Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulch or Dump

• 23-04-2013 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

hi Guys - looking on advise on these branches i have in a pile in the garden after i got some trees topped. Theres a fair bit of it there, but anything too big has been taken as firewood - i think there is ash, some leylandii and some other stuff too that i wouldn't know about. I'm worried that they will fill a few skips and at the price of skips it might not be the best option (we on a low budget here) - so was thinking of hiring a mulcher/woodchipper for a day. I have a few gravel bags i could fill with the stuff and even use the mulch in beds, when its dried out i guess. Not sure burning is permitted anymore, even if it was i have houses close by i wouldn't want to do that. Looking at the photos, if i was to mulch it, how heavy do you think i would need to go on the equipment? Any big trunks in there that i find i can take out and chop up for firewood

thanks -

250573.JPG

250574.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

without a reference, i can't see how thick the branches are or exactly how much there is.

FWIW I'd mulch the feck out of it. You can either rent a pretty powerful petrol mulcher chich would do the biz in a couple of hours or if the branches are thin enough you could buyt one in woodies for €270 and spend a sunny afternoon doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

id say the ones you see in the 2nd photo are about inch and half - anything bigger i dont mind trimming down for burning, there wouldnt be that many in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently cut down a fair bit of leylandii; anything thicker than my thumb was kept for firewood. i mulched the rest, but that took a fair while - i was using a small domestic mulcher. would have done the job in an hour had i a large one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

i would be mulching a bit bigger than that, so reckon i will hire a larger one. If i get a helper or two i reckon i could get away with a half day hire, if such a thing exists.

Advertisement