Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router

Options
  • 23-04-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I am going to get Virgin media, but want to ask a question about file sharing over wifi.

Is it possible? If so, is there a way I can disable it for filesharing and just use the wifi for just internet access?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yes it is possible.

With regard to your home network, You can setup a VLAN so it cannot communicate with other computer on the network.

This is a setting a lot of routers and is becoming more and more common. This will mean you cannot access networked printers etc.

If you wish to disable file sharing everywhere, there is a setting on the computer to do that. It might make more sense to do this.

Why do you want to disable it?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Mr. G wrote: »
    Yes it is possible.

With regard to your home network, You can setup a VLAN so it cannot communicate with other computer on the internet.

This is a setting a lot of routers and is becoming more and more common. This will mean you cannot access networked printers etc.

If you wish to disable file sharing everywhere, there is a setting on the computer to do that. It might make more sense to do this.

Why do you want to disable it?

Well to be honest, I do have a ethernet switch which I fileshare with my computer and laptop, just want to know if its possible to share via router

nucker wrote: »
    Well to be honest, I do have a ethernet switch which I fileshare with my computer and laptop, just want to know if its possible to share via router

Yes it is. Just plug it in with the new router. File sharing should work as before and any devices connected to the new router will be able to access file sharing also.

If you have an existing switch (dhcp disabled) connect that in too.

But not sharing via wifi?

You have me a bit confused. Do you want to have a seperate network for wireless so any wifi device can't get shared folders from a wired device?

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    You have me a bit confused. Do you want to have a seperate network for wireless so any wifi device can't get shared folders from a wired device?

Yes

nucker wrote: »
    Yes

Setup a VLAN on your new router, here's an example

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=418

I've got the ASUS RT-N56U, but since I've set it up, it still has the ISP and more importantly, the IP number...I need to configure the router (ASUS) so neither are showing

Advertisement