Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless mouse "eats" batteries

Options
  • 23-04-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Phoenix wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I have a Microsoft wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 that was working fine with regard to battery consumption until very recently,I bought Duracell batteries and they seem to last only one day at a push whereas before they would last at least a week or two.
    any suggestions?

try using lithium ion rechargable batteries or buy a better wireless mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you parking the little USB receiver inside the mouse when it's not in use??

Snap-in receiver turns mouse off, conserving battery life

The technical sheet says 8 months 'typical' battery life'.

Duracell batteries typically have the 'best before' date stamped as a year number on the side, if that isn't 2018 or thereabouts and you bought them recently then you may have bought dud stock. If you bought them in a pound shop then they may be counterfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

They will definitely work but I wouldn't go splashing out on Lithium batteries, they're relatively expensive. Duracell alkalines should last for several months if you park the USB stick inside the mouse when it's not in use.

Or if the batteries are getting chewed up anyway, buy cheap - Halfords are currently selling their own-brand AA (and AAA) 12-pack for €2.99.

Using more expensive batteries is not the solution. Find the underlying cause and fix it before you go buying high capacity & expensive batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Advertisement

What could cause the batteries been chewed up anyway?it is only recently that they only last for a day tops.i bought duracell simply x 4 last week and they barely lasted from thurs to sunday.roughly a battery per 24 hours and that was switching it off when not using too

Has it only happened with those batteries? Did you buy them from a pound shop or a 'regular' shop like Tescos? If they are Duracell what is the best before year number on the side?

You could have gotten a bad batch, it happens though more often with rechargeables. You'd want your head examined if you're thinking the solution is more expensive batteries - that's throwing good money after bad.

If a different set of batteries behaves the same, the solution is either take the batteries out at night or buy a new mouse, I doubt if such a device is economic to repair once its out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id say you got a dud set of cells.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Duracell Simply batteries are just Duracell budget batteries. They won't have the same amount of power as other "models"

Their website suggests "low to moderate drain devices"
    http://www.duracell.co.uk/en-GB/product/simply-duracell-batteries.jspx

byte wrote: »
    Duracell Simply batteries are just Duracell budget batteries. They won't have the same amount of power as other "models"

Their website suggests "low to moderate drain devices"
    http://www.duracell.co.uk/en-GB/product/simply-duracell-batteries.jspx

Microsoft claim 8 months 'typical' life for a battery in that model mouse so by any standard that is 'low drain'.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

coylemj wrote: »
    Microsoft claim 8 months 'typical' life for a battery in that model mouse so by any standard that is 'low drain'.
    Hm, fair point. For some reason I misread the OP as lasting a week, not a day. Any oul kinda battery you'd expect more than a day from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im suprised that mouse gets such terrible life. I might have to suggest another. Logitech mice seem ideal, I think the M305 or M325 has something like a 3-year projected life on one alkaline battery?

Lithium Batteries would be a help too.

Don't rely on rechargeable batteries for wireless devices (except for the rechargable Li-Ios that are supplied with the product, obviously). Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd batteries run at 1.2 Volts. Alkaline runs at 1.5 Volts, and this is what the wireless mouse is designed for use with. The 1.2 Volt batteries in most cases either simply dont work or get terrible reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just as a comparison, I have that model mouse and am using it typically 2-3 days a week for about 3 months now. Haven't needed to change the batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just as a comparison, I have that model mouse and am using it typically 2-3 days a week for about 3 months now. Haven't changed the batteries.

I have the 5000. Have it probably 5 months, never changed the batteries.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I used to use 'hybrid' NiMH* batteries in my wireless mouse (I use a corded mouse now). They were excellent, with several months of life.

*Normal NiMH batteries have a shelf life of a few weeks, the newer hybrid ones last up to a year unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not sure putting Li-ion batteries into a device that possibly has a short or partial short is a good idea ? Try with good quality Duracell + Alkalines to determine if it was just the cells or in fact a fault in the mouse before installing LI-ion ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

ZENER wrote: »
    Not sure putting Li-ion batteries into a device that possibly has a short or partial short is a good idea ? Try with good quality Duracell + Alkalines to determine if it was just the cells or in fact a fault in the mouse before installing LI-ion ?

Ken

you can buy lithium rechargable batteries from duracell.

they arent even expensive... they last ages too.

i use them in my cordless phones and the charge lasts upto a week and thats with regular use.. only have to sit the phone in the cradle once a week for a few hours

Advertisement