Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to buy in the States

• 23-04-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Orlando and New Jersey/New York next month and want to get some new toys over there.

I have an iPhone 4 so was thinking of picking up an iPad and Apple Tv so I can take advantage of Airplay. Is there anything else I should have a look at.

Also the apple.com site says the ATV is $99, is that the price I pay instore or do they add tax.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Tax to be added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

You'll probably have to stay with USB powered/charged devices so that may rule out the Apple TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Tax to be added

Someone mentioned to me that there's no sales tax in Orlando, is that the tax that gets added

Senecio wrote: »
    You'll probably have to stay with USB powered/charged devices so that may rule out the Apple TV.

I believe I just need to change the power cord as apple make all their products to take both 110 and 220v

Someone mentioned to me that there's no sales tax in Orlando, is that the tax that gets added

Sales tax in Orlando is around 6-7% if my memory serves me right. 2011 was the last time I was there

• Advertisement

I believe I just need to change the power cord as apple make all their products to take both 110 and 220v

To be honest, by the time you buy an adaptor, are the savings on a $99 device worth the hassle?

To be honest, by the time you buy an adaptor, are the savings on a $99 device worth the hassle?

I won't be going out of my way to buy it really, I was going to get an iPad so was just going to get the ATV at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the apple tv takes a standard figure 8 power cord, you can buy them here for like 3 quid or less.

the savings on an appleTV are worth it if you're near an apple store.

I won't be going out of my way to buy it really, I was going to get an iPad so was just going to get the ATV at the same time.

Just bear in mind that your allowance for bringing in stuff from outside the EU is €430 (on the very rare chance that you get stopped at customs on your way back) so you don't want the Apple TV pushing you over the limit when you can get it here for just a couple of quid dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Correct, that 'figure of 8' cord was typically used on appliances that were double-insulated and didn't need an earth such as old VCRs and some modern TVs also use them if the cord is not hard wired into the back of the set, there's a good chance that you already have a spare one lying around the house somewhere.

2m-figure-8-power-cable.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Just bear in mind that your allowance for bringing in stuff from outside the EU is €430 (on the very rare chance that you get stopped at customs on your way back) so you don't want the Apple TV pushing you over the limit when you can get it here for just a couple of quid dearer.
    Nothing to stop him saying he brought the iPad with him

Would it be right to say That if I have the iPad unopened in my luggage and get stopped, produce my receipt showing it cost less than €430, I don't have to pay VAT/import duties

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Would it be right to say That if I have the iPad unopened in my luggage and get stopped, produce my receipt showing it cost less than €430, I don't have to pay VAT/import duties

€430 is the total for everything you bring in from outside in one visit, not per item.

whiterebel wrote: »
    €430 is the total for everything you bring in from outside in one visit, not per item.

But once the total of the items is less than €430 I wouldn't have to pay a cent to bring them home, is that right

But once the total of the items is less than €430 I wouldn't have to pay a cent to bring them home, is that right
    Yeah, that's correct. And it's per person too so if you're travelling with someone, they get €430 allowance too (€215 for kids).

From the Revenue's website:

(i) General

You are allowed to bring in goods (including gifts, souvenirs, perfume and clothing) free of duty, the combined value of which does not exceed:

€430 in the case of an individual aged 15 years or over
    €215 in the case of an individual aged under 15 years
    It is important to be aware that the above monetary allowances do not apply to any individual item the value of which exceeds the relevant limits. If you bring in something worth more than the relevant limit of €430 or €215, you must pay import charges on the full value.

If you are bringing back any duty-free goods you bought when you travelled out from Ireland, these count as part of your allowance.

In addition, you are allowed to bring in goods free of duty in the categories shown below subject to the upper limits indicated.

Yeah, that's correct. And it's per person too so if you're travelling with someone, they get €430 allowance too (€215 for kids).

From the Revenue's website:

(i) General

You are allowed to bring in goods (including gifts, souvenirs, perfume and clothing) free of duty, the combined value of which does not exceed:

€430 in the case of an individual aged 15 years or over
    €215 in the case of an individual aged under 15 years
    It is important to be aware that the above monetary allowances do not apply to any individual item the value of which exceeds the relevant limits. If you bring in something worth more than the relevant limit of €430 or €215, you must pay import charges on the full value.

If you are bringing back any duty-free goods you bought when you travelled out from Ireland, these count as part of your allowance.

In addition, you are allowed to bring in goods free of duty in the categories shown below subject to the upper limits indicated.

Ah that's great cheers, greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Wonder if customs/revenue use the price you paid or the retail price in IRL as reference, I always thought the latter... Basic 16gb wifi only iPad4 retails @€;509. Just in case...

flyguy wrote: »
    Wonder if customs/revenue use the price you paid or the retail price in IRL as reference, I always thought the latter... Basic 16gb wifi only iPad4 retails @€;509. Just in case...

That's a good question. If say it's the price you paid as not everything is available in Ireland so how could they put the Irish retail price on those items?

That is a good one, I'd say if you have a receipt saying it cost $499 then they would be doing well to try and tell someone to stump up vat and import charges, although would you be surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Have to correct myself -from what I can find through google and boards search- revenue use the price you paid as value not what it costs in IRL.

• Advertisement

Have to correct myself -from what I can find through google and boards search- revenue use the price you paid as value not what it costs in IRL.

I think it's if you don't have the receipt to prove how much you paid then they use their own valuation system which will obviously be how much the item would cost locally

Advertisement