Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karting track in Kilkenny

Options
  • 23-04-2013 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

It hs been voiced on more than one occasion that Kilkenny city could well do with a Karting track, before reaching for the keyboard, yes Kiltorcan at Ballyhale is a superb track, well run, a credit to its owner(s).
    Equally the Grid in Carlow provides Karting facilities which are on a par with Kiltorcan and both deserve a visit from anyone interested in motor sport, after all did'nt Lewis Hamilton and the late Ayrton senna start from such humble beginings.
    But both of these venues are a fair distance from the city, Kilkenny city would make an ideal spot, Cillin Hill perhaps, or if we are gicing the boot to Tesco, the old mart site could be made into a track rather than the tip it is.
    Any more support for this?
    By the way Kiltorcan is near to Ballyhale and the Grid is in graigcullen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

How about a go carting track in Tesco:D............imagine flying around doing your shopping in a go cart id gladly do the shopping with the missus then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Equally the Grid in Carlow provides Karting facilities which are on a par with Kiltorcan and both deserve a visit from anyone interested in motor sport

The grid isn't anything like on a par with Kiltorcan.

Kiltorcan is one of the best tracks I've been on, the grid while entertaining is a small tight indoor track.

You might find it hard to get planning for a karting track in around town, they can be quite noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

no doubt you are correct we were taking from the entertainment point of view but for serious drivers yeah man probably no comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Isn't Kiltorcan a complete rip off? I remember them charging something like €30 for 20 minutes a few years back.

Expensive business karting, the Grid is similar in price, but well worth the cost if you are into karting etc, cars are even dearer.

• Advertisement

Isn't Kiltorcan a complete rip off? I remember them charging something like €30 for 20 minutes a few years back.

Similar price to any other place I've been tbh.

Insurance costs would be pretty high I'd imagine.

I remember going to the one in rosegreen before and they said they were putting new tyres on the karts ever 3/4 days or something like that so costs would be high.

Well Paul these things cost money to one they think rip off you and I might think the exact opposite, i believe you hit the nail on the head, insurance third party cover, servicing, wages gotta make a profit, I rate it well my son does, regards Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Isnt kiltorcan like 15 minutes outside kilkenny?
    20 at a strench?
    thats not far... I doubt karting tracks are doing great business these days so I doubt theres a need for another.
    But yes the old mart site would be good, even near the new mRt wouldnt be a bad place either.

$kilkenny wrote: »
    Isnt kiltorcan like 15 minutes outside kilkenny?
    20 at a strench?
    thats not far... I doubt karting tracks are doing great business these days so I doubt theres a need for another.
    But yes the old mart site would be good, even near the new mRt wouldnt be a bad place either.

25 minutes

I could not answer that as to how well Karting is doing,i know it's not but the number of horse boxes going about you would think the same thing. You get these things that buck the trend, also it is there for boy racers to actually be able to emulate their elder's without ending up dead.
    Karting is very well supervised, Carllow has a roller skate rink attached, it is also something else for the youngsters to get their teeth into.
    You think it could really be a model for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The main problem i'd imagine with these is Cost, we could do with another golf course though :D

Hi, you are right of course it is 28 euro for 30 minutes, both places charge about the same, Our lad reckons he is a future Lewis Hamilton and Lewis started the same way.
    Now Golf, we are not exactly bursting with courses in this part of the world, Callan, Carrick and Kilkenny is about the end of my knowledge, as to cost no idea, could not afford the cost of new balls, that tells you how I played, perhaps there are enough posters who want another course.

We have the lovely Mount Juliet ;)

out of my league.

Yea but it would bring money into the county and thats what we need

we do, bu if you look at the thread re tesco, it seems most are quite happy that money goes into the likes of Clonmel, Carlow and Waterford rather than have Tesco in Kilkenny, apparently it is okay having two Dunnes and Lidl and Aldi etc.
    Guess you can't please all the people all the time. Foxy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

we do, bu if you look at the thread re tesco, it seems most are quite happy that money goes into the likes of Clonmel, Carlow and Waterford rather than have Tesco in Kilkenny, apparently it is okay having two Dunnes and Lidl and Aldi etc.
    Guess you can't please all the people all the time. Foxy

How in the name of Jebus have you dragged Tesco into a thread on karting?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Captain Havoc, it was quite easy actually, autosport suggested we needed more Golf Courses and I had left out Mount juliet, to which I was reminded, but replied it was out of my league, the question of us, the people wanting more money to come into the county, then unfortunately that word slipped in, that by not having it we were in fact sending money to our neighbours as so many travelled to shop there.
    I was not implying we wanted it, I personally do not think we do, S28382 said he would go shopping with his wife if he could go round the store in a Go-Cart, no doubt many of us would feel the same way.
    Anyone who hasn't read all the posts and threads will consider I have completely lost it, but you my friend I am sure will know exactly what i am saying.
    On closing I do thank you for the support and help you give and sometimes mild rebukes which of course are justified, by the way it don't look a good day for cycling.
    Foxy

Now Golf, we are not exactly bursting with courses in this part of the world, Callan, Carrick and Kilkenny is about the end of my knowledge, as to cost no idea, could not afford the cost of new balls, that tells you how I played, perhaps there are enough posters who want another course.

Off topic but you have Mountain View in Ballyhale, Castlecomer, Gowran and the pocoke too. We are spoilt for Golf courses in KK.

Hi Paulkk, I hope Autosport is reading this, thanks, I remembered Mountain view of course near the track, played the one kilkenny it used to be a par3, just about my style. Thanks you might have seen Captain Havoc's comment about how the hell did i manage to get Tesco into Karting.
    See yer and regards Foxy

• Advertisement

PaulKK wrote: »
    Off topic but you have Mountain View in Ballyhale, Castlecomer, Gowran and the pocoke too. We are spoilt for Golf courses in KK.

Isn't there one in Callan too?

Isn't there one in Callan too?

Yea, but foxy had mentioned that and I quoted him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Anyone who hasn't read all the posts and threads will consider I have completely lost it,..........
    Foxy

no...??!!! surely not??? really??? I cant see how they could think that......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

How in the name of Jebus have you dragged Tesco into a thread on karting?

I'm waiting for the P.H. reference myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It could be feasible. You would imagine there would be enough stags and hens around to fill the slots on the weekend.

Think someone mentioned that they can be quite loud so the Hebron industrial estate would be an ideal location…5 minutes from the city centre and in a location where the noise would not annoy any residents. They could pick up midweek trade with offers to business for team building.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

ah here foxy,wil we build a go karting track,a tesco,an aldi and shur maybe a golf course in yer back garden.then u won't have to travel anywhere and u will stop starting threads then.

Premier Man, what a terrible ommision, you have not provided me with anywhere to land and park the plane, obviously you do not read Waterford airport on Boards.
    Now we have flybe there is no need to trek to Dublin or even Cork, hope you will find space on the Hebron for me, otherwise it could be the runway up in the kilkenny hills, not a lover of grass runways. This is Foxtrot Oscar X-ray signing off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

i always thought kilkenny could use a monorail tbh or an international airport.

Advertisement