Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadstone Quarry Kinsealy issue

Options
  • 23-04-2013 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

I live within 1KM of this Quarry in a relatively new build development (no, not the troubled one!) and occasionally have to endure the mini earthquakes that rock the area as a result.

Following the most recent one I noticed an enormous crack on a window pane. I only noticed it the next day however I know it was not there the day before the blast as I had cleaned the windows.

Sooooooo.......what do I do now? Iv no doubt the crack is a result of the blast,I was in the house when it happened.

Should I report it? Or do I just go straight to my home insurer?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I'd contact the quarry and alert them to the issue. Personally I'd try and find a way to fund a structural engineer & a survey over time on the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

We've been living close to the quarry since 94 and we have had issues with them periodically.

The amount of explosions has dropped on a massive scale in the past 5-6 years. They used to have explosions 5 times a week at one point, its now down to one every couple of months. At one point Fingal Co. Council had a siesmograph installed in our house as well as dust and noise monitors. We have had never had issues with damaged windows. We've had issues with them polluting a stream that runs past our property though.

I'd advise that you contact the quarry as well as the council and see what the say. With the river issue they were immediatley not interested until we got the council out. The council shut them down until they did something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mope_head

Hi Tony,
    I am experiencing a similar problem with vibration coming from the same mine. I contacted Fingal and also the Gardai in malahide. Both told me I am the first person to have made a complaint. I would love to discuss how this problem was dealt with by yourself. Please let me know if you are still active here so we can discuss.
    Thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I have to say I'm curious as to why you went to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mope_head

peteb2 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm curious as to why you went to the Gardai?

I didn't initially consider it but decided to for a few reasons:

Firstly because the use of explosives is monitored by the Gardai.

Secondly because you don't hear the explosion from the mine just the noise of your house shaking. I thought a vehicle had crashed into my house the first time this happened. I also checked the news for minor earthquakes or plane crashes. (Its that bad) So the disturbance might have been reported in different forms. I wanted to see if anyone else in the area had reported something similar.

Thirdly, because it is damaging my property and I wanted to report it.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

How long is the quarry there? How long are you there? Nuisance is probably excluded by statute or given the fact its been there so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

We have a similar issue - huge crack in one of the window panes, just wondering has anyone had any recourse with the quarry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 westernw

Heard sirens and felt shakes through the whole house several times in Drynam area. Decided to search for it and found about Roadstone, then this thread is high in google search too. Never thought the quarry is such a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

tony3953 wrote: »
    Hello,

I live within 1KM of this Quarry in a relatively new build development (no, not the troubled one!) and occasionally have to endure the mini earthquakes that rock the area as a result.

Following the most recent one I noticed an enormous crack on a window pane. I only noticed it the next day however I know it was not there the day before the blast as I had cleaned the windows.

Sooooooo.......what do I do now? Iv no doubt the crack is a result of the blast,I was in the house when it happened.

Should I report it? Or do I just go straight to my home insurer?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Any update on this?

I would be making a serious issue of this. No matter how long the quarry is there and what statue there is you are entitled to live safely in your home and if they are responsible for the damage they should be made pay.

Mope_head I would ask Fingal for a copy of the results of the survey they done on SEANMCC house. But they might not want the hassle.

There are always journalists who would love to do a piece on something like this.

Advertisement