Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Grealish RIP

• 23-04-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭

Former Brighton, West Brom and Republic of Ireland footballer Tony Grealish has died at the age of 56.

Grealish, who won 45 Ireland caps during a 10-year international career, had been suffering from cancer.

The highlight of the London-born midfielder's career came in 1983, when he captained Brighton to the FA Cup final against Manchester United.

And a statement on the Championship club's website read: "Brighton & Hove Albion are saddened by the news that former captain Tony Grealish has passed away.

"On behalf of everyone at the club, our thoughts go out to partner Wendy, children Garret and Jordana, grandchildren Harrison and Joshua, likewise Tony's mother Nora, brother Brian and sisters Anne and Christine at this very sad time."

Grealish, whose career began at Leyton Orient in 1974, also played for Luton, Manchester City, Rotherham and Walsall.

RIP and condolences to his family

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RIP to one of the great servants of the Boys in Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I was a big fan of Grealish when I was a kid, and I remember him playing in the 1983 FA Cup final. He was a good player who gave his all.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RIP, had great memories of him from my youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Still remember him as part of that talented generation of players who almost made it to Spain in 82.
    For some unknown reason he was the guy I wanted to be when we played at school lunchtimes pretending to be Ireland.
    Maybe it was the beard.

RIP

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP Tony. A great servant to the cause for the ROI. I loved watching him play, always left everything on the field. Was part of the Brighton side that drew an FA Cup final with United but lost the replay. I so wanted to see them win that and it was because of Grealish and Michael Robinson who was another great one for the ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

RIP Tony..thanks for the memories...Always played well for Ireland...his memory wont fade as his son takes up the mantle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Ah feck. RIP Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Great Irishman on the pitch, great competitor, sadly missed, very,very young age, only 56 !

Rest in Peace Tony

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

So sad for his family. It is hard to comprehend someone so tough, fit, and energetic can go at such a relatively young age young. Great servant for Ireland. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

RIP Tony..thanks for the memories...Always played well for Ireland...his memory wont fade as his son takes up the mantle

Who does his son play for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Never saw him play but heard great things about him

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RIP tony

surprised he was only 56, cause as a player he always looked much older than his age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

RIP, I remember Tony Grealish when he was a regular for Ireland. Back in those days at Lansdowne Road international matches were always on a Wednesday with a 3 PM kick off. Usually full house for the games as well despite the early kick off on a weekday, I guess they didn't have a proper floodlight system at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

gave his heart and soul tp the cause , every time he put that green jersey on, unlike some of the later day over paid/hyped internationals - I was such a young proud fan of the Irish team , when he played - the seeds were set for the Jack era - Legend . R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

RIP Tony, Good honest pro and a proper Irishman, no granny rule nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

My dad's favourite Irish player of any era.

RIP Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I remember being at Ireland v Spain's 3-3 draw in November 1982 for a school trip. Tony was on the team that day.

Ireland: Seamus McDonagh (Bolton Wanderers), John Devine (Arsenal), Mick Martin (Newcastle Utd), Mark Lawrenson (Liverpool), Chris Hughton (Tottenham Hotspur), Tony Grealish (Brighton) capt, Liam Brady (Sampdoria), Ashley Grimes (Manchester United), Kevin O’Callaghan (Ipswich Town), Frank Stapleton (Manchester United), Michael Robinson (Brighton)
    Sub: Mickey Walsh (FC Porto) for Grealish 60 mins

RIP Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember being at Ireland v Spain's 3-3 draw in November 1982 for a school trip. Tony was on the team that day.

Ireland: Seamus McDonagh (Bolton Wanderers), John Devine (Arsenal), Mick Martin (Newcastle Utd), Mark Lawrenson (Liverpool), Chris Hughton (Tottenham Hotspur), Tony Grealish (Brighton) capt, Liam Brady (Sampdoria), Ashley Grimes (Manchester United), Kevin O’Callaghan (Ipswich Town), Frank Stapleton (Manchester United), Michael Robinson (Brighton)
    Sub: Mickey Walsh (FC Porto) for Grealish 60 mins

RIP Tony.

off topic:
    actually this guy has put up load of videos of international goals/games in the past and worth following if that's what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

fullstop wrote: »
    Who does his son play for?

his son Jack plays with Villa (midfield) was on the u19 next gen team..they won the series ( underage champions league in effect)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

fryup wrote: »
    RIP tony

surprised he was only 56, cause as a player he always looked much older than his age

That jersey looks fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

his son Jack plays with Villa (midfield) was on the u19 next gen team..they won the series ( underage champions league in effect)

Jack isn't a relation

Advertisement