Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi weirdness!

Options
  • 23-04-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭

My WiFi has taken a mind of it's own of late. Well I say of late, but I have recently got a new macbook so really only notice this problem since than.

Router is beside my bed. I'm working away down in the sitting room happy out. Then every so often the connection drops. It may come back in a little while itself or I may have to go up and switch the router off and back on, or I may have to reboot my macbook.

Sometimes, it will tell me I am still connected, but I can get no internet, so it appears my network is ok, but internet is down. I don't think the internet goes down this often, and think the problem is still my router.

Now the ultimate weird thing is if I take the macbook to bed, a meer 4 foot from the router, I am pretty much guaranteed 90% of the time, I will not be able to pick up the WiFi at all. I just can't see it, but I have just been on it downstairs 5 minutes ago!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Is it just the macbook that has issues with Wifi or is it common across the network?

If its just that device there may be an issue with the network card. Try doing a troubleshoot and resetting the card and DHCP. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mr. G wrote: »
    Is it just the macbook that has issues with Wifi or is it common across the network?

If its just that device there may be an issue with the network card. Try doing a troubleshoot and resetting the card and DHCP. Let us know how you get on.

na, the missus has similar issues with her windows laptop (also brand new) and we have intermittent issues with our phones picking up the WiFi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Get a new router.

In the past I would have advised changing channels etc, but I've had routers from well known manufacturers that I spent ages troubleshooting, rebooting, fitting cooling arrays to, and I have had routers that cost 20 quid that never needed rebooting, and just worked.

Get one of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Download InSSider and check how many wireless networks are shown and how many are operating on the same channel as yours.

How many other wireless devices are in the vicinity. E.g. baby alarms video senders etc.

Wireless is low power and susceptible to RF interference.

It is deliberately low power as if it were higher everybody would be interfering with everyone else and it would be unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

syklops wrote: »
    Get a new router.

In the past I would have advised changing channels etc, but I've had routers from well known manufacturers that I spent ages troubleshooting, rebooting, fitting cooling arrays to, and I have had routers that cost 20 quid that never needed rebooting, and just worked.

Get one of the latter.

any recomendations?

• Advertisement

I bought a cheapy Belkin some time back and never had a moments problem with it. It cost 20 euro.

I had a Linksys(which is owned by Cisco) and it cost a lot of money and I had nothing but trouble. Its pot luck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It sounds like there's an issue with your current router.

Before buying one, try changing the channel from something far from others in the area as FSL described.

I've a tplink router that cost €24.99 in argos and never had an issue.

Some good brands are cisco/linksys, tplink and netgear.

Stay clear of belkin.

Mr. G wrote: »
    It sounds like there's an issue with your current router.

Before buying one, try changing the channel from something far from others in the area as FSL described.

I've a tplink router that cost €24.99 in argos and never had an issue.

Some good brands are cisco/linksys, tplink and netgear.

Stay clear of belkin.

The quality of Linksys varies greatly.

Advertisement