Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin counting machine in tesco Dundrum

Options
  • 23-04-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

The machine is between the regular check outs and the self service check outs. Does anyone how much it costs/what percentage of coins counted is taken for using this machine?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

tonc76 wrote: »
    The machine is between the regular check outs and the self service check outs. Does anyone how much it costs/what percentage of coins counted is taken for using this machine?

Thanks

It's free to spend an evening with some bank bags, took me about an hour to sort ~€50 in change.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

The cost of them is usually 9 or 10% of what you put into them.

If you have the time you're probably better off sorting it yourself, particularly if it's higher value coins like 20 or 50c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's free to spend an evening with some bank bags, took me about an hour to sort ~€50 in change.

Generally have €300-400 in a jar that builds up and don't fancy counting it this time. Having said that I'd rather do it than give tesco 10%.

Machine will do for 5, 2 & 1c coins which I have a stockpile of as they're not worth the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

If it's the same one that's in other Tescos then it's 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

tonc76 wrote: »
    Generally have €300-400 in a jar that builds up and don't fancy counting it this time. Having said that I'd rather do it than give tesco 10%.

Machine will do for 5, 2 & 1c coins which I have a stockpile of as they're not worth the effort!

you'd be surprised how quickly all them small coins add upp, I certainly wouldnt be inclined to give away 10% of it. If you have kids or young relatives, its great entertainment to see them counting money - they treat it like a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get an electronic scales and do it by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

It's 9.9 cent for every euro so every 10 euro you put in costs 99cent.
    You be just as well doing some shopping and pour your change into the self scan machines and pay for the shoppin that way and get the full value of your change!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

vickers209 wrote: »
    It's 9.9 cent for every euro so every 10 euro you put in costs 99cent.
    You be just as well doing some shopping and pour your change into the self scan machines and pay for the shoppin that way and get the full value of your change!!!

I can't believe this never occurred to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I think super valu have these machinces and if you spend the money in the shop they don't charge for use of the machine.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I can't believe this never occurred to me!!

You can't "pour " your coins into those self scan tills can you?

• Advertisement

desbrook wrote: »
    You can't "pour " your coins into those self scan tills can you?

the newer self scan tills u can there's a tray where u can throw a handful of coins in and it counts it up.

The older ones you had to insert 1 coin at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's a limit to the amount of coins they take though.

CianRyan wrote: »
    There's a limit to the amount of coins they take though.

not sure bout that but ive put around 25 euro in with coins from 20 cent down with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was under the impression the tesco ones gave you the option of 100% store credit?

Which tbh, is fairly useful.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I was under the impression the tesco ones gave you the option of 100% store credit?

Nope the machine takes it share as it counts it up, the amount on the screen as its counting is after it takes its share.
    you only see the amount its took on the printed receipt when your finished then you can can use the amount on the receipt to collect cash or take it off your shopping bill

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I counted 700 from my change jar but put all the coppers into the machine in Supervalu, 70 in coppers was well worth it though, would have taken about 2 hours to sort myself and a proper painful job. €7 was worth loosing for 2 hours work if you ask me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'll count it for 8%, a cup of tea and a packet of jaffa cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

errlloyd wrote: »

That's the deceitful impression they give. I am 100% sure its purposely misleading. There were threads in consumer issues about it, one guy got his commision refunded after complaining.

The give an option to get cash or use it in vouchers. So people presume the vouchers are 100% value, they presume this because why else would turn down cash in favour of vouchers, and the wording I saw was dodgy.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60272391
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72605827

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Tesco don't own the machines. They are owned and operated by a 3rd party who pay Tesco a nominal amount from the 9.9% for the right to place a machine in the store. It's not deceit. It's charging for a service. And a pretty damn useful one if you're like me and have a giant bottle filled with coppers that would take hours to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

7ofBrian wrote: »
    It's not deceit.
    Lots of people have been deceived by the machine, just look at the threads, I have seen it in several others too. And I have heard several people offline say it to me too.

If the instructions were blatantly clear I would have no problem.

People are lashing in 550 and getting 500 back and are delighted, they usually get more than they thought was in the bucket and so forget and/or are blind to the fact that they just spent €50 for a 2minute use of a machine that probably costs less than many arcade machines, or maybe those photo machines.

I cringe when I see guys pouring in buckets they can barely lift.

No doubt tesco take a nice cut of this, keeping it third party sort of absolves them of complaints. If they are not getting a good cut then they are idiots.

If I am shopping at tesco when its not busy I take a fist ful of coins from my jar. You can throw it all in and top up the remainder by CC.

EDIT: apparently even a manager in tesco agreed its misleading.
    hshortt wrote: »
    The machines states on the front that you can use the full value against shopping in Tesco or take it as cash by visiting the customer service desk. The interface is touch screen which tells you that they will take 9.9%. The end result gives you a total count, the commission amount, and then your 'full' amount.

The customer service girl said that coinstar sill take their 9.9% regardless. This was backed up by the manager who agreed that the information on the front of the machine is misleading but it's owned by coinstar and there was nothing he could do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement