Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mervue area question

Options
  • 23-04-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

HI all.

I'm looking to move house and have been looking at a house in Ceannt Avenue in Mervue and I was wondering could anyone fill me in as to what the area is like???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

use Google Maps Street View to have a gander at how the place is kept, how people maintain their frontages etc, it can sometimes be a decent proxy of the makeup of people who live in an area.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can also search Galway advertiser to see if it has been mentioned there.
    No news is good news :)

www.google.ie/search?q=Ceannt+Avenue+site%3Aadvertiser.ie
    and
    www.google.ie/search?q=Avenue+mervue+site%3Aadvertiser.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    You can also search Galway advertiser to see if it has been mentioned there.
    No news is good news :)

www.google.ie/search?q=Ceannt+Avenue+site%3Aadvertiser.ie
    and
    www.google.ie/search?q=Avenue+mervue+site%3Aadvertiser.ie

You forgot the phrase "with an address"

... always good to combine with estate names and compare the result counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

as galway goes mervue is a good place to live, local schools of all levels, plenty of bus stops,not far from town if ya wanna walk, quiet enough, ceant ave is a quiet spot..
    big shops arent far away..

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Numbers111

if your a mass goer, sample the 12.30 mass on a sunday at the parish church. Its one of the best attended in the city with the folk choir, afterwards walk up to the avenue and you will get an idea of what its like. There is a beautiful garden at the edge of that avenue at a bungalow. Also check out St James GAA club or Mervue United soccer club. Its 98%Galwegians in Mervue. Its an old tough as boots area that has had its fair share of challenges over its 60 years. It has an elderly population now
    Some great Galwegians like Poet Rita Ann Higgins, traditional musicians Mairtin O Connor & Frankie Gavin, Sportstars Eric Elwood, Graham Lee (Grand National winning jockey), The Power twins & Ned Keogh RIP grew up there.

below is the corner of emmet and ceannt avenue have a look at the gardens here if you move the cursor left some of the gardens are fab
    http://www.earth-scout.com/google-street-view.php?q=40%20emmet%20avenue%20mervue%20galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I've noticed that a lot of younger families are moving into Mervue now, considering the population there was a lot of older people. I think for young families it's a nice community spot; schools, green spaces, lot of clubs, the shops and post office etc..and great transport links too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

its like most areas they go through phases with the different generations. my dad grew up in mervue and said every street was full of kids out playing everyday. and most houses have at least 4/5 kids! this was 40 years ago and these kids have grown up and moved on. alot of elderly in the area but as mentioned about some young families moving back into the area which is great to see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah me old haunt.

Grand spot.

Advertisement