Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging on the Streets of Limerick City

Options
  • 23-04-2013 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I was in town the other day and couldn't help notice the amount of people that are begging on our streets. On O'Connell St alone, their were 4 lads,starting from Bank of Ireland, spread out, all the way up to AIB Bank. I coudnt help notice a large guy was talking to each of them. I wonder are they running so kind of begging ring?

Can anything be done to stop this? I was told before by a few people that we shouldn't be giving money to these guys as all it does it feeds their drug problem in most cases

Couldn't help feeling sorry for the younger guy :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

If the story below from the Irish Independent is true, then it looks like it's the typical Irish response to an Irish problem.

Seems like the street beggars are here to stay - with the blessing of our laws.

"High Court ruling helps put beggars back on our streets"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/high-court-ruling-helps-put-beggars-back-on-our-streets-29210883.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The problem I think is realising who the genuine cases are that need help and the ones that are just out to make a few quid in some kind of an organised begging group.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

99% of them are either professional beggars or junkies/alcoholics.

Don't give any of them a cent.

Jofspring wrote: »
    The problem I think is realising who the genuine cases are that need help and the ones that are just out to make a few quid in some kind of an organised begging group.

The thing is, even if people are genuinely totally impoverished, begging in the streets is not the way to seek help. Even in these straitened times, there are organisations like St. Vincent de Paul who can give some assistance and there are services which can advise etc.

Ireland is not Calcutta, no matter how hard the times are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A lot of organised begging going on.There is a group that turn up in the Greenpark centre for a couple of hours one day a week that are very organised.

They consist of three women and two men. The two men and one of the women generally sit in a car in the car park, but when one of the two women roaming the car park/front of stores starts following a person they get out and shadow them or join with the woman asking for money. They can be quite intimidating to an elderly person, especially an elderly person going to one of the shops on their own, as they keep pecking away at their targets and walk with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Kess73 wrote: »
    A lot of organised begging going on.There is a group that turn up in the Greenpark centre for a couple of hours one day a week that are very organised.

They consist of three women and two men. The two men and one of the women generally sit in a car in the car park, but when one of the two women roaming the car park/front of stores starts following a person they get out and shadow them or join with the woman asking for money. They can be quite intimidating to an elderly person, especially an elderly person going to one of the shops on their own, as they keep pecking away at their targets and walk with them.

I haven't seen that and I shop there almost every day but I have seen one guy who has recently taken to standing outside Spar giving it the old " any change bud " . That kinda thing you are talking about would really annoy me though .

jonski wrote: »
    I haven't seen that and I shop there almost every day but I have seen one guy who has recently taken to standing outside Spar giving it the old " any change bud " . That kinda thing you are talking about would really annoy me though .

That guy is a local of sorts. Begs outside the Spar then heads into the Off Licence when he gets enough change. He also pops up outside the Post Office on Henry street on pension and Dole days.

The group I am talking about are five non nationals and there are only there for a few hours one day a week at most , and they have a car (dark coloured audi) with them.

Would be somewhat of a regular in that centre as my mother lives on the main road, and my gf lives in BCG.Would stop this group there at least once a fortnight and my mother and gf have spotted them more often than I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I had one young Irish woman approach me a few weeks ago, she was in her early 20s. She asked for change and I said I couldn't help her but I could buy her a sandwich and hot drink, she said no she was trying to get money together for a hostel, I told her I could ring the womens hostel and sort that out for her but she said no and walked on.

I never give money to beggars, or chuggars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I had one young Irish woman approach me a few weeks ago, she was in her early 20s. She asked for change and I said I couldn't help her but I could buy her a sandwich and hot drink, she said no she was trying to get money together for a hostel, I told her I could ring the womens hostel and sort that out for her but she said no and walked on.

I know the girl. No intention of spending that money on a hostel. Off to the offy with her two male mates.

Saw a woman giving 20 euro to one of them recently becaue he was a "poor misfortune". He went straight to the offlicence. Breaks my heart.

Those feckers do my head in. At some point I am going to be the reason why some chuggar needs to get a clipboard removed from their rectum.

• Advertisement

Those feckers do my head in. At some point I am going to be the reason why some chuggar needs to get a clipboard removed from their rectum.

A clipboardectomy? I empathise with your sentiments Kess73 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

My general response to them is to point at my headphones and say "I wear these to ignore you"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Would be somewhat of a regular in that centre as my mother lives on the main road, and my gf lives in BCG.Would stop this group there at least once a fortnight and my mother and gf have spotted them more often than I.

LIAR ! , I am looking out all over the town for your fancy cars I would have noticed them there .

I would have seen those non nationals there before but I had not seen them in a good while .

jonski wrote: »
    LIAR ! , I am looking out all over the town for your fancy cars I would have noticed them there .

I would have seen those non nationals there before but I had not seen them in a good while .

I can safely say that I have never parked the SS or the mustang in the Greenpark centre. :P I either walk there from my mother's gaff or my GF's gaff or if I drive from my own place I use my day to day/work car.

Last time I saw the bunch of beggers I am talking about was last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

I always give them money. One time I was walking past a foreign man and he asked me could I buy him a sandwich, it was the first time somebody asked me this instead of change so I brought him to Chicken hut and got him a snack box and gave him the rest of the money! I always see it as I am in a position to help them and who am I to refuse them as I know what it's like to sleep rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

The Sky wrote: »
    I always give them money. One time I was walking past a foreign man and he asked me could I buy him a sandwich, it was the first time somebody asked me this instead of change so I brought him to Chicken hut and got him a snack box and gave him the rest of the money! I always see it as I am in a position to help them and who am I to refuse them as I know what it's like to sleep rough.

Fair play to you Sky, but would you not think it would be better to give that money to lets say, St Vincent De Paul, or another local charity?

I am sure these guys in need can go to these type of organizations for help? (maybe I am wrong in this)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

tippman1 wrote: »
    If the story below from the Irish Independent is true, then it looks like it's the typical Irish response to an Irish problem.

Seems like the street beggars are here to stay - with the blessing of our laws.

"High Court ruling helps put beggars back on our streets"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/high-court-ruling-helps-put-beggars-back-on-our-streets-29210883.html

That's absolutely insane and non sensical. Surely the burden should be on the beggar to prove that he/she does have a licence/permit to beg, and not the other way around. Only in Ireland. It seems like the criminals are making the laws.

Having worked in an offie in the city centre for a good few years, I know that all those scumbags begging on O'Connell St spend nearly all that money on drink. We had to bar a good few of them for stealing. Only incredibly stupid or naive people give these sorts change. They'd be better off throwing it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

There's a certain blonde girl I always see around town and Castletroy. Every time it's a different story. Today her husband tried to kill her and she was looking for money for a bus to cork. Last day I was at the bus stop she wanted a sup off my can of coke! Dafuq.
    I constantly see her off her face on heroin. Probably a good thing, of she wasn't she'd probably recognise me every time she tapped me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I won't give money to a begger like others I would offer to buy them food or if it is a bad winter night and I am in town I would usually bring some extra scarfs and gloves and give them those

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    There's a certain blonde girl I always see around town and Castletroy. Every time it's a different story. Today her husband tried to kill her and she was looking for money for a bus to cork. Last day I was at the bus stop she wanted a sup off my can of coke! Dafuq.
    I constantly see her off her face on heroin. Probably a good thing, of she wasn't she'd probably recognise me every time she tapped me!

I would think that's this lovely individual

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/limerick-mother-of-two-is-jailed-for-spate-of-theft-offences-1-3796212

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

grenache wrote: »

First person to enter my head too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

djsim101 wrote: »
    Fair play to you Sky, but would you not think it would be better to give that money to lets say, St Vincent De Paul, or another local charity?

I am sure these guys in need can go to these type of organizations for help? (maybe I am wrong in this)
    I'm not sure that there is a lot of help for homeless people in Limerick, I really don't know tbh. I remember seeing a programme last year about some ladies who were providing meals to the homeless in Limerick. They didn't have much cash to provide the service either.

grenache wrote: »

Had to laugh at this quote from that article.
    “She is very deserving of a chance,” said Mr Devane

Deserves a chance now after racking up almost 100 convictions. Surely she has had over 90 chances already? Cannot understand the logic of a career criminal, and any with that many convictions is exactly that, not being put in prison for a long time when caught and convicted. Getting suspended sentences of sentences that last months rather than years are useless in deterring crime.

Hell even if a five or more year sentence did not change the person's outlook, at least it would be five years with one less criminal on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Solicitor John Devane said his client was a mother of two young children who has a drug problem

You would think being a mother of 2 children would motivate her to give up the crime and the drugs.

Also these concurrent sentences are nuts. If you are going to commit one theft you may as well commit several as the consequences will most likely be the same anyway. No wonder there are serial offenders on the streets.

Deserves a chance now after racking up almost 100 convictions. Surely she has had over 90 chances already? Cannot understand the logic of a career criminal, and any with that many convictions is exactly that, not being put in prison for a long time when caught and convicted. Getting suspended sentences of sentences that last months rather than years are useless in deterring crime.

Ah but sure she had a harsh upbringing! :rolleyes:

It has been my misfortune to have several run-ins with her through my job. Career criminal is a nice way of describing her, she's much worse than that. The most cunningly evil person I've laid eyes on. The court had her barred from the city centre, not that it made any difference. She was in there every day. The laws in this country are comical.

Only Devane would say she was worthy of another chance. I've come across him too. Lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

djsim101 wrote: »
    Can anything be done to stop this? I was told before by a few people that we shouldn't be giving money to these guys as all it does it feeds their drug problem in most cases

Couldn't help feeling sorry for the younger guy :(

For myself, I don't care what panhandlers spend the money on, whether it's food, a place to stay for the night, or drugs. If I have change I can spare, I give it or don't, and it's up to them what they spend it on. If someone has reached a point where she is begging on the street, I'm not going to begrudge her whatever brief moments of escape she chooses.

That said, when I was living in San Francisco there was a program that let people buy reduced-rate bus tokens and food tokens that panhandlers could use to get where they needed to be and to get something nutritious to eat at certain markets or restaurants. People who wanted to give, but didn't want to support drug addiction, could buy the tokens and keep them handy to give as they passed on the street.

Is this something we need here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Suspended coffees are a great concept - do any places do it in Limerick?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22267613?ocid=socialflow_facebook_newsmagazine

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Suspended coffees are a great concept - do any places do it in Limerick?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22267613?ocid=socialflow_facebook_newsmagazine

According to Focus Ireland's Facebook page, there are coffee shops around the country that do this, but none of them seem to be in Limerick.

Perfect opportunity for one of the coffee shop chains to get involved, don't you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

Great idea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hell even if a five or more year sentence did not change the person's outlook, at least it would be five years with one less criminal on the streets.

Is Mr. Devine for real? Perhaps he just has a social conscience or wishes to be nominated as Patron Saint for Hopeless cases.

Someone with 100 convictions? Who is paying for all this wasted time in court?:rolleyes::)

Advertisement