Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopovers and luggage

Options
  • 23-04-2013 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm going on holiday to the U.S. in a few months and it involves changing planes in Boston on the way back. I have the choice to pick an 8 hour stopover in Boston but I have never had a stopover that long and was just wondering if I'll be able to check my luggage the whole way through to Dublin so I can have the time in Boston without the hassle of dragging a suitcase around? If it makes any difference, I will be booking through Aer Lingus

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, you should be able to check it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

it depends on which airline and if they have an interline agreement with EI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

endofrainbow, it looks like Jet Blue Pittsburgh-Boston-Dublin if that makes any difference? I'd love to find out for sure before I book the ticket otherwise I'll have to select the 2 hour stopover option.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

You're in luck so, JetBlue have an interline agreement with Aer Lingus so when you check your bag in Pittsburgh, you won't see it again til Dublin.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you'll be doing any shopping when you are over there, don't leave anything valuables in your checked bags...iPad, Xboxes, tablets & the like. I know that that should be the rule of thumb anyway when you are traveling, but unlike most travelers, your bags won't be loaded straight onto another waiting plane. They will be sitting for several hours in a (possibly unsupervized) holding area, waiting for your plane from Ireland to show up. Valuables get stolen out of bags in airports all the time. I don't want to alarm you, but yours will be more at risk than most, due to how long they will be at the airport.

• Advertisement

it goes without saying that you should never place anything of value in your checked bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

I won't be buying anything like that. Of course I'll be getting clothes but I'll remove the tags before packing. Think that will be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

it goes without saying that you should never place anything of value in your checked bags.

You know that. And I know that. But that still doesn't stop people from doing it, and then going on Joe Duffy to complain about their little Jimmy's XBox being robbed from their bags at JFK ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Coincidentally, story was on the news last week of a baggage handler in Minnisota, that was fired after an investigation found he had stolen $80000 worth of stuff from bags.........he worked alone in one closed area along the conveyor belt and grabbed bags in a camera blind spot......after complaints, the airport added an extra camera and he was caught red-handed.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/04/minneapolis-airport-baggage-handler-accused-of-stealing-84000-worth-of-belongings-from-passengers/

Advertisement