Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC €50 charge threat for callout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Learn to use edit, jebus.

The customer is not always right and in this case you most ertainly are not. You are receiving the service level you agreed to when you signed up and that you are paying for. If you want next day service in a designated hour then you would be paying far more for it. As it stands your demands are unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Paulw wrote: »
    If you didn't want it and don't use it, why oh why did you sign up for a trial service?????? :eek:

I didn't! :confused:

I got a letter from UPC last week to let me know about the new "free" service called Horizon. Attached was a letter informing me that I would have to pay an extra €6 per month for my Phone, Internet and TV package.

It was an advert for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Yeah, you're probably right. People seem to be ok with this level of service, looks like I'm the 'weirdo' who isn't ok with it. :mad:

What I'm ok with is a window of a few hours for a callout from any kind of similar service.

Do I particularly welcome possibly waiting around for 5 hours ? No not at all.

Would I prefer to have a guaranteed hour ? Of course !

However I understand that in order for such a guarantee to be provided is at best impractical. At it's most simplest the runing costs of that operation would be significantly higher - each engineer would do maybe one fifth of the work currently done. So 5 times more staff and resources needed to service the same network and the costs of this would have to be passed on (either in call out fees or increases in monthly subs to cover it) I know you will say you have a legitimate service issue etc but all legitimate service issues that arise need to be covered in the revenue stream of the company in question. I'd rather the occasional wait than an increase in fees each month.

Learn to use edit, jebus.

The customer is not always right and in this case you most ertainly are not. You are receiving the service level you agreed to when you signed up and that you are paying for. If you want next day service in a designated hour then you would be paying far more for it. As it stands your demands are unreasonable.

Says you.

I'm not happy, of that i'm ertain. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Toys out of the pram from the OP here. Someone tells him he's simply expecting a service that no service company in the world can provide and he calls them a UPC apologist.

OP if there was no call out fee, then you wouldn't have been given the option of 1 - 6 or Saturday. You options instead would have been, we can put you on the list, you can expect us to call out in 3 - 6 weeks. Why, because people call over the stupidest things that they can check themselves, but won't.

You've been given a timeline that is very reasonable. As been said, everyone would love their engineer out at 5 - 6 when they finish work. It can't happen. It's not a food delivery service where they call to the door and are gone in 2 minutes max. Each call the engineer make can take an indefinite period of time to complete. It could take 2 minutes or 2 hours. Would you be happy if they said they'd be at your door at 5 - 6pm, then showed at 8pm or next day because the last job before yours took way longer than expected. No you wouldn't, you'd be moaning saying they shouldn't have said they'd call if they couldn't.

Grow up and stop taking a service company call out times as a personal affront. Your attitude serves to remind people of the retail thread where workers put up the rants they have to deal with from the customers. Me, me, me ****ing me.

• Advertisement

Says you.

I'm not happy, of that i'm ertain. :pac:

You aren't happy because you think you are entitled to more, you are not though. Offer to pay more for a better call out time.

I know you will say you have a legitimate service issue etc but all legitimate service issues that arise need to be covered in the revenue stream of the company in question. I'd rather the occasional wait than an increase in fees each month.

I'd rather get what I'm paying for without having to wait all week for it to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah well then thats alright so, to be sure to be sure. Who am I to be complaining, I'll just have a few drinks and sure it'll be alright if I just ignore it all. Begorrah.

Ireland. :rolleyes:

UPC is owned by one of the largest cable companies in the world, and nowhere would a customer be able to dictate a call-out time of between 5-6pm only. It's unrealistic to have a 1 hour window.

Your comment about having a few drinks is pathetic, and your attitude is one of a stroppy teenager. Based on your inability to write the word "that's" correctly, perhaps you are one. If so then maybe your attitude will improve as you mature.

Not surprised they mentioned the threat of €50 really, from your limited contribution here it wouldn't be one bit surprising if user error was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'd rather get what I'm paying for without having to wait all week for it to be done.

What you're paying for includes that kind of standard in nearly all areas service level when things go wrong.

Yawns wrote: »
    Grow up and stop taking a service company call out times as a personal affront. Your attitude serves to remind people of the retail thread where workers put up the rants they have to deal with from the customers. Me, me, me ****ing me.

I've been patient with them, now I'm annoyed. I'm not accepting what you're saying as a selfish rant. They should be able to keep their customers happy, or they'll leave. Which is what I'm very likely to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

OP. You're getting what you paid for and signed up for.
    If you want a window for a time that suits you I'm sure UPC would be happy to charge more. Just ask them to quote you for that. It might add on €30 to €40 per month but you'll get what you want.
    The fact that they're willing to come out on a Saturday is pretty good I'd think.

First world problems. :D I must record my programmes between now and Friday night.

You aren't happy because you think you are entitled to more, you are not though. Offer to pay more for a better call out time.

It's not an option as far as I'm aware.

timetogo wrote: »
    First world problems. :D I must record my programmes between now and Friday night.

:pac:

UPC is owned by one of the largest cable companies in the world, and nowhere would a customer be able to dictate a call-out time of between 5-6pm only. It's unrealistic to have a 1 hour window.

How about a call out time of between 5 and 7, or 8, or 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

I've been patient with them, now I'm annoyed. I'm not accepting what you're saying as a selfish rant. They should be able to keep their customers happy, or they'll leave. Which is what I'm very likely to do.

Leave to where? where are you going to go and be happy with a service?

When I ring SKY with a technical problem with my satellite dish they point me to nearest private technician that charges me 100 quid for the call out withing 10 days? What are you going to do when that happens and you have to fork up around 100 euro for a call out which you will still have to wait around for! Not only that but if you box breaks down after the warranty you will have to buy a new one as you own it!

If you get a private dish set up then who are you going to call when it goes tits up? Its going to be another private technician! And you are going to get charged!

There may be vaild reason for leaving UPC but this is not one of them. You are getting a call out that is costing you NOTHING extra and a very reasonable time frame with a time-frame for Satuday also provided.

First world problems...

How about a call out time of between 5 and 7, or 8, or 9!

You aren't paying them enough for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just a word of warning op. The problem you described sounds like the problem I had with my upc box. If it is the same thing you'll need a new box. Everything you have recorded right now your going to lose.

Leave to where? where are you going to go and be happy with a service?

When I ring SKY with a technical problem with my satellite dish they point me to nearest private technician that charges me 100 quid for the call out withing 10 days? What are you going to do when that happens and you have to fork up around 100 euro for a call out which you will still have to wait around for! Not only that but if you box breaks down after the warranty you will have to buy a new one as you own it!

If you get a private dish set up then who are you going to call when it goes tits up? Its going to be another private technician! And you are going to get charged!

There may be vaild reason for leaving UPC but this is not one of them. You are getting a call out that is costing you NOTHING extra and a very reasonable time frame with a time-frame for Satuday also provided.

First world problems...

I don't think I have to justify leaving UPC, surely if I'm not happy I can leave without explanation of where I'm going? If I discover the next provider is as bad, I'll leave them. (Awaiting inciteful amusing comment as an answer to this)

And while it's funny to take the piss with "First world problems...." comments, I'm certainly not comparing it starving to death in a war zone.

ken wrote: »
    Just a word of warning op. The problem you described sounds like the problem I had with my upc box. If it is the same thing you'll need a new box. Everything you have recorded right now your going to lose.

Was afraid of that. I've loads of rare music recorded. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Was afraid of that. I've loads of rare music recorded. :(

Your going to lose it anyway when you leave the service and they take back their box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Is this supposed to be witty?
    Nope, just a fact. You cancel the service, they will take back their equipment.

I wonder where you have been before, that this service is suddenly so unbearable to you?

Also, I'll probbaly get banned for this but it needs to be said, you're being a bit of <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ceekay74 Please try to pay some heed to what other posters are telling you. Your style of posting is not winning you many friends right now

dudara

EDIT - just saw the last exchange. Enough of this rubbish. Thread closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Is this supposed to be witty?

Why do you think he's being witty. You don't own the UPC equipment. That's why if they call out and it's a problem with the equipment, there's no charge. The €50 charge is only if there's no fault with their equipment. If turning it off and then turning it back on solves it, you'll get charged €50 as it's something you can do yourself. In your case it seems to be faulty equipment so shouldn't be a charge.

As said, if you go to sky you won't get this threat. You'll own the equipment so you'll have to pay for a call out regardless if it's a simple fix or not. If you need replacement, you'll need to argue with sky for a replacement box for free, which they might do if you extend a contract. Normally you'll have to buy the replacement box. Sky won't offer you a next day appointment either as they generally outsource it. So a 5 hour window next day or a Saturday if more convenient is certainly the much better option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement