Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC €50 charge threat for callout

Options
  • 23-04-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I got a letter from UPC last week to let me know about the new "free" service called Horizon. Attached was a letter informing me that I would have to pay an extra €6 per month for my Phone, Internet and TV package.

So I give them a ring and after much talking and transfering, I get slightly faster internet connection and more TV channels for less money than I'm currently paying (before €6 increase). So far so good.

BUT, since this arrangement I've had nothing but trouble with the recording facility on the TV. All the below issues having been coming and going but currently;
    • It doesn't record the series down to be recorded.
    • I can't add series to be recorded.
    • I can't add programs to be recorded.
    • I can't record the program I'm watching.
    I've rang UPC a few times and have been told everything should be working fine. It isn't.

So they booked me in for a service call for tomorrow, the engineer will arrive between 1 and 6 and I'm expected to be there. I'm in work and told them I won't be back until 5 at the earliest. They can't give me a definite time and don't seem too bothered that I'm put out by this, it seems I've to be happy to wait until Saturday before this can be checked out!!

And then to top it all, if the box happens to be working when he calls out, I'VE TO PAY A €50 CHARGE!!

I'm disgusted.

Rant over for the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I got a letter from UPC last week to let me know about the new "free" service called Horizon. Attached was a letter informing me that I would have to pay an extra €6 per month for my Phone, Internet and TV package.

So I give them a ring and after much talking and transfering, I get slightly faster internet connection and more TV channels for less money than I'm currently paying (before €6 increase). So far so good.

BUT, since this arrangement I've had nothing but trouble with the recording facility on the TV. All the below issues having been coming and going but currently;
    • It doesn't record the series down to be recorded.
    • I can't add series to be recorded.
    • I can't add programs to be recorded.
    • I can't record the program I'm watching.
    I've rang UPC a few times and have been told everything should be working fine. It isn't.

So they booked me in for a service call for tomorrow, the engineer will arrive between 1 and 6 and I'm expected to be there. I'm in work and told them I won't be back until 5 at the earliest. They can't give me a definite time and don't seem too bothered that I'm put out by this, it seems I've to be happy to wait until Saturday before this can be checked out!!

And then to top it all, if the box happens to be working when he calls out, I'VE TO PAY A €50 CHARGE!!

I'm disgusted.

Rant over for the moment.
    Get yourself a satellite dish(if you are allowed) and a free to air receiver and you will have most of the channels you have now for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Get yourself a satellite dish(if you are allowed) and a free to air receiver and you will have most of the channels you have now for free.

I'm seriously considering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

First of all your UPC box not recording right has nothing to do with whatever package you subscribing to.

If you cannot be in the house between 1 and 6 why did you not book in the appointment for Saturday in the first place? Waiting for Saturday to get the recording function working on the box shouldn't be that much of a big deal if you can't make yourself available before then!

No you wont get charged €50 if the box happens to be working. That charge is there for callouts that are entirely unnecessarily where the person has not followed the instructions of the customer services agent on the phone and the problem could of been fixed there and then. For example if the agent asked you to plug it out for 30 secs or factory reset the box and you refused or pretended to do it the technician could charge for a frivolous pointless call out. This is simply put in place to avoid pointless callouts that don't need a technician making people who do need a technician -like you appear to- wait longer for an appointment.

First of all your UPC box not recording right has nothing to do with whatever package you subscribing to.

I thought that. I was giving some background info.

If you cannot be in the house between 1 and 6 why did you not book in the appointment for Saturday in the first place? Waiting for Saturday to get the recording function working on the box shouldn't be that much of a big deal if you can't make yourself available before then!

Because I don't want to wait until Saturday. There are many programs on between now and then that I would like to record, it what I'm paying for it, I want it fixed asap.

I can make myself available between 5 and 6, no problem, but thay won't commit to calling between those times.

• Advertisement

No you wont get charged €50 if the box happens to be working. That charge is there for callouts that are entirely unnecessarily where the person has not followed the instructions of the customer services agent on the phone and the problem could of been fixed there and then. For example if the agent asked you to plug it out for 30 secs or factory reset the box and you refused or pretended to do it the technician could charge for a frivolous pointless call out. This is simply put in place to avoid pointless callouts that don't need a technician making people who do need a technician -like you appear to- wait longer for an appointment.

I understand this. As I mentioned, the issues I'm having are coming and going. There is a possibility that when (eventually) an engineer calls, it may appear to be working. What am I to do, hold him hostage until he can see the issues I'm having? The €50 charge is a disgrace, I have not been wasting their time 'pretending' to be following instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I can make myself available between 5 and 6, no problem, but thay won't commit to calling between those times.

It's not that they won't, it's that they can't. The engineer calling to you will stay with you (or any of their calls) until they resolve the issue or give proper diagnosis. If that takes 10 mins or it takes two hours. The engineer is not just calling to you. He is calling to a number of premises in a day, so they give a broad time to cover themselves.

Try to be a little more realistic.

I understand this. As I mentioned, the issues I'm having are coming and going. There is a possibility that when (eventually) an engineer calls, it may appear to be working. What am I to do, hold him hostage until he can see the issues I'm having? The €50 charge is a disgrace, I have not been wasting their time 'pretending' to be following instructions.

So you won't be charged! You have explained the issues are coming and going to the agent yes? So the appointment is booked in as such. Even if it is not working the technician will check both feeds are getting to the box correctly (one is for what you are watching now and one is for the the background recording) and check if the box is faulty. He will either fix it there and then or replace the box if necessary. That charge is there for people who haven't turned on the tele properly or if its not on the right AV channel and they can't be bothered to find out how to change it. The agent has to ehtically quote it!

How are they meant to guarantee a time for the technician to come out? Of course they can request the technician to come out to you after 5 but what happens if he/she uncovers a big issue in a prior call out and is delayed by an hour or two? It is not a dhl delivery your booking here it is a private service call out! If you were with Sky like I am you could be waiting for over a week AND have to pay a 100 euro or more call out charge even though I am too paying for a service. Same fee for the free Satellite service also.

Paulw wrote: »
    It's not that they won't, it's that they can't. The engineer calling to you will stay with you (or any of their calls) until they resolve the issue or give proper diagnosis. If that takes 10 mins or it takes two hours. The engineer is not just calling to you. He is calling to a number of premises in a day, so they give a broad time to cover themselves.

Try to be a little more realistic.

Won't / can't. It has the same outcome for me.

Be more realistic? You may think this level of service is ok, but I don't. A 5 hour window is too broad.

That charge is there for people who haven't turned on the tele properly or if its not on the right AV channel and they can't be bothered to find out how to change it.

I should be fine so.

• Advertisement

It is not a dhl delivery your booking here it is a private service call out!

Well maybe it should be more like that.

Won't / can't. It has the same outcome for me.

Be more realistic? You may think this level of service is ok, but I don't. A 5 hour window is too broad.

You have two choices - accept it, or go to another provider who will meet your demanding expectations ... oh wait ... no service company will do that.

If you are not happy with the schedule you have been given, you are free to reschedule to a time block that works for you (not a 1 hour window).

If you were with Sky like I am you could be waiting for over a week AND have to pay a 100 euro or more call out charge even though I am too paying for a service. Same fee for the free Satellite service also.

So you're saying Sky is worse, so I should be happy with whatever lousy service UPC throw my way??

You have two choices - accept it, or go to another provider who will meet your demanding expectations ... oh wait ... no service company will do that.

If you are not happy with the schedule you have been given, you are free to reschedule to a time block that works for you (not a 1 hour window).

Wow. Thanks for your input. You should send your CV into UPC.

Now where's that 'ignore' button.

So you're saying Sky is worse, so I should be happy with whatever lousy service UPC throw my way??

What is being said is that UPC are quite good at responding quickly with an engineer, and that no company will give you a narrow window of 1 hour for a call. They almost all give you a morning or afternoon window.

What is being said is that UPC are quite good at responding quickly with an engineer, and that no company will give you a narrow window of 1 hour for a call. They almost all give you a morning or afternoon window.

Ah well then thats alright so, to be sure to be sure. Who am I to be complaining, I'll just have a few drinks and sure it'll be alright if I just ignore it all. Begorrah.

Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You do need to be realistic regarding the call out times. The €50 fee mentioned is "just in case" advisory, which is a perfectly valid thing to let customers know about before hand tbh. It would be much worse if they didn't mention it.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The €50 fee mentioned is "just in case" advisory, which is a perfectly valid thing to let customers know about before hand tbh. It would be much worse if they didn't mention it.

True. It would be much better for the consumer if it didn't exist though.

No it wouldn't at all! If you didn't have that fee for unwarranted call outs you would have thousands of unwarranted and unnecessary call outs for

1.People who can't be a**ed to do the checks and troubleshooting on the phone

2. People with television issues (can't find the A.V button,remote,tv is black) that have nothing to do with UPC!

Which would mean that you would be waiting even longer for your appointment!

So it would not be much better for the consumer if it didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭SteM

Ah well then thats alright so, to be sure to be sure. Who am I to be complaining, I'll just have a few drinks and sure it'll be alright if I just ignore it all. Begorrah.

Ireland. :rolleyes:

You're suggesting this only happens in Ireland? It's an issue with service engineers the world over.

How do you suggest that an engineer that doesn’t know what a problem is before he/she sees and deals with it commits to 1 hour window at the end of a working day when jobs could have been running long all day? Should a service engineer only be allocated 2 jobs a day - one first thing in the morning and one last thing in the evening so they can't overlap and can meet your 1 hour window?

If you were in charge I think you would run UPCs service department like Homer Simpson ran Spirngfield's garbabe collection.

BTW, my understaning is that Horizon is still a test service by UPC so I would expect plenty of teething issues if I were you. Take a look at the 'Cable & MMDS & IPTV' forum for more info on it.

Melendez wrote: »

Theres alot of apologists for UPC on here!

I'm not really interested in the problems / logistics / whatever, that UPC have. I'm paying for a service I'm not getting, have been on to them numerous times to sort it out, its still not sorted, I can't an assured appointment for when it suits me, now I've to wait until Saturday to get an appointment in a 5 hour window (over 1 week of problems at this stage).

It's nice to hear that in your circumstance they didn't charge the call out fee. It should be the same for me, but I'm not happy with the service I'm receiving from them. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Theres alot of apologists for UPC on here!

There's a lot of realists would be more accurate.

I do expect them to call when I'm actually at home.

Tomorrows appointment doesn't suit me (unless they guarantee after 5 call), and Saturday is ages away. Will I get a refund/compensation for the inconvience? No chance.

SteM wrote: »
    You're suggesting this only happens in Ireland? It's an issue with service engineers the world over.

How do you suggest that an engineer that doesn’t know what a problem is before he/she sees and deals with it commits to 1 hour window at the end of a working day when jobs could have been running long all day? Should a service engineer only be allocated 2 jobs a day - one first thing in the morning and one last thing in the evening so they can't overlap and can meet your 1 hour window?

None of this should be my problem.

If you were in charge I think you would run UPCs service department like Homer Simpson ran Spirngfield's garbabe collection

O.....K.....
    :confused:

BTW, my understaning is that Horizon is still a test service by UPC so I would expect plenty of teething issues if I were you. Take a look at the 'Cable & MMDS & IPTV' forum for more info on it.

I don't use it. I don't want it. And I don't see what this has to do with my issues.

There's a lot of realists would be more accurate.

Yeah, you're probably right. People seem to be ok with this level of service, looks like I'm the 'weirdo' who isn't ok with it. :mad:

• Advertisement

I don't use it. I don't want it. And I don't see what this has to do with my issues.

If you didn't want it and don't use it, why oh why did you sign up for a trial service?????? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement