Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can we stop Ireland from being a victim of terrorism?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RUN TO THE HILLS!

Is there a bus...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Rubeter wrote: »
    Terrorism is a tactic, "An action or strategy carefully planned to achieve a specific end", the specific end does not have to be political in order to call the tactic used to achieve it terrorism.

But there's always ideaology behind it. It's not just normal crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

But there's always ideaology behind it. It's not just normal crime.
    Among others, racial, religious, political and so on, ideologys.
    What about someone who wants to cause mayhem for the sheer "fun" of it and uses terrorism as the tool, is that terrorism? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Why bother putting chips in people when almost everyone already carries a personal tracking device with them ?

I like putting chips inside myself. Curry chips in particular ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

To be honest we don't have a Government that fabricates "Terrorism" through false flag attacks and scare mongering in order to promote a domestic and foreign policy agenda so I think we are good for now.

Then again financial terrorism is a form of "terrorism" so maybe we're not in the clear as much as I would like to think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wouldn't worry too much about saving our children from terrorism, it's down near the bottom of the list below falling out of bed and sticking forks into sockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

We simply invite jihadists back for 'The Gathering' & tell 'em we've traced their lineage to the arsehole of Co. Roscommon.

Present them with a certificate authenticating the fact and send 'em on their way with a tear in their eye, a song in their hearts and a promise to remember the old country.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Round up all known Real Continuity gombeens and send them on an extended holiday to Cuba, Guantanamo Bay, and we'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

the answer is preemptive strikes against Poland...hit their stock piles of weapons of mass destruction and swan populations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Rubeter wrote: »
    What about someone who wants to cause mayhem for the sheer "fun" of it and uses terrorism as the tool, is that terrorism? ;)
    I've never heard of that happening in reality, only in the movies. It takes a bit of planning, effort and expense to be a terrorist, it's not something you do on a free weekend ...

Ireland itself, today, is probably safe from terrorism, for one simple reason: there's nothing here to justify the bother. If the Irish Stock Exchange fell by 40% ... who'd notice? :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

By having nothing worth attacking... And by being "sound"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Ban i'Kea.

How many EU countries have troops in Afganistan and how many do they have there?
    I know Denmark has troops there and they already p*ssed off the Muslims with that cartoon, yet not a solitary attack on Danish soil...

I think Ireland is very, very small fry to Al Queda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We're definitely top of the target list.

We're definitely top of the target list.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How so?

Sorry, me sar chasm was vast and did not travel across the internet well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because you can leave that at home or attach it to a cat to throw off the authorities. Unless we bring into law that a person must carry a smartphone with them at all times.
    And then you stand out like a sore thumb when the CCTV cameras can't match you to a phone. And it's no use hiding your face unless you can also disguise you body language. Even then your identity could be inferred if you are with known associates who have phones.

You'd have to leave all your near field credit cards at home or in a foil lined wallet (actually probably a ferromagnetic lined wallet) if you were going to be that paranoid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How can we stop Ireland from being a victim of terrorism?

http://i.imgur.com/JvxOdZ2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

The aim of terrorism is to instill fear in people about the safety and security they have here and basically f*ck the country up. I think FF 5 years ago and Shatter now have done a pretty good job of that.

ManMade wrote: »
    The aim of terrorism is to instill fear in people about the safety and security they have here and basically f*ck the country up. I think FF 5 years ago and Shatter now have done a pretty good job of that.
    LOL

It's the governments and media that are spreading the FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt). Look at the security theatre at airports.

One failed shoe bomber and you have to take off your footwear at airports, and in the meantime the gun laws haven't changed despite all the massacres.

For a good action movie you need a baddie. North Korea and various separatist groups are currently filling the role.

There is no moral dimension, only a useful irregular verb, as Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister explained “I am a freedom fighter, you are a guerilla, he is a terrorist”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

We have had enough bombings,shootings and murders to last a millennium on this Island,if any outside group attacks the citizens of this country the backlash would be horrendous

except when we get bombed by financial terrorists!! we pay those greedy corrupted b4stards back every single cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Stock up on iodine tablets and cheese, it'll be one we can tell our grandkids about.

My iodine tablets are out of date. Is that a problem or a worry?:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

its the drug gangs that are killing people

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

Anyone who thinks Ireland is immune to terrorist attacks is delusional. OP have you ever heard the story of Jihad Jane? She was arrested by Gardaí in Waterford in 2010, along with seven other Islamic terrorists, for plotting the assassination of critics to Islam.

Similar story in the UK the other day. A white, British Muslim convert was arrested for plotting to kill British civilians. I deliberately chose two stories where the jihadists were white. I want to stress that this is not a race issue. It's a cultural one, and Islam is a barbaric religion that encourages its followers to kill infidels. The media tried to tone down the fact that the Boston bombers were Muslim. Beforehand, they were tripping over themselves to point the finger at right-wing extremists. It cannot be denied. The greatest terrorist threat to the West at the moment is Islam. Anyone who disagrees better come up with figures or links to prove otherwise because I'm not listening to emotional, hand-wringing liberal rhetoric.

Neither of them had any ilk with Ireland though. Vilks and the UK have already been targeted.

No one said Ireland is immune to terrorism because all terrorists are brown.

Advertisement