Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling to Euro

Options
  • 23-04-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I have some sterling saved up in a Northern Ireland back account and i've decided to use it to pay off credit card debt.

The credit card is a republic of ireland issued card.

How or what is the best way for me to pay off the credit card from the northern account ??

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I would suggest using currencyfair.ie or a similar reputable peer-to-peer currency trading website for doing the currency conversion as the rate you'll get is far superior than from any bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Quackster wrote: »
    I would suggest using currencyfair.ie or a similar reputable peer-to-peer currency trading website for doing the currency conversion as the rate you'll get is far superior than from any bank.
    Thanks - never heard of currencyfair.ie - you learn something every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Thanks

I should add that with CurrencyFair, there's a flat €3 fee for each transfer out of your CurrencyFair account (on top of 0,15% commission which is built into the exchange rate) so if you're moving money within the EEA (e.g. UK to IRL), a regular SEPA payment from your bank account directly to the beneficiary bank account (e.g. the payment account for your credit card) might be a little cheaper for small sums.

Eurozone banks are required to charge the same to make/receive SEPA Euro transfers as they do to make/receive domestic Euro transfers. Non-Eurozone banks may charge substantially more though so you should check your NI bank's relevant charges to determine which is the cheaper option.

The other major peer-to-peer currency trading website is transferwise.com and their fee is 0,5% of the amount converted with a minimum of €1/£1. So for sums less than €300, they ought to be better value than CurrencyFair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

And for larger sums (>e10000) you should set up with a proper fx broker. The larger the amount the better the rate you can get, always better than currencyfair.

Advertisement