Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance

Options
  • 23-04-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys, I have recently shifted from Alaska to Dublin, Ireland. i am now looking for a health insurance policy. After searching online and comparing quotes from various health insurance companies, I have finalized for Vhi Health insurance. I have visited their website and found their policy suitable for my requirements. What are your response for this health insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

You'll probably get cheaper plans with the same covers from every other insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if you're asking if they're financially sound, the VHI is a semi-state company (i.e. owned by the Govt.) but the market is highly regulated and you're safe dealing with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would agree with the other posts here that you could get a similar policy with the other companies cheaper than Vhi.
    What type of cover are you looking for?
    Do you want money back on day to day expenses?
    Are you willing to pay an excess for each time you go to hospital?
    What policy are you looking at with the vhi? I have some experience in this area so I could have a look at other policies for you.
    Also be aware that you will have a waiting period before you will have hospital cover except in the case of an accident.
    The waiting period is depending on your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jackbreaken

I am looking for a simple health insurance policy that can cover my regular hospital expenses. I am looking for insurance that can bear my hospital charges whenever I am hospitalized. With Vhi insurance, I will be given a insurer card that I can use at hospital to cover the payment. I was looking for an exactly same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Www.hia.ie compares all plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

With Vhi insurance, I will be given a insurer card that I can use at hospital to cover the payment. I was looking for an exactly same thing.

Well they've obviously scored a hit with that stunt - giving you a card!

Most policies will cover most procedures in the majority of hospitals. In almost all cases the hospital will bill the medical insurer directly for the costs.

Emergency treatment (A & E) does not require medical insurance, everyone is treated the same. How people are treated in A & E is a matter for a different discussion but suffice it to say that being insured will not get you treated faster in A & E nor will the ambulance bring you to a different hospital based on whether you're insured or not.

If you're going for elective surgery, you just tell the admissions staff who you're insured with and your membership number, they will then validate that you have sufficient cover for the proposed procedure and aftercare. You do not need to flash a card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dricko_lim wrote: »
    Www.hia.ie compares all plans

And check out the corporate plans for better value.
    Laya are doign some with a 1 euro excess for outpatient services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

On the card issue both aviva and laya have given me cards in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Cards are standard, but worthless.

Advertisement