Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should I say?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Firstly I apologise I am typing this on my phone.

I have been sick from work 3 weeks my doctor has been certing me out as "unwell', i have a long term illness when applying for the job they asked "have you a disability" i said yes and wrote " i will happily discuss further on interview if nes..". Long story short they didnt ask i didnt tell now i am sick because if that illness and work wants a chin wag as to why I am sick. Doc said i dont need to tell them but now they have made an appointment for me to meet my manager and discuss my sick period and my illness.

What do i say in the meeting? I dont want to come across stubborn or iffy. But my illness is very private and i dont want it to get public at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well first and foremost when you attend the meeting make it very clear that your illness is not to be discussed outside the room, any meeting like this should be confidential however I know only too well how often tongues will wag!

Secondly, explain that you mentioned your disability in your application but you weren't questioned any further - this seems like a HR oversight but they may ask you why you didn't bring it up yourself. Again go back to how you are private about this, but would have talked about it if asked at the time.

Then just be honest, tell them you are sick and have been signed off for work - don't apologise, although do say you understand how this can make things difficult for them and ask if there is anything you can do.

Advertisement