster. He looked like a good player when he available but that wasn't very often. In fairness he had a good season last year in Italy as well.

I think the issue was that he didn't try to stay fit at Munster. He was always talented and had some great games for Munster against lesser opposition though. Anscombe obviously knows how to get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I criticised him during the season and I was wrong. He's not just a one dimensional bosher, He's a three dimensional bosher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Although fitness was certainly an issue at Munster, he did have a significant injury free spell whilst there in his second season for a few months. As big an issue was that Munster just didn't know how to tailor the game plan to his skills (nor should they have, I don't think he was a good fit for them overall). They played a hard and fast rucking game to get them over the gain line and punch holes through the centres or pin teams back through their half backs. All of their pack were incredibly fit and filled a specific function. Munster played him as a flanker as much as they did at 8 which didn't suit him at all and completely diminished his abilities. He was never someone that's going to hit rucks all day and go through phase play.

He's a fantastic carrier and distributor at 8. Give him the ball in one on one situations or meeting stationary defenders off the back of the scrum and there's only ever one winner. Delighted to see him get the recognition he deserves and put to bed some snide comments that have followed him around from sections of all corners of the island.

I think the issue was that he didn't try to stay fit at Munster. He was always talented and had some great games for Munster against lesser opposition though. Anscombe obviously knows how to get the best out of him.

How on earth do you feel able to make this claim?

Did you go to training sessions?

No idea how you could draw that conclusion without actually spending an awful lot of time with the guy.

Advertisement